U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 03:01 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,969 times

Advertisements

Love thy neighbor, but don’t tear down your fences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 03:08 PM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Who owns the fence and the posts?

Old 07-14-2018, 05:09 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
That's what I asked.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:55 PM

184 posts, read 118,758 times
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. I like the different opinions.

To answer some of your questions:

1. I don't resent my neighbor for their large new home. I am frustrated with my neighbor though. She is passive-aggressive and I don't appreciate her attitude. She said she was going to do one thing and then changed. And changed again.

2. Sorry this gate thing is tricky. Maybe I can post a picture. How do I do that on here? The gate is in good enough condition. It looks fine and is functional. Just needs some new stain/paint. There is no joint that separates it from the fence. I don't think it is possible to tear down the fence and keep the gate intact. Hence why we would replace it.

3. The cost of the gate is high, but that's the going rate for a double white vinyl gate and to have it installed and the old one removed. I have not done a ton of research because I was going to use the same company as my neighbor.

4. I am going to dig though our home survey and see exactly where the fence sits with regards to the property line. I'm pretty sure it is right on the property line. There is no way for the fence to be brought closer them as they built their house within 5 feet of the property line.

5. Could I afford the $150? Yes. However, it's not about the money. It's about staying true to your word and creating a win-win. Before even her moving in I already am not thrilled with her. I'm sure she is not a fan of us either over this incident. Giving her $150 is not going to make me feel better about her.

Thanks again.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:10 PM

12,679 posts, read 9,425,981 times
I don't understand what a "double fence" is. I've never heard of it. Can you describe it?

Old 07-14-2018, 09:49 PM

16,476 posts, read 15,913,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I don't understand what a "double fence" is. I've never heard of it. Can you describe it?
Do you mean a fence with one row of posts in the middle and two sets of boards, so that both you and the neighbor have "a nice side" (the "outside" side) facing your property?

Old 07-15-2018, 03:14 AM

5,473 posts, read 8,162,916 times
If they wanted a perfectly functional fence and gate replaced I would not pay for the fence OR the gate.

This is why I live in the country, where property is not measured in inches.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:25 AM

5,577 posts, read 4,782,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. I like the different opinions.

To answer some of your questions:

1. I don't resent my neighbor for their large new home. I am frustrated with my neighbor though. She is passive-aggressive and I don't appreciate her attitude. She said she was going to do one thing and then changed. And changed again.

2. Sorry this gate thing is tricky. Maybe I can post a picture. How do I do that on here? The gate is in good enough condition. It looks fine and is functional. Just needs some new stain/paint. There is no joint that separates it from the fence. I don't think it is possible to tear down the fence and keep the gate intact. Hence why we would replace it.

3. The cost of the gate is high, but that's the going rate for a double white vinyl gate and to have it installed and the old one removed. I have not done a ton of research because I was going to use the same company as my neighbor.

4. I am going to dig though our home survey and see exactly where the fence sits with regards to the property line. I'm pretty sure it is right on the property line. There is no way for the fence to be brought closer them as they built their house within 5 feet of the property line.

5. Could I afford the $150? Yes. However, it's not about the money. It's about staying true to your word and creating a win-win. Before even her moving in I already am not thrilled with her. I'm sure she is not a fan of us either over this incident. Giving her $150 is not going to make me feel better about her.

Thanks again.
Are you sure the house is 5 feet from the property line? I think you better find out where your property ends.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:31 AM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Are you sure the house is 5 feet from the property line? I think you better find out where your property ends.
OP can view plat and building line at tax assessor's office.
If the fence was a shared project of the two original owners and is not in prime shape - what kind of fence will the new neighbor have put up? Will it be an improvement for all parties involved?
What does the neighbor's profession and cost of her house have to do with the fence issue? Apparently she offered to leave the existing fence and be done with.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:38 AM

7,108 posts, read 2,891,028 times
I would tell the neighbor you’re planning on renting the house on section 8. That may snap some sense into her. Let her pay for the fence she is so eager to tear down. I wouldn’t even consider paying half at this point. She must think she is a real genius with her bulling tactics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or