Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:16 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
^ Having one of three paid positions at a central Florida ARC resale store, my 15 month employment (30 some senior volunteers) offered a keen inside look at how stores as this operate.

After a dozen or so posts comments tend to sway away from point OP mentions. Following this path results in interesting reactions. Handicapped by this I did not mean to detail inaccurate reasoning.
It would be easier to discuss things if you weren't trying to sound like Yoda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 03:16 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Shopping at thrift stores isn't always about price or income. Some of us prefer to buy second hand goods to reduce our environmental impact.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:06 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
This post doesn't really make sense. You wanna seem classy and like you have more money so you go buy a bag from Walmart?

Not that name brands are the be all and end all of life, if looking like you had more money than you do was a priority you could get a used brand name bag from Goodwill as opposed to a Walmart purse.

Honestly I think Target and Walmart have gotten great over the years in regards to clothes. When I was a kid someone could tell if you had KMart or Walmart clothes they weren't stylish at all. Target has some super nice stuff these days for decent prices, heck even walmart does as well

Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
- "Thrift shopping" is something that has to be done "as you go." You might have a hard time going to a thrift store and finding a whole wardrobe for your family in one trip, but if you visit every week or two, you can pick up pieces as you go.

Many broke families don't shop this way. They buy clothes for themselves and their kids when they can afford it, not when good deals come along. For example, they might have extra cash to spend at tax time, but there might not be hardly anything at the thrift stores...since their kids are out of EVERYTHING, they just go to a store like Walmart and buy everything that they need right then, while they still have the money.

Alternatively, a family that has money in the bank and can pick up a pack of socks or underwear or 2 pairs of jeans or whatever as they go along doesn't have to do that...they pretty much have what they need, so they can wait and watch for good deals to come along (at thrift stores or elsewhere).

-Thrift stores in poor areas aren't very good. It's one reason why I don't go thrift shopping, except for things like stuffed animals for my dogs. I did community service at a local thrift store for over a year and have visited the few in my area many times. The clothes with holes and obvious damage are picked out, but you can still tell that most of the clothes are heavily worn and usually pretty outdated. Add on that the prices are pretty close to what you'd pay at Walmart, and it's a no-brainer.

-Discount stores like Walmart have more fashionable cheap clothing now than they used to. When you can buy a cami in a seasonal color for $1.68 or a feminine, nicely-cut T-shirt for $3 or so while you're grocery shopping, you don't really have a need to go hunt through the thrift stores. You can buy a brand new piece, pick the color, etc.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:22 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
I had a former co-worker, single male over 50 earning $100k annually, who would always shop at the thrift stores in the wealthy zip codes. He would find high-end branded men's clothes with the labels still attached at ridiculously low prices!

He would also do his grocery shopping a half-hour before the grocery store closed for the night so that he could purchase Broasted Chickens for only $1 each, and other end of the day bargains.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:30 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Things at the thrift store are more expensive than Walmart

Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,829 times
Wow. I know of people in the "lower class" who does not shop at thrift shops. Yet, hits the big retail stores on sale and has every credit card, along with 3 automobile payments and eats out daily. We all know "frugal" living does not mean low income. It is how we manage money and realize what we need vs what we want. And quality over quantity. Like I said before, 'I do not care if it comes from Nordstrom or a second hand store, if I like it and know the value, it is for me." Mind you, I do not pay full price for retail. Love the clearance rack with additional % off sales.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:21 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Wow. I know of people in the "lower class" who does not shop at thrift shops. Yet, hits the big retail stores on sale and has every credit card, along with 3 automobile payments and eats out daily. We all know "frugal" living does not mean low income. It is how we manage money and realize what we need vs what we want. And quality over quantity. Like I said before, 'I do not care if it comes from Nordstrom or a second hand store, if I like it and know the value, it is for me." Mind you, I do not pay full price for retail. Love the clearance rack with additional % off sales.

^^^^^^^^^Yes. Yes. If I like it, and know the value-AND- it's NOT retail...I might purchase it

Old 06-21-2018, 01:04 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
I can only speak from personal experience but my relative whose combined income is $150K+ per year still shops for the cheapest everything she can find. She doesn't buy luxury clothes/purses/shoes, she has a used luxury car (not even new) because it was cheaper than new, she's switching to a smaller telephone company because it's cheaper than the mainstream ones. Maybe because she just bought a house for $1 million, and it's just a regular house, not even a mansion. I suppose that's what happens when you live in a high cost of living area.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:15 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
This is amazing to me. I thought everyone shopped at thrift stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living