U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 AM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times

Advertisements

So it was worth the time and effort it took to go back into the store to get a dollar? I hope the ice cream didn't melt.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 08:14 AM

22,670 posts, read 28,559,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
You aren't getting responses for hardcore couponers lol.

Generally, "Redeemable at" on a manufacturer's coupon does NOT mean that the coupon can only be redeemed at that store. As you mentioned, it's an advertisement for that store.

If a coupon says, "Redeemable ONLY at" or similar, then it's only redeemable at that store.

Of course, most store coupon policies do have verbiage along the lines of "Management has the right to refuse coupons," etc., so they don't HAVE to. However, you are right.

https://www.livingrichwithcoupons.co...e-coupons.html
that is an interesting article. ultimately, all that should really matter is if the store can go to the manufacturer and get reimbursed for the coupon even if it isnt the one named. if so, they should accept it.

the annoying thing will be encountering cashiers and then managers that are ignorant on this and will just deny you. during the period that i tried "couponing" i dealt with enough of these types that it makes it too annoying much of the time. i would typically stop in the morning before work so that at least its empty and i dont have to delay other shoppers.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:40 PM

124 posts, read 44,422 times
And in the meantime, the ice cream melted....

Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,386,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So it was worth the time and effort it took to go back into the store to get a dollar? I hope the ice cream didn't melt.
A buck is a buck. I'm not particularly frugal but I use coupons and would have taken the 5-10 minutes to go to CS.

(My ice cream would also have been in an insulated bag.)

Old 07-20-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
A buck is a buck. I'm not particularly frugal but I use coupons and would have taken the 5-10 minutes to go to CS.

(My ice cream would also have been in an insulated bag.)
So you value your time at $6 an hour. Any chance you're looking for a job?

Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,386,390 times
Quote:
So you value your time at $6 an hour. Any chance you're looking for a job?
When I'm out running errands, such as food shopping, I don't "price" my time. I live in a rural-ish area, where round trip to the supermarket is 40 miles. An extra 10 minutes is no big deal to me. Can't be in a rush in my area.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 AM

4,095 posts, read 1,715,405 times
Quote:
Lol. Exactly my thinking.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 9,994,274 times
I don't think the issue here is either one $1 coupon or melting ice cream. It seems like many store clerks today are (generally) uninformed, lazy and unconcerned about customer satisfaction. Although I don't use many coupons, I often check my receipts and invariably find pricing and other discount errors (always in the favor of the store or restaurant!), that the clerk cannot handle and which require speaking to a manager.

I know that store clerks/waiters are not overpaid (although, in our vacation-town, they typically make $11-$15 per hour, plus tips). They are also not Harvard graduates and don't have much latitude or authority. Still, there seems to be a general, "I'm here, what else do you want" attitude and work ethic -- that I do not remember having many years ago when I was working those jobs.

For example, in the OP's case, the clerk could have diffused the matter, by simply saying, "I'm so sorry, but, I don't think we honor that coupon in this store -- Would you like me to page my manager for you?" Instead, the customer is now aggravated and even though she got her $1 ice cream coupon, blasting the store on CD and elsewhere - and unlikely to feel good about shopping at that store in the future.

I know it's not the entire reason, but, multiply this type of situation millions of times and it's easy to see why online stores/sales are thriving and brick & mortar stores are failing. Without a positive customer service attitude among employees, (in light of rapid shipping and often lower prices), there is little to engender customer loyalty.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
When I'm out running errands, such as food shopping, I don't "price" my time. I live in a rural-ish area, where round trip to the supermarket is 40 miles. An extra 10 minutes is no big deal to me. Can't be in a rush in my area.
That seems like kind of a backward, inefficient way to look at it. If I'm spending almost an hour and a half driving to the store and back you can bet your biffie I'm going to minimize the amount of time spent at the store as much as possible.

Money comes and goes. Time just goes.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:12 PM

22,670 posts, read 28,559,598 times
Quote:
That seems like kind of a backward, inefficient way to look at it. If I'm spending almost an hour and a half driving to the store and back you can bet your biffie I'm going to minimize the amount of time spent at the store as much as possible.

Money comes and goes. Time just goes.
i guess if you live 40 miles from a grocery store you have accepted that it will take you a long time to get places. cant live there if you havent.

you would probably spend plenty of time in the supermarket to make sure that you get everything that you need to minimize trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or