U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 AM

16,702 posts, read 20,456,636 times

Advertisements

Okay, I think I understand what's happening now. OP, first, she would irritate the stuffing out of me, too. When I first read your OP, I thought to heck with her!

But, on further reflection - I think you actually negotiated really well with her. You got the cost down to $150 as your part of the removal cost. In exchange, you're going to get an otherwise free new fence for your new home. That's pretty amazing, when you think about it.

And all you have to then do is pay for a new gate.

Granted, you would have waited 5 years to do it, but I'm kind of thinking this is a gift horse, if you get my meaning, and even though she's incredibly obnoxious, you're really getting a dang good deal here. Fences are really expensive.

So, you can now say yes, but it doesn't mean she "won." Because you negotiated a 50% off deal with her. She'll know going forward, that she's not just going to always get her way. So, I say well done - and take the free fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 07:01 AM

4,752 posts, read 2,177,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Greetings,

A couple weeks later the neighbor said the cost of removing the double fence is $300 (not including our gate. She left the gate out of the quote) and asked if we would contribute. We said, that we didn't feel the burden was on us as we would have to pay to remove our gate and replace is to match their new fence. That was enough of an expense for us at this time. Oh yeah, the neighbor is a doctor at the house is $400k.

They asked again saying they would be agreeable to us paying $150 to take down the fence instead of the full $300. We again stated that we are 100% agreeable to have the fence taken down and to remove/replace our gate but the actual fence removal is on them unless it includes gate removal (then we would pay). By the way it will cost about $1,500 to replace our gate. And we are not rich.

The neighbor then said she'd just take her side of the double fence as we were not willing. Mind you this fence is actually once fence (i.e. posts in ground) simply with two sides. She then said the other neighbor gave her the full $300 to have the other double fence removed as they are putting up a new fence and will benefit from it.

What do you guys think?
Why not let the neighbor know that although fence and gate are on your renovation list, you have other priorities at this time and that will let them know when you are ready to update the fence. Suggest that if they want to replace the boards on their side of the fence, they should do so when it suits them, but you will not be allocating funds for the fence at this time. It might be a good idea to stipulate that any replacement fence should be the same height as the existing fence.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:10 AM

5,751 posts, read 3,035,945 times
I think I get the picture. We lived in a neighborhood like that. In our case the original builder put up a common fence on all property lines. So the "who owns the fence" and "who maintains the fence" was a constant issue. The whole thing was getting aged and falling in places, but getting neighboring homeowners to agree was about impossible. Sections would fall down and one homeowner would want to replace it, but the other would just prop it up with some boards. And because it was dual owned, you could only patch your side; you couldn't just replace it without the other homeowner agreeing.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:16 AM

4,752 posts, read 2,177,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Okay, I think I understand what's happening now. OP, first, she would irritate the stuffing out of me, too. When I first read your OP, I thought to heck with her!

But, on further reflection - I think you actually negotiated really well with her. You got the cost down to $150 as your part of the removal cost. In exchange, you're going to get an otherwise free new fence for your new home. That's pretty amazing, when you think about it.

Granted, you would have waited 5 years to do it, but I'm kind of thinking this is a gift horse, if you get my meaning, and even though she's incredibly obnoxious, you're really getting a dang good deal here. Fences are really expensive.

So, you can now say yes, but it doesn't mean she "won." Because you negotiated a 50% off deal with her. She'll know going forward, that she's not just going to always get her way. So, I say well done - and take the free fence.
A fence that supports a gate will have a lot more structural integrity than a fence that keeps the children contained. I think it would be well worth the time to contact the company that provided the estimate to request a second estimate that includes the gate replacement. $300 seems cheap to replace a fence, but that does depend on the cost of lumber and labor in the area.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:55 AM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
A fence that supports a gate will have a lot more structural integrity than a fence that keeps the children contained. I think it would be well worth the time to contact the company that provided the estimate to request a second estimate that includes the gate replacement. $300 seems cheap to replace a fence, but that does depend on the cost of lumber and labor in the area.
300 is for tear down. You may want to look into the price for fencing.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:01 AM

184 posts, read 118,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Do you mean a fence with one row of posts in the middle and two sets of boards, so that both you and the neighbor have "a nice side" (the "outside" side) facing your property?
Exactly!

