Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

Obviously, AirBn'B is profit-motivated and not focused on building relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am not sure how the old B&B's worked in the UK personally, but I was under the impression that in that case you stayed in just a room as a guest in a house where people actually lived. While that can be the case with airbnb, more often you are renting an entire apartment or house for a short period.
I've mostly had that experience at traditional Bn'Bs, but some have been in semiattached flats (essentially duplexes, so not shared space), and some have been completely separate, like an awesome gate house we stayed at in Nairn, in the Scottish Highlands.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,479 times
The answer to the topic is probably the amount of bed bugs you may find at each.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Obviously, AirBn'B is profit-motivated and not focused on building relationships.
yes, and it is WHAT that profit motive is that becomes concerning. (each case will vary.
  1. There are 'legit' Ab&b operators ('trying out' hosting as a way to augment a sustainable income)
  2. Those doing Ab&b as a way to meet their monthly expenses (they are the ones who make sure you know guests are a PITA / interruption to their daily schedule. )
  3. Ab&b as a way to survive a financial crisis (foreclosure / divorce / child support / unemployment income / host has over-extended to a more expensive property than they can support, or a remodel gone bad (home is not complete, host needs extra income to finish)
I have found a lot of #3 @ Ab&b. To the point I feared for my safety (a few times). Indoor dogs has been my biggest gripe. One place had 6 huge dogs that chased you through the 'manor house'. (very large with our own 'wing' that was much bigger than my home. but... the dogs had the run of the place night and day, couches, bathrooms, kitchen... AND outdoors (the doors were kept open to allow the dogs to come and go. night and day, rain or shine (muddy dogs on the couches and beds in our case))
Several times... there have been NO amenities (no towels, toilet paper, operational toilets, hot water, functional door locks, available parking, heavy smoke saturated furnishings...)
Often the 'transaction / meeting the Ab&b host has been very difficult and awkward (in cultures / areas where I do not speak the local language / dialect) - that is my problem, not theirs, so just be 'prepared' for such. (and have a local SIM / way to contact them (including their number. postal code + email... and hope your battery on hand phone does not die before you can finally contact them))

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
The answer to the topic is probably the amount of bed bugs you may find at each.
Hotels win - (or Hostels) much higher occupancy rates / more guests who are passing through (and leaving their extra parasites behind).

Again, do what best suits you. There are lots of options (I use them all) +/-, nothing is perfect.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:15 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yes, and it is WHAT that profit motive is that becomes concerning. (each case will vary.
  1. There are 'legit' Ab&b operators ('trying out' hosting as a way to augment a sustainable income)
  2. Those doing Ab&b as a way to meet their monthly expenses (they are the ones who make sure you know guests are a PITA / interruption to their daily schedule. )
  3. Ab&b as a way to survive a financial crisis (foreclosure / divorce / child support / unemployment income / host has over-extended to a more expensive property than they can support, or a remodel gone bad (home is not complete, host needs extra income to finish)
I have found a lot of #3 @ Ab&b. To the point I feared for my safety (a few times). Indoor dogs has been my biggest gripe. One place had 6 huge dogs that chased you through the 'manor house'. (very large with our own 'wing' that was much bigger than my home. but... the dogs had the run of the place night and day, couches, bathrooms, kitchen... AND outdoors (the doors were kept open to allow the dogs to come and go. night and day, rain or shine (muddy dogs on the couches and beds in our case))
Several times... there have been NO amenities (no towels, toilet paper, operational toilets, hot water, functional door locks, available parking, heavy smoke saturated furnishings...)
Often the 'transaction / meeting the Ab&b host has been very difficult and awkward (in cultures / areas where I do not speak the local language / dialect)

Hotels win - (or Hostels) much higher occupancy rates / more guests who are passing through (and leaving their extra parasites behind).

Again, do what best suits you. There are lots of options (I use them all) +/-, nothing is perfect.

How have you found a lot of #3 or had so many bad experiences with Airbnb when you don’t really use them?

Old 05-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How have you found a lot of #3 or had so many bad experiences with Airbnb when you don’t really use them?
as mentioned... I use them all. (I travel > 50% of the time). I just don't trust Ab&b, especially the 'feedback / scoring / expectation'. It has often been blatantly false.

This is a 'frugal' forum, so everyone has their own suggestions / experiences / expectations.

Since I have had thousands of excellent stays at $20 < Guest homes, they are my preference.

I have used less than 100 Ab&b's, and they are my LEAST preferred option, and seldom 'frugal', but since I don't travel to cities... I use what is available where I am at. On occasion, that will limit me to an Ab&b. so.. I take another 'risk'.

my 'guest home stays' have made my trips delightful,
my Ab&b stays have added some horror.

each to his own!
Many of my Guest home hosts are also Ab&b, so they deal with both crowds (clients). They have a very interesting perspective, but very common response as to who they prefer to host In Copenhagen our host gave up the $150 / night Ab&b to host us for $15 / night. We had a great time (together with our host). The Ab&b clients get a $150/ night room / suite. (only.. no perks / relationship building / shared info). That Works best

best of 'luck' on your next adventure!

Old 05-19-2018, 06:10 PM

749 posts, read 852,414 times
The difference? Legality for one, not being a scumbag toward the place you are vacationing in: "Approximately 9,000 vacation rental units are active on Maui, only 223 are legal."

Maui Now : Report: Vacation Rentals Impact on Maui

Not just Maui, all over, the US, the world - try not to be a part of ruining the nice places you go, small footprint, yada, yada.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
I would not be a guest at an Airbnb property that I shared with anyone else. If I couldn't afford to rent my own space, I'd stay home.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:55 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
I was recently looking for a hotel in NYC for upcoming trip. I was looking on booking.com but I got several apartments (airb&b types) mixed in with hotels and guest house (hostels). How can some apartment be listed in with hotel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living