U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:44 PM

1,040 posts, read 542,816 times

Advertisements

At the checkout, I presented a manufacturer's coupon for a brand of ice cream. The clerk said "This is for (XYZ store)", meaning "can't be used here" and handed it right back to me. I said "Ok" and paid and left. But after putting the groceries in the car I looked at the coupon and saw some kind of a stamp on it. It said "Redeem at (XYZ)." To me it was simply an ad to the holder of the coupon to please be so kind as to redeem this with us, XYZ, as we're the ones who spit this coupon out to you and we would really appreciate your continued business.

I went from the parking lot back into the store where I'd just purchased the ice cream. This time went to customer service. Told the manager at the counter that the checker had refused the coupon and charged me the regular price. The manager, all smiles and deference, said, "This is one of those gray areas. I'm new at this particular store so I don't know yet what their policy is on coupon deals. But I think I can use my discretion. I'm honoring your coupon." I asked "Policy? You mean this store sometimes honors legitimate coupons and sometimes does not?" She just smiled and handed me a dollar.

Doesn't a manufacturer's coupon mean "Good wherever our product is sold?" Or has something changed. I understand if the checker, who looked to be about 19 or 20 years old, might have thought her training said deny any coupon including a manufacturer's coupon that might have some other store's name stamped somewhere on it. But I do believe she either did not understand her training or she was deliberately mistrained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:11 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,545,587 times
It's my understanding that if the coupon had a specific store's name on it, it also usually says "Redeem at So & So" and that's the only place it's valid
The CS lady just gave you a courtesy refund, she didn't have to

Old 07-17-2018, 04:20 AM

16,851 posts, read 51,335,478 times
"Doesn't a manufacturer's coupon mean "Good wherever our product is sold?""

No. Stores have the right to refuse coupons. Aldi refuses all coupons.

Manufacturer coupons within a store flier are printed there because of a co-op advertising agreement that splits the advertising cost between maker and that store. By using the coupon elsewhere you ask one store to support a different store's advertising budget.

I have found that many of such coupons are for overpriced or high-end products, and not part of cost-effective shopping.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:06 AM

21,003 posts, read 25,781,024 times
Product coupons are not legal currency. Nobody has to accept them. Nobody. If stores want to take them, they can take them. If a store doesn't want to take them, the store doesn't have to take them.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:23 AM

10,715 posts, read 19,061,208 times
It's not a "manufacturer" coupon - it's an XYZ co. coupon.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:52 AM

22,680 posts, read 28,576,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
At the checkout, I presented a manufacturer's coupon for a brand of ice cream. The clerk said "This is for (XYZ store)", meaning "can't be used here" and handed it right back to me. I said "Ok" and paid and left. But after putting the groceries in the car I looked at the coupon and saw some kind of a stamp on it. It said "Redeem at (XYZ)." To me it was simply an ad to the holder of the coupon to please be so kind as to redeem this with us, XYZ, as we're the ones who spit this coupon out to you and we would really appreciate your continued business.

I went from the parking lot back into the store where I'd just purchased the ice cream. This time went to customer service. Told the manager at the counter that the checker had refused the coupon and charged me the regular price. The manager, all smiles and deference, said, "This is one of those gray areas. I'm new at this particular store so I don't know yet what their policy is on coupon deals. But I think I can use my discretion. I'm honoring your coupon." I asked "Policy? You mean this store sometimes honors legitimate coupons and sometimes does not?" She just smiled and handed me a dollar.

Doesn't a manufacturer's coupon mean "Good wherever our product is sold?" Or has something changed. I understand if the checker, who looked to be about 19 or 20 years old, might have thought her training said deny any coupon including a manufacturer's coupon that might have some other store's name stamped somewhere on it. But I do believe she either did not understand her training or she was deliberately mistrained.
your interpretation of the "redeem at xyz store" is kind of funny. it doesnt mean "oh please be so kind as to use this at our store but you can use it anywhere" it means "this is valid only at this store."

of course, a competitor or ignorant manager or any store for whatever reason may honor it but its not consistent with the stated terms so they can definitely deny it.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:58 AM

2,664 posts, read 2,775,458 times
'Valid at participating establishments' always in the fine print. Store just decides whether they are participating or not. That is usually done at corporate or district HQ. I'm guessing that the person at Customer service just 'ate' the dollar in the name of good customer relations.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM

1,040 posts, read 542,816 times
Wow. Looks like I asked the right group. Every time I've ever used a coupon that said Manufacturer Coupon it's always been accepted at any store that sells the product. Yesterday was a surprise. These days the only coupons I use are the ones that print out of the point of sale machine at the end of the transaction and say at the top Manufacturer CPN and the expiration date. Didn't notice until after buying the ice cream yesterday that it looks like some of those coupons have the store name on them too, in smaller print at the far right. Anyway I'd accumulated three of those ice cream coupons. Grabbed one yesterday and used it. Left two at home. Looking at the two now, one of them says "Redeemable at XYZ" and the other one says "Redeemable at ABC". ABC was where I shopped yesterday but I inadvertently gave them the XYZ coupon. Because I grabbed the wrong coupon off the table before I left. No wonder because I've never ever read a coupon completely and didn't do so yesterday. As you can tell I don't know squat about coupons or couponing. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:05 PM

22,680 posts, read 28,576,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Wow. Looks like I asked the right group. Every time I've ever used a coupon that said Manufacturer Coupon it's always been accepted at any store that sells the product. Yesterday was a surprise. These days the only coupons I use are the ones that print out of the point of sale machine at the end of the transaction and say at the top Manufacturer CPN and the expiration date. Didn't notice until after buying the ice cream yesterday that it looks like some of those coupons have the store name on them too, in smaller print at the far right. Anyway I'd accumulated three of those ice cream coupons. Grabbed one yesterday and used it. Left two at home. Looking at the two now, one of them says "Redeemable at XYZ" and the other one says "Redeemable at ABC". ABC was where I shopped yesterday but I inadvertently gave them the XYZ coupon. Because I grabbed the wrong coupon off the table before I left. No wonder because I've never ever read a coupon completely and didn't do so yesterday. As you can tell I don't know squat about coupons or couponing. Thanks for the input.
hey, it doesnt hurt to try.

i did "couponing" for about a year or two. i had my share of failures and i spoke to some managers when i didnt think they were acting consistent with the stores policy. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. but in your circumstance, you didnt have much of a leg to stand on in a situation where you are complaining to the manager. but hey, it looks like it worked out so you never know.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,813,022 times
You aren't getting responses for hardcore couponers lol.

Generally, "Redeemable at" on a manufacturer's coupon does NOT mean that the coupon can only be redeemed at that store. As you mentioned, it's an advertisement for that store.

If a coupon says, "Redeemable ONLY at" or similar, then it's only redeemable at that store.

Of course, most store coupon policies do have verbiage along the lines of "Management has the right to refuse coupons," etc., so they don't HAVE to. However, you are right.

https://www.livingrichwithcoupons.co...e-coupons.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or