Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 01:37 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

We need a company to invest in wifi signals that are sent out the same way as cellular signals are and create safe connections.

WiFi by it's nature is insecure unless someone monitors it and provides a secure connection such as VPN. This costs money. Also the range and capacity of WiFi is limited without having extensive interlocked networking, again a major expense. To get a company to provide that kind of service over a large area requires a lot of investment. There is talk of the next generation cellular using 'nanocells' (or some similar catchy phrase) that will need a node for every 50-100 devices and have a range of about 1000'. One hardware provider has been looking for permits to set some nodes up in our town. They would be on phone or light poles in about every block that they need to cover. The limiting factor is not distance but number of devices each would support. They then plan on getting leases from cell companies (or other providers) to use the sites to provide better service The cost of the equipment for what they estimate as supporting 75-100 devices is not trivial. And the intent is that it will be indistinguishable from cellular to the user devices.

When my kids are over visiting we have somewhere in the range of 25-30 devices using cell service in our house. And if I were to convert my cable connected network devices to use the same cell based network it might shoot up another 6-10 and a few of those that do streaming and such would probably actually count for more than 1 so we are at the lower limit of a 'nanocell' by ourself! ANd wait for a snow day when the entire neighborhood is home from school. I can see the difference in performance of the cable network at those times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 04:34 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Move to a Google fiber city, sign up for their free internet package

Old 05-27-2018, 08:05 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Move to a Google fiber city, sign up for their free internet package
Free? the cheapest they have is $50 a month. it's cheaper to go with your cable internet.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:07 AM

I just read in another thread that there is a wifi antenna you can buy that extends the range of public wifi. If you are close enough to an open public wifi such as McD, Walmart, Library or Public building you can connect for free if it reaches you with the boosted signal.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:20 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Quote:
Free? the cheapest they have is $50 a month. it's cheaper to go with your cable internet.

Here if you pay for the install, you get 5mb for life in some locations Free.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
How much is the install $10K

Old 05-28-2018, 12:42 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Right now my most unfrugal bill is my bundle package I have..phone, internet, cable, and I pay about 155 a month, which I think is too much.

Any suggestions on how I can cut that? I just bought a more expensive cell phone, which is why I may eliminate my home phone..so thats one way.

But I still want cable and hi speed internet.
You need to find out the cost of internet only. Most cable companies offer it for around $60 for 30 or higher. Make sure they don't limit you on data, most cable companies don't but Uverse does unless you pay more. Now, if you don't have a smart tv get yourself either a Roku or Firestick. Roku is better in that it has more apps. If you already have Amazon prime you can then download to the Roku the amazon prime video app plus other apps many of which are free service. There are also other apps that are paid service like Sony Vue and Direct TV that give you actual cable tv stations at a much lower cost. You can also get an antenna to pick up local channels.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:47 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
I just read in another thread that there is a wifi antenna you can buy that extends the range of public wifi. If you are close enough to an open public wifi such as McD, Walmart, Library or Public building you can connect for free if it reaches you with the boosted signal.
If you do any online banking or shopping you do not want to use a public wifi. Most cable companies you can get decent internet alone for $60 or less. For those who are in areas that over the air isn't good, some of the streaming companies are providing some areas with local broadcasting. Check them out to see if they do for your area.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:28 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post

Where is 'Here'?

Old 05-28-2018, 04:16 PM

24,627 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Buy the internet, decline to the cable and telephone bundle.

If they don’t budge call someone else.

Sign up for sling TV. If you have a smart TV, even better. Smart TV come with pre-installed apps such a sling tv, Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon prime, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living