Old 07-15-2018, 08:27 AM

184 posts, read 118,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I appreciate this insight.

Here's the tricky part. We live in an old school area where all the properties are different shapes and sizes. There used to be an alley that has become part of our property. We have a very long but narrow lot. We share property lines with six neighbors. We have an old chain link fence in our backyard that is shared with four neighbors. We plan on removing and replacing that fence 100% on our own within the next couple of years. One neighbor we share a wooden fence with and it is fine.

The neighbor I am speaking of lives on a corner lot. The fence is on the side of our front yard area. It used to enclose the backyard of the house that was there. This is no longer the case as the new house essentially doesn't have a backyard.

We don't really need a fence along the front yard of our property. It doesn't add any value to our house or property. If the neighbor instead shared our backyard with the chain link fence we would gladly pay for half the removal and the replacement.

I hope I'm making sense.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 AM

2,883 posts, read 1,014,551 times
If the fence is on the property line, it's a shared fence. You can google the rules for fences in your area - most of the time it's a 50/50 thing. She has already given you an accommodation - what you are doing is not going to help anything - so vengeful and spiteful. Just pay it and move on!

Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 AM

11,605 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
Greetings,

I live in a small 60 year old home with my husband that we bought about two years ago. It is a fixer upper and we've been making progress with updating it as funds become available. It is starting to look nice both outside and inside.

I live in a gentrifying neighborhood and huge new homes are being built. The house next to me was knocked down and a new large home (2500 sq feet) is going in. There is a "double fence" between our properties that is wooden. It has about five years of life left. The fence attaches to our double wooden gate that was likely put up at the same time.

The new neighbor asked if they could take down the fence. We said sure, no problem. They also asked if we would like a quote to take down and replace our gate as it has to be done with the fence removal given it's attachment. We said sure.

A couple weeks later the neighbor said the cost of removing the double fence is $300 (not including our gate. She left the gate out of the quote) and asked if we would contribute. We said, that we didn't feel the burden was on us as we would have to pay to remove our gate and replace is to match their new fence. That was enough of an expense for us at this time. Oh yeah, the neighbor is a doctor at the house is $400k.

They asked again saying they would be agreeable to us paying $150 to take down the fence instead of the full $300. We again stated that we are 100% agreeable to have the fence taken down and to remove/replace our gate but the actual fence removal is on them unless it includes gate removal (then we would pay). By the way it will cost about $1,500 to replace our gate. And we are not rich.

The neighbor then said she'd just take her side of the double fence as we were not willing. Mind you this fence is actually once fence (i.e. posts in ground) simply with two sides. She then said the other neighbor gave her the full $300 to have the other double fence removed as they are putting up a new fence and will benefit from it.

What do you guys think?
I think she is trying to get every penny she can from you and is lying. She is hoping you want the new fence and will give in.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 AM

16,702 posts, read 20,456,636 times
Quote:
I appreciate this insight.

Here's the tricky part. We live in an old school area where all the properties are different shapes and sizes. There used to be an alley that has become part of our property. We have a very long but narrow lot. We share property lines with six neighbors. We have an old chain link fence in our backyard that is shared with four neighbors. We plan on removing and replacing that fence 100% on our own within the next couple of years. One neighbor we share a wooden fence with and it is fine.

The neighbor I am speaking of lives on a corner lot. The fence is on the side of our front yard area. It used to enclose the backyard of the house that was there. This is no longer the case as the new house essentially doesn't have a backyard.

We don't really need a fence along the front yard of our property. It doesn't add any value to our house or property. If the neighbor instead shared our backyard with the chain link fence we would gladly pay for half the removal and the replacement.

I hope I'm making sense.
This is really difficult to picture without photos or sketches.

Question, though - why is there a gate on a fence you don't need? And if you don't need the fence with the gate, why worry about a new gate?

Actually, sorry, but I give up unless you can provide sketches or photos. Best of luck to you. I just don't know how to advise, as I don't understand this at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or