U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 09:53 AM

11,699 posts, read 16,450,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Well, I have a family.. but food waste, including produce, is still a frequent problem for us. I've learned to freeze berries and bananas before I have to throw them out. And I freeze fresh spinach. After awhile I buy a frozen container of OJ, prepare it and make a smoothie with the frozen fruit and spinach.

Today I just bought a small loaf (?) of ham. Too much for us to eat before it spoils, but I plan to cut it up and freeze it. Lately we've gotten in the habit of eating eggs with cut up veggies and ham each morning. I'll just pull some out from a frozen zip lock from now on and heat it up in the frying pan with the veggies before adding the egg.

I freeze bread too. I'm the only one who likes rye.. and I love buttered seared rye. Very hearty with the eggs!

As for frugal goals 2018 (in August.. too funny!).. I also had the intention of cutting down on food waste. Not perfect, but definitely improved now that I freeze the fruit and bread (and now ham).
OT - cube the ham or cut it into strips, freeze it on a tray (lining w/parchment or plastic makes life easier), move it to zip bags when frozen. Do the same with your veggies. Make a sheet pan of filling, slice, wrap in tortillas, freeze separately, then freeze in zip bags. Hello micro wave or lunch bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 AM

3,616 posts, read 3,884,595 times
My goal is to max the 401k, which will be $24,500 + co match of $9k, AND save an additional 33% of my net, which I'm not achieving because I have to have balance in life and a little fun. I'm not far off though. The other goal is to pay the car off early, but thats early 2019 with my bonus money if I get it. The rate is only 3%, but still. The market expectations are low, so 3% is 3%.

I don't eat out much anymore and have started saving more by shopping at Aldi when it makes sense. Vacations are being paid for in part with miles and I probably save 30% using airbnb over hotels and cooking on vacation.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:28 AM

343 posts, read 256,179 times
My frugal goal was to cut down on my monthly rent. Did that by moving into a cheap condo I bought last year and I like the new location better.

Tip on the fruit... Don't buy fully ripe fruit. Chop it up and make a fruit salad. You need one large "base" item, like a cantaloupe or fresh pineapple, then just one or two of other items (try just one of each to start; one apple, one pear, one plum, one orange, etc.) I listen to podcasts while I chop my fruit for an hour in the kitchen. Keep it cold (don't sit the whole container out on the table while you eat). It should be OK for at least five days. Strawberries and watermelon are the first to get mushy. Sometimes I just cut off a slice of watermelon and add it to my daily serving, rather than cut it up in the fruit salad.

And yes, eat it every day. You SHOULD be eating a large bowl of mixed fruit every day.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:24 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,979,806 times
Keep my 401k at 15% contribution
Max a ROTH
Add a couple more grand to my emergency fund
Put aside a couple grand for a car
Stick to my new strict food budget-which will be the hardest goal of all really
Earn at least $1000 through bank account bonuses

Old 08-13-2018, 12:40 PM

1,389 posts, read 546,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
My attitude at this age (62) is that I am done with penny-pinching like I had during my childhood, and adult life with a house, taxes, child and all that entails. I am in the end season of life, and I will enjoy it to my benefit. It is now just me, and if I want an ice cream cone (rarely), I will pay the price at the ice cream parlor, because once I have my craving I am done for a loooooong time. I don't want extras in the freezer when I am not in the mood.

If I want a hot dog (coney, actually), I will get one at the local Sonic or the gas station grill section. I will be satisfied for a long time. I don't want to buy a package of 8 and freeze them for "later", later will be a long time to come. No thanks.

IOW, when it comes to food, I will indulge.
My MIL is the same way, except that she's been a spender her whole life. But once she retired, she threw any financial caution to the wind (being a spender, I don't even know if she had any caution to being with), and goes on vacation about 5x a year. She knows she's towards the end of her life and she doesn't have a financial care in the world anymore, so she is free to spend whatever the cost it takes to visit Australia, Europe, etc.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:58 PM

852 posts, read 782,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChow View Post
Not to pay a penny interest on my credit cards... so far this year I'm good, but the reward $ is adding up
Me too, not only interest but the overdraft fees I had a mistake last month and it cost me almost $300 just for the overdraft fees!!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:07 PM

4,099 posts, read 3,390,521 times
[quote=selhars;52693424]The year is more than half over, so it's a good time to ask.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Well, I have a family.. but food waste, including produce, is still a frequent problem for us. I've learned to freeze berries and bananas before I have to throw them out. And I freeze fresh spinach. After awhile I buy a frozen container of OJ, prepare it and make a smoothie with the frozen fruit and spinach.

Today I just bought a small loaf (?) of ham. Too much for us to eat before it spoils, but I plan to cut it up and freeze it. Lately we've gotten in the habit of eating eggs with cut up veggies and ham each morning. I'll just pull some out from a frozen zip lock from now on and heat it up in the frying pan with the veggies before adding the egg.

I freeze bread too. I'm the only one who likes rye.. and I love buttered seared rye