U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 12:04 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,546,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. I like the different opinions.

2. Sorry this gate thing is tricky. Maybe I can post a picture. How do I do that on here? The gate is in good enough condition. It looks fine and is functional. Just needs some new stain/paint. There is no joint that separates it from the fence. I don't think it is possible to tear down the fence and keep the gate intact. Hence why we would replace it.

Before even her moving in I already am not thrilled with her. I'm sure she is not a fan of us either over this incident. Giving her $150 is not going to make me feel better about her.

Thanks again.
I'll make one more attempt to figure out why you would have to replace your entire gate instead of installing a new support post that the gate anchors to.

When you look at a typical fence structure there are anchor posts (set in the ground, maybe set in concrete) positioned at some repeated interval along the entire length of it. The anchor posts may not be very visible because they sit between the fence boards...you did say there are fence boards on their side as well as yours, right? Then there should be some sort of horizontal supports (maybe near top and bottom) that connect all these anchor posts together. The fence boards are attached to the horizontal supports, which creates the solid fence. I'm suggesting that your gate's hinges are attached to an anchor post, just about has to be at a corner. This forms the "joint". Otherwise, every time you move your gate their entire fence would also move. Doesn't make sense.

The hinges for any gate must be attached to something more solid than typical fence boards. The boards probably aren't rigid enough to support the weight of your gate on their own. What the neighbors need to do while installing their new fence is position an anchor post where your gate's hinges would need to be located. This creates the new "joint". They can install whatever fence boards they want after that. Your existing gate can be hung on the new hinges. No need to replace the entire thing.

What I was attempting to suggest is that you and the neighbor split the cost of a new anchor post in the right spot to hang your gate. Can't believe there isn't one now, or that a new one couldn't be positioned so it supports that particular section of their fence as well as your gate. Win win.

You could also get your own advice from a fence installer. Maybe they can suggest a good compromise that you can use to counter your neighbor. Provide a more neutral opinion.

You can coexist with this neighbor you've decided you don't like or not. This spat over a silly fence could make a huge difference in how pleasant your time in your home ends up being. No one else can solve that one.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-15-2018 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 01:21 PM

184 posts, read 118,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'll make one more attempt to figure out why you would have to replace your entire gate instead of installing a new support post that the gate anchors to.

When you look at a typical fence structure there are anchor posts (set in the ground, maybe set in concrete) positioned at some repeated interval along the entire length of it. The anchor posts may not be very visible because they sit between the fence boards...you did say there are fence boards on their side as well as yours, right? Then there should be some sort of horizontal supports (maybe near top and bottom) that connect all these anchor posts together. The fence boards are attached to the horizontal supports, which creates the solid fence. I'm suggesting that your gate's hinges are attached to an anchor post. This forms the "joint". Otherwise, every time you move your gate their entire fence would also move. Doesn't make sense.

The hinges for any gate must be attached to something more solid than typical fence boards. The boards probably aren't rigid enough to support the weight of your gate on their own. What the neighbors need to do while installing their new fence is position an anchor post where your gate's hinges would need to be located. This creates the new "joint". They can install whatever fence boards they want after that. Your existing gate can be hung on the new hinges. No need to replace the entire thing.

What I was attempting to suggest is that you and the neighbor split the cost of a new anchor post in the right spot to hang your gate. Can't believe there isn't one now, or that a new one couldn't be positioned so it supports that particular section of their fence as well as your gate. Win win.

You could also get your own advice from a fence installer. Maybe they can suggest a good compromise that you can use to counter your neighbor. Provide a more neutral opinion.

You can coexist with this neighbor you've decided you don't like or not. This spat over a silly fence could make a huge difference in how pleasant your time in your home ends up being. No one else can solve that one.
Thanks. That is a great idea! A win-win.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,565,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Much depends upon where the fence is located.

If on the property line, and you're agreeable to replacing the fence, then you have a shared responsibility (which doesn't necessarily mean 50-50 split if the issue is cosmetic and not a functional need to replace the fence)

If the fence is inside one property or the other, then the fence is that property owner's sole responsibility. It would be neighborly if both property owners agreed upon a cosmetic/functional basis and split the expenses, but if the fence that's coming down is on your neighbor's property, I'd tell them that you're not interested in paying for something that you don't need.
Didn't y'all have a survey done when you bought that house?

When I lived in NY and bought a house with a fully fenced yard, the lawyer went to each neighbor and negotiated to adjust the property boundaries to match the fenceline. They basically just had to sign that no money need change hands, but the survey maps would be adjusted accordingly. That was standard practice in the county where we lived. At the time I thought it was just a way for the lawyer to make money.

When I moved to NC I discovered that no one bothers with stuff like this and you end up with bad feelings or bad business. My neighbors had to cut down a dying tree that was on my side of the fence but truly on their property. I did not pay them a dime (mostly because I didn't have a dime to pay). If they had been smart, they would have had a lawyer get me to 'buy' that property from them when they moved in. Then I would have had to pay for that tree removal.

Good fences really do make good neighbors.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:53 PM

7,051 posts, read 3,703,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If the fence is on the property line, it's a shared fence. You can google the rules for fences in your area - most of the time it's a 50/50 thing. She has already given you an accommodation - what you are doing is not going to help anything - so vengeful and spiteful. Just pay it and move on!

Huh? If the fence fell over in a storm, that's one thing. But according to the OP, the fence is perfectly fine and functional. The 50/50 thing doesn't cover one party wanting to make an unnecessary improvement and forcing half the cost onto another party.

OP, don't be induced into an improvement you would not otherwise have made.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:42 AM

5,476 posts, read 8,165,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If the fence is on the property line, it's a shared fence. You can google the rules for fences in your area - most of the time it's a 50/50 thing. She has already given you an accommodation - what you are doing is not going to help anything - so vengeful and spiteful. Just pay it and move on!
How is it an accommodation when it's something they want, (they are pushing on you), and you don't that they want you to pay for?
(Acomidation going the other way I'd say...)

Old 07-16-2018, 02:48 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,966,341 times
Why have a gate between your yards at all?

Old 07-16-2018, 05:52 AM

11,701 posts, read 16,450,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
I appreciate this insight.

Here's the tricky part. We live in an old school area where all the properties are different shapes and sizes. There used to be an alley that has become part of our property. We have a very long but narrow lot. We share property lines with six neighbors. We have an old chain link fence in our backyard that is shared with four neighbors. We plan on removing and replacing that fence 100% on our own within the next couple of years. One neighbor we share a wooden fence with and it is fine.

The neighbor I am speaking of lives on a corner lot. The fence is on the side of our front yard area. It used to enclose the backyard of the house that was there. This is no longer the case as the new house essentially doesn't have a backyard.

We don't really need a fence along the front yard of our property. It doesn't add any value to our house or property. If the neighbor instead shared our backyard with the chain link fence we would gladly pay for half the removal and the replacement.

I hope I'm making sense.
According to your other posts all she is asking is 150 to share removal. She does not share your back yard chain link so that is a mute point.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:13 PM

534 posts, read 143,578 times
Extremely confusing thread. OP, are you saying your neighbor wants to remove the fence and not replace it with a new one and they expect you to pay half for the removal of it? do you even know if they plan to replace it with a new fence and if so if they plan to pay for it? why would they do that? If you get a new boundary fence for the cost of 1/2 of the removal of the old one then obviously you are being the cheap one, but I'm totally confused as to whether this is the situation.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:44 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,718,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
ADULT BULLY.

!
Lawd. Kinda jumping the gun with the "bully" usage.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:55 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,773,390 times
I'm curious if any progress was made with the neighbor and fence. What about an update OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or