Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:38 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

they say that using caps will consume more bandwidth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
For example, one can be environmentally frugal. Like using the blank backs of junk mail for printer paper. Or just time-frugal, by thinking of a more efficient way to double task.

This morning, I saw a post in CD that someone replied to. There were six YouTube videos in the post. The person replying just hit the Quote button, enclosed the entire post in the quote box, and said "I agree". I mean, how frugal is that, with bandwidth?

People frugal with money are probably also constitutionally frugal in other ways.
Interesting perspective. We should aspire to work smarter not harder.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:56 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Being economical with my time, I call it. A good example for me that really has been a "life hack" and I appreciate and understand it simply doesn't work for a lot of people is to get some home gym equipment here at my house, real stuff that I use. So I bought a bench press / Smith machine combo with safety pins where I can do free weight bench or squats, but also put it on the Smith machine if I wanted, and I have a pulley system plus two adjustable free weight dumbbell stacks. What I do is work out while watching a sporting event or often times a movie, and since (as a filmmaker) watching a lot of movies is part of my "weekly tasks" I'm able to double what I'm doing at the same time. I can check two boxes within the same period of time, basically, and never leave the house doing it.

I also re-use almost all paper for both sides, so when I have to print something then after that has outlived its necessary use, then I put it in a pile of paper that I use for outlining screenplays and just use the back sides of the paper. No reason to waste more paper when the back side is totally blank and it's just outlining notes that I'll end up later inputting into the computer anyway.

I admit when I have my weekly call with my top employee, I usually write checks during that time (it's mindless) while we're talking that go out to our contractors and whatnot, that way it compresses the time further so two tasks are being done at once. As much as possible, I really like to multitask in those ways, but not at the expense of what I'm doing. I wouldn't try to do two mentally taxing things at once, but if you can find "natural" combinations of chores sometimes it's really a great way to "find" extra time in your day, I think.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:38 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I admit, as soon as I can afford one, I really want a robot vacuum cleaner to help me deal with dog hair. I can't physically wrangle a giant vacuum cleaner anymore, and my lightweight one just doesn't pick it all up. It really needs to be vacuumed up more often, but I don't have it in me. I can't wait to be able to just turn on a robot every day to tackle it for me.

So, see? I just saved almost enough for a robot vacuum cleaner. Maybe for Christmas for myself this year, I'll get one.
I got a Roomba a few years ago and have 3 black labs that seem to shed way more hair then I think they should. The thing with a Roomba is that the collection bin is small so you have to empty it very often. So that means that you should use it every day, not let it go until the fur is ankle deep. LOL

When I use my small shop vac on my hardwood floors I can also get the hair that winds up on the baseboards, low shelves, etc. The roomba can't do that. Still, I think that it's worth having one.

In the bedroom it does not fit under the dressers or entertainment center but it does a good job under my king size bed. In the living room it fits under one sofa but not the other. So no single solution for all areas.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:54 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Frugality is never just about money. Frugality is about obtaining the best value and benefit from a combination of your money, time and effort.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Frugality is never just about money. Frugality is about obtaining the best value and benefit from a combination of your money, time and effort.

This.

There are some things that you need to buy quality. My husband and I build a lot of things so we need very good quality tools. We've had some for more than 40 years. Buy quality and they will work well and last.

Cars are another thing. Buy used and pay cash. Save on the payments and also on the first year "new" car loss.

I print coupons for Lowes all the time. I cut out the coupon part and save the rest of the paper to use for lists. I also cut up the fronts of all of the greeting cards I get. They make great bookmarks for my "library" books I am somewhat of a paper fiend. I constantly make lists...maybe some psychological thing, lol, but there it is. Anyway every Back to School year I stock up on notebooks, pens and copy paper.

Also doing things yourself will save lots of money. My husband and I just finished my kitchen. I shopped prices and found Ready To Assemble cabinets online. They cost $2700 for 18 cabinets plus the accessories. When the counter man came to install the counter he complimented our cabinets and said they must have cost about $11,000. and he sees a lot of kitchens

Frugality is the fun of finding the best deal. Nothing makes me happier than scoring a great bargain...but only if I can use it or need it

Old 08-05-2018, 05:53 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There's perhaps another side to the "frugality is not always just about money" discussion; for example, when it comes to "value" versus "price."

When it comes to buying things, I don't really worry much about the price, except, I do expect the value to justify a higher price.

If it doesn't, I may not buy the item, ... not because I can't afford it or am unwilling to spend that much money, but, because of the principle of not paying more than something is worth --- just because I can.
This pretty much sums it up for me too. I have a “waste not, want not” outlook. I buy quality, but I only buy things I need, for the best value I can find.

Two examples....
There is a line of clothing I wear, but I will only buy it from the store, because the shipping and handling from the catalog is almost $18. This is a total rip off, and I won’t pay it.

We get the daily newspaper, which we enjoy, but some days there’s not much to it. It’s up to $41.+ a month, so we’ve decided to let it go. We’ll miss it, but it’s just not a good value anymore.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:41 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Well stated !

Old 08-05-2018, 12:49 PM

145 posts, read 104,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
For example, one can be environmentally frugal. Like using the blank backs of junk mail for printer paper. Or just time-frugal, by thinking of a more efficient way to double task.

This morning, I saw a post in CD that someone replied to. There were six YouTube videos in the post. The person replying just hit the Quote button, enclosed the entire post in the quote box, and said "I agree". I mean, how frugal is that, with bandwidth?

People frugal with money are probably also constitutionally frugal in other ways.
Agreed. For me being frugal means being efficient and money saved is a by product.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:02 PM

145 posts, read 104,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I love when that happens! ...and always wonder what they were thinking to throw such a thing away - but also grateful that they did.
I think it has to do with America's consumer culture. In my observation American society is permeated with a penchant to spend, so many people would buy something not out of need but simply because they want to buy it and then throw it away when the impulse is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living