Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:21 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

Reassure me, fellow frugality fanatics: I just spend nearly $800 on automotive repairs for a ten-year-old subcompact car which I plan to sell or trade in within the next year, the rationale being that I'll need safety on the long-distance drives I'll continue to do in the meantime. Now I'm worried that it wasn't "well spent." Mostly maintenance issues that I had long deferred; none urgent, but some hard to say re: failure risk. It seems most cars get to the point where they're nickel-and-diming you to death, and that's a hard call!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 08:14 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,796 times
I did the same thing, no regrets. I spent over 1000.00

Old 07-09-2018, 08:40 AM

What justified it, in your mind? Because surely we won't recoup that investment when we finally sell...

Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Reassure me, fellow frugality fanatics: I just spend nearly $800 on automotive repairs for a ten-year-old subcompact car which I plan to sell or trade in within the next year, the rationale being that I'll need safety on the long-distance drives I'll continue to do in the meantime. Now I'm worried that it wasn't "well spent." Mostly maintenance issues that I had long deferred; none urgent, but some hard to say re: failure risk. It seems most cars get to the point where they're nickel-and-diming you to death, and that's a hard call!

I dropped $400 for tires into my 1998 Dodge B1500 van.....I WAS thinking of buying another, but thought "Wait, those tires are dang near new still"...So, I'll wait till next year and hope to have $7K worth of bills paid off...(I owe $15K right now)

Old 07-09-2018, 12:14 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
What justified it, in your mind? Because surely we won't recoup that investment when we finally sell...

It's not only about whether you recoup the cost of repairs in a sale. Older cars cost less to operate than newer ones in a few ways... lower fees for keeping tags current (in most states, anyways), lower cost for insurance, and lower depreciation per year.

IMO, keeping a car running for no more than $1000/year would be a no-brainer, financially speaking. That will be cheaper than owning a new, or nearly new, car any day of the week. Of course the catch is there's no limit on how many $$ it could cost in a year. Then there's also the inconvenience factor of having to take the car in for repairs more and more frequently.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:

I just spend nearly $800 on automotive repairs...
Mostly maintenance issues that I had long deferred...
Is another term for these 'wear items' like brakes, belts, tires, and such?

Old 07-09-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
It's not only about whether you recoup the cost of repairs in a sale. Older cars cost less to operate than newer ones in a few ways... lower fees for keeping tags current (in most states, anyways), lower cost for insurance, and lower depreciation per year.

IMO, keeping a car running for no more than $1000/year would be a no-brainer, financially speaking. That will be cheaper than owning a new, or nearly new, car any day of the week. Of course the catch is there's no limit on how many $$ it could cost in a year. Then there's also the inconvenience factor of having to take the car in for repairs more and more frequently.
If I were planning to keep it forever, I would agree and wouldn't balk, but because I intend to sell it within the year -- which I likely could've gotten away with without making $800 in repairs -- that kind of stings. Still, given this or breaking down on the highway in the meantime, I prefer paying the piper.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:57 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
If I were planning to keep it forever, I would agree and wouldn't balk, but because I intend to sell it within the year -- which I likely could've gotten away with without making $800 in repairs -- that kind of stings. Still, given this or breaking down on the highway in the meantime, I prefer paying the piper.
Honestly, $800 is not a lot of money when it comes to keeping a car running. I guess it depends exactly what you had done, but things like brakes or steering really shouldn't be compromised.

I was in a similar situation earlier this year. I have an 18-yo car which I put new clutch hydraulics into in 2017. Now the a/c compressor is out (I live in Phoenix metro) and I'm not going to put the money in for that repair (about $850). It's not that the $850 is a big deal, but honestly it's a really old car and there are lots of other things that could go wrong with it. There's still a lot of original equipment on that car... power steering pump, alternator, motor mounts, just to name a few. We bought a replacement car. I'll drive the old car one more winter if it holds up, and then donate it to a charity.

Last edited by hikernut; 07-09-2018 at 01:08 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 01:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I put $1500 into a 21 year old car. That was two years ago. Still going. Replaced the steering and suspension components and put four new tires on.

Well worth it and it drives like new again. I do plan to keep it for the foreseeable future. Why dump a car that drives well and is still reliable? Especially at that age. Just drive it until it quits.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:36 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Why sell of its all fixed up? May as well ride it as long as you can as long as its not breaking down or breaking the bank. Just my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living