Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:42 PM

844 posts, read 1,433,412 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong, but from the pictures it seems that Air BnB are house motels, instead of living in a motel, you live in a rented house day to day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 08:03 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
Air BnB varies hugely. I've seen tents in a backyard listed, bedrooms in a house, mother-in-law suites, condos, and beautiful beach cottages.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:21 AM

128,990 posts, read 11,931,519 times
You don't have the same access to front desk services. Anytime I have looked at airbnb, it has always been more expensive that a comparable motel, so I stick with motels, I really have no desire to stay in a strangers home , anyhow. They might be cheaper for longer stays or for a larger group, but for an overnight for dh & myself, it has not so far, been worth it.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:22 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,249,382 times
If you stay in a house, you do get the advantage of privacy with a place to spread out, usually a washer and dryer, and a place to cook. We're a family of five so it works for us. If it were just one or two people, I might choose another option.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:11 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
Have you looked in the Travel forum?

Old 05-12-2018, 07:13 PM

24,452 posts, read 9,315,996 times
Airbnb varies greatly but in general it's someone's house/condo/apartment and has a kitchen plus washer/dryer as opposed to a hotel or motel

I stick to Airbnb. I want a place that actually feel like a house with the option to cook if I need to

Old 05-12-2018, 07:17 PM

153 posts, read 137,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Air BnB varies hugely. I've seen tents in a backyard listed, bedrooms in a house, mother-in-law suites, condos, and beautiful beach cottages.
...and even tree houses!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 PM

1,970 posts, read 6,820,578 times
This post is funny as we are planning a vacation and the hotels in one of the cities are pricey, so I am looking at Airbnb and my better half keeps thinking it is a hotel chain and keeps saying "well if the reviews are good just take airbnb".

Old 05-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
This post is funny as we are planning a vacation and the hotels in one of the cities are pricey, so I am looking at Airbnb and my better half keeps thinking it is a hotel chain and keeps saying "well if the reviews are good just take airbnb".
I have had terrible experiences with Air B&B, especially with unfounded reviews.

ALL (100%) of the Air B&B hosts have insisted we rank them a 5, though many have been a -5!

ALL had a profit motive (often owner going broke / unemployed and need money to pay the rent / house payment), few were hospitality focused. Some were dangerous, many sleepless. (one decided it was a great night for a college student all night movie night), many have various people coming and going, some were in nearly abandoned homes, (no furniture / no appliances /

in some cases... it might be a solution, but it will be my last (and I dislike hotels really BAD)

Thousands of excellent stays under $20 / worldwide. (with hosts interested in hospitality / making your trip delightful and well learned!!) 200+ stays in 2016 alone, been using these for 30+ yrs.
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

What's the difference between Air B n B / Suite/ Motel?
1) Credibility
2) accountability
3) Security
4) Business license / insurance / permitting / legal obligation / and reputation to uphold to stay in business
5) Many more... franchise / permanence / capital investment commitment / 24 hr care / responsibility / code requirements...

+/-.
But the NICE Air B&B's are gonna cost you (which is fine if you get a nice one!) (had a great one in Portugal (with adequate issues, but still nice, and very helpful hosts (rare)) Had many rotten Air B&B's in Ireland, where official B&B's are plentiful and less expensive.

Enjoy your vacation and experiences. We each have different tastes and expectations.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:21 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Airbnb varies greatly but in general it's someone's house/condo/apartment and has a kitchen plus washer/dryer as opposed to a hotel or motel

I stick to Airbnb. I want a place that actually feel like a house with the option to cook if I need to
I used Airbnb for Europe. Much less expensive than a hotel, plus they had the kitchen, as you pointed out. We purchased breakfast items to have in the morning without having to go out and buy breakfast at a cafe or restaurant. The other great advantage was that I got to stay in regular neighborhoods in Amsterdam, Paris, and London, not touristy areas. I enjoyed that. Some people might prefer to stay in the touristy spots. We walked to where we had to go in Amsterdam, took the Metro in Paris, and used the bus system in London, and we ate at least once in a neighborhood place where the locals go in each city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living