U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 04:52 PM

6,584 posts, read 2,385,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't understand this at all. Why would it make them "angry"? It takes 1/2 a second to scan a coupon so no big deal.
Because some cashiers who work in customer service get this idea that customers are out to "scam" them. But yes, all they have to do is scan it and if it goes through, it's just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 08:34 AM

8,768 posts, read 10,377,224 times
Quote:
I don't understand this at all. Why would it make them "angry"? It takes 1/2 a second to scan a coupon so no big deal.
Anti coupon fraud training instills a belief that the consumer is up to no good and that counterfeit coupons are a crime. So cashiers naturally may see a criminal instead of a customer when confronted with a questionable coupon. If memory serves me correct, wasn't it your state that busted one of the nations largest counterfeit coupon mills? Somewhere in the millions of dollars worth of counterfeit coupons were discovered. Many were just altered or phished from legitimate coupons. Stores were out millions and started implementing fraud prevention methods. The unfortunate side effect was the consumer became the villain. I don't condone disrespectful attitude from the employees but I also don't blame them.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 AM

8,296 posts, read 9,121,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Anti coupon fraud training instills a belief that the consumer is up to no good and that counterfeit coupons are a crime. So cashiers naturally may see a criminal instead of a customer when confronted with a questionable coupon. If memory serves me correct, wasn't it your state that busted one of the nations largest counterfeit coupon mills? Somewhere in the millions of dollars worth of counterfeit coupons were discovered. Many were just altered or phished from legitimate coupons. Stores were out millions and started implementing fraud prevention methods. The unfortunate side effect was the consumer became the villain. I don't condone disrespectful attitude from the employees but I also don't blame them.

I don't recall hearing about any coupon mills here. I know that all our cashiers were trained to look out for fake coupons, mostly the ones printed from a computer. Far as I know I never had any.

Since the stores receive such a small amount back on coupons I have a hard time believing they lost "millions of dollars" but who knows?

Old 08-09-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Because some cashiers who work in customer service get this idea that customers are out to "scam" them. But yes, all they have to do is scan it and if it goes through, it's just fine.

Well, in truth, you'd be amazed at how many customers DO try to scam cashiers. Whether it's coupons, hard used returns, pricing errors...that the customer knows is correct but argues about it...and a lot more. Cashiers don't like being suspicious and untrusting. They just want to do their jobs and not worry about it.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:18 AM

17,337 posts, read 14,859,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Wow. Looks like I asked the right group. Every time I've ever used a coupon that said Manufacturer Coupon it's always been accepted at any store that sells the product. Yesterday was a surprise. These days the only coupons I use are the ones that print out of the point of sale machine at the end of the transaction and say at the top Manufacturer CPN and the expiration date. Didn't notice until after buying the ice cream yesterday that it looks like some of those coupons have the store name on them too, in smaller print at the far right. Anyway I'd accumulated three of those ice cream coupons. Grabbed one yesterday and used it. Left two at home. Looking at the two now, one of them says "Redeemable at XYZ" and the other one says "Redeemable at ABC". ABC was where I shopped yesterday but I inadvertently gave them the XYZ coupon. Because I grabbed the wrong coupon off the table before I left. No wonder because I've never ever read a coupon completely and didn't do so yesterday. As you can tell I don't know squat about coupons or couponing. Thanks for the input.
Those coupons are always store-specific coupons, thatís why the store prints them out for you after the transaction.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:33 PM

6,584 posts, read 2,385,144 times
Quote:
Well, in truth, you'd be amazed at how many customers DO try to scam cashiers. Whether it's coupons, hard used returns, pricing errors...that the customer knows is correct but argues about it...and a lot more. Cashiers don't like being suspicious and untrusting. They just want to do their jobs and not worry about it.
Well, since many cashier jobs are being automated now (self check out) they won't need to worry about it for much longer. Customers can and do check themselves out and even process their own coupons.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:32 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,377,224 times
Quote:
I don't recall hearing about any coupon mills here. I know that all our cashiers were trained to look out for fake coupons, mostly the ones printed from a computer. Far as I know I never had any.

Since the stores receive such a small amount back on coupons I have a hard time believing they lost "millions of dollars" but who knows?
Multi-Million Dollar Counterfeit Coupon Ring Busted in Arizona

Ohio Fraudulent Coupon Arrest

Drugs, Guns and Counterfeit Coupons

Many, many more can be found. Coupon fraud is probably more common than shoplifting since many who commit it think its some innocent CRIME and that they are not really CRIMINALS. So, I have no problem with stores imposing anti-fraud practices to catch these thieving slobs but they need to do it with a smile.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Well, since many cashier jobs are being automated now (self check out) they won't need to worry about it for much longer. Customers can and do check themselves out and even process their own coupons.

Self checkout scanners can, and do, catch 'bad' coupons. That's why they still have to have an attendant on duty to 'fix' it.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Multi-Million Dollar Counterfeit Coupon Ring Busted in Arizona

Ohio Fraudulent Coupon Arrest

Drugs, Guns and Counterfeit Coupons

Many, many more can be found. Coupon fraud is probably more common than shoplifting since many who commit it think its some innocent CRIME and that they are not really CRIMINALS. So, I have no problem with stores imposing anti-fraud practices to catch these thieving slobs but they need to do it with a smile.

I don't have a problem with it either. It still amazes me though how many people will try to scam the stores for other reasons. Coupons, at our store, was a very minor problem.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:54 PM

10,162 posts, read 13,868,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
At the checkout, I presented a manufacturer's coupon for a brand of ice cream. The clerk said "This is for (XYZ store)", meaning "can't be used here" and handed it right back to me. I said "Ok" and paid and left. But after putting the groceries in the car I looked at the coupon and saw some kind of a stamp on it. It said "Redeem at (XYZ)." To me it was simply an ad to the holder of the coupon to please be so kind as to redeem this with us, XYZ, as we're the ones who spit this coupon out to you and we would really appreciate your continued business.

Doesn't a manufacturer's coupon mean "Good wherever our product is sold?" Or has something changed. I understand if the checker, who looked to be about 19 or 20 years old, might have thought her training said deny any coupon including a manufacturer's coupon that might have some other store's name stamped somewhere on it. But I do believe she either did not understand her training or she was deliberately mistrained.

Send me a message and I'll tell you how to know whether a store will take competitors coupons. As a general rule stores can refuse any coupon even one of their own. The coupons that print out at the check out line are called catalina coupons. They are manufacturers coupons but only good at the store where you got it.

Some stores will take a competitors coupons and we have used many dozens that had the name of another store on it. If it's got the same type bar code as the other coupons you might see in your Sunday paper, and it is a manufacturers coupon then it can be accepted at any store. If you want the policy at your stores let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or