U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:18 PM

21,431 posts, read 18,144,759 times

Advertisements

I hate to use coupons!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 12:54 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I started multi-quoting, but there were too many. I worked customer service with two grocery chains for a total of 10 years. This was through high school, college, and in the early years of my teaching career to supplement my income. This is probably not going to be a popular post, especially with the couponers, lol.

As someone mentioned, no one has to accept a coupon. Stores can refuse coupons altogether or deny any particular coupon. There isn't a law saying they must accept them.

Those coupons that print out of the machine at the register are Catalina coupons. They will always have the store logo where they were printed (unless there is an error). Some will say Store Coupon, some will say Manufacturer Coupon. The MAJORITY of the retailers will ONLY accept coupons with their own logo on them. (more on that later)

Be careful of advice you read on couponing websites and blogs. If I had $1 for every incorrect couponing fact I've read over the years, I'd be rich.

Please don't assume your cashier is ignorant or difficult because they are refusing your coupon. If you throw a fit, often the manager will accept it, but also note they are really only doing it because losing a dollar or two is not worth arguing with you. They basically just want to get rid of you because you are being rude. It is rarely because you are actually right.

Now, why are coupons refused? Coupon fraud is the biggest reason. Internet and Catalina coupon are easily faked and altered. A store cannot verify a Catalina coupon from a different retailer, which is why they make it easy and refuse ALL of them from other retailers. (Will the manufacturer reimburse them if another retailer is printed? Yes. But ONLY IF THE COUPON IS VALID.) Busy grocery stores- I'm talking the ones selling $500,000ish on weekdays, around $1,000,000 on weekends (non-holiday weeks) and are not super-stores like Walmart selling everything, but a true grocery, can easily lose more than a thousand dollars per day with coupon fraud. I worked in a upper-middle class store for 8 years (the other 2 years were in a very wealthy area and we didn't get many true couponers). The couponers (I still know some by name and I worked there from 1999-2007) would typically target new cashiers. They would pass off extra coupons, expired coupons, items that were smaller sizes, etc... New cashiers would often hit the generic coupon key if it didn't scan. 99% of the coupons will work when scanned if they are used properly. Since I was good at my job, and I of course knew all of my regulars, I would send the cashier on break when they were in line and ring them up myself. They hated that. Two carts of groceries would cost $10 with a new cashier. With me, they'd void off all of the incorrect items, walk out with less than a cart and spend a lot more. These people are the reason that stores have to have strict policies. Just like everything else- people ruin it for everybody. *Not all extreme couponers scam the stores, or attempt to. But for every legitimate couponer, there are 2-3 scammers.
This is so true. When I first learned super-couponing I was so excited for my BOGO coupon to match the BOGO sale and get all these lipsticks for free. The woman at the counter was experienced and tried to deny my purchase. I was sort of crestfallen. There are all these equations you have to do with the CVS bucks and I was following one perfectly I thought.

I didn't argue I just said 'OK, well, I am confused because this is what I was told.....' she relented and said look, the problem is we have these scammers, and they will bring the free lipsticks back in for store credit. I said I am not a scammer! I just want to save money! She ended up helping me do my equations when one item was out of stock and the whole thing had to be redone. She got some satisfaction out of helping someone who wasn't trying to rip her off.

I learned pretty fast that some people had 13 cards and they were buying furniture! I stayed in good graces by not cheating. I still got jokes 'Why don't you just rob us? That would be easier than all this'. Yeah, yeah. I know. Count my ECBs, please!

On the other end, some employees acted like I was robbing them personally. The guy at Walgreens just couldn't with a newbie. I was too excited. $96 worth for about $5. Totally legit. He sarcastically asked don't I have a way to get my total down? I was like no, do you know one? He couldn't take the joy out of me, lol.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:59 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Product coupons are not legal currency. Nobody has to accept them. Nobody. If stores want to take them, they can take them. If a store doesn't want to take them, the store doesn't have to take them.
Found that out at the feed store. Had a big argument over taxes, I was in the right, but they said ok no more coupons. I had crazy high value ones too. Should have lost the tax argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or