Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 02:33 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i guess if you live 40 miles from a grocery store you have accepted that it will take you a long time to get places. cant live there if you havent.

you would probably spend plenty of time in the supermarket to make sure that you get everything that you need to minimize trips.
Of course you would. Which is all the more reason to avoid extra hassles that would hold you up.

We're talking about taking an extra ten minutes to get a dollar back. The possibility existed that the manager could have refused to honor it, in which case she might have spent even more time trying to change her mind and eventually walked away with nothing. With ice cream in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 02:35 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,767 times
For the record, the time used from when I left the checkout through the time I was back in the store and the customer svc manager accepted my coupon was five, six minutes max. Even I was surprised.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Some people seem to taking being in a store or shopping as some sort of offense to life, to the point of ridiculousness. I guess they need to race home to watch reality tv, or have a life so pressed for a moment of spare time that they can barely make time to put a scathing post on CD about ten minutes of wasted time...

One of my likes of Aldi led to a solution to the frozen food issue. To keep from having to buy bags or have groceries rolling around on the floor of my van, I use a lightweight chest cooler. I trundle the shopping cart to the van and place them directly in the cooler along with anything else that fits. Even in summer heat and shopping trips of an hour or more, everything is fine. If it wasn't, there is this wonder product called "ice."

Old 07-21-2018, 09:48 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Some people seem to taking being in a store or shopping as some sort of offense to life, to the point of ridiculousness. I guess they need to race home to watch reality tv, or have a life so pressed for a moment of spare time that they can barely make time to put a scathing post on CD about ten minutes of wasted time...

One of my likes of Aldi led to a solution to the frozen food issue. To keep from having to buy bags or have groceries rolling around on the floor of my van, I use a lightweight chest cooler. I trundle the shopping cart to the van and place them directly in the cooler along with anything else that fits. Even in summer heat and shopping trips of an hour or more, everything is fine. If it wasn't, there is this wonder product called "ice."
Ice?! Ice?? Isn’t that the thing some liberals are trying to abolish? How dare you speak of ice

Old 07-22-2018, 08:40 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Of course you would. Which is all the more reason to avoid extra hassles that would hold you up.

We're talking about taking an extra ten minutes to get a dollar back. The possibility existed that the manager could have refused to honor it, in which case she might have spent even more time trying to change her mind and eventually walked away with nothing. With ice cream in the car.
when i was working hard on my couponing, it would eat at me if i forgot to use a coupon or if i used one incorrectly without getting the discount. i completely sympathize with the situation and wanting to get it resolved and not wanting to drive away feeling i didnt get something i should have. even though its a small amount of money, it was a hobby that i devoted enough time to that i cared about its success.

it may seem irrational to some people but it became kind of a game and i get it.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:28 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Product coupons are not legal currency. Nobody has to accept them. Nobody. If stores want to take them, they can take them. If a store doesn't want to take them, the store doesn't have to take them.
Every store has a written coupon policy (you can find it online) and the store managers are required to follow that policy. So if the customer is using the coupon according to what's acceptable with store policy, then yes, the cashier & manager are required to accept it. If they refuse it when it meets their coupon policy requirements, then print out the store coupon policy and bring it back in with the coupon and show it to the manager.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

I know it's not the entire reason, but, multiply this type of situation millions of times and it's easy to see why online stores/sales are thriving and brick & mortar stores are failing. Without a positive customer service attitude among employees, (in light of rapid shipping and often lower prices), there is little to engender customer loyalty.
This. It's so much easier to shop online and not deal with "attitude" from a store clerk.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:28 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I absolutely love food shopping, always have. I find it a relaxing endeavor even when checkout lines are long. After moving from NYC to a somewhat rural area, I enjoy it even more. Bigger stores, less crowded, etc. I'm never in a rush when out running errands as I plan my time accordingly. I have never understood people's impatience with lines or traffic, especially work days. All in a rush to get somewhere we don't want to be.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This. It's so much easier to shop online and not deal with "attitude" from a store clerk.
i have good interactions with just about everyone i deal with. i know that i am unique in my approach to people (very positive, friendly and joking around) but i dont think its necessary to be me. you get what you give.

i also enjoy the grocery shopping experience. i guess that makes me unusual but i like walking around and seeing what is available and searching for deals. i love it when i can do this with one of my daughters. we have lots of fun. clothes shopping is a different story though.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:14 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,767 times
I find grocery shopping interesting and relaxing too. Especially at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. But it was a long time before I could do stress-free clothes shopping. While the kids were growing up it was always a nerve racking chore. Better now. And boy do I appreciate Amazon. Even more now than ten years ago and that's saying something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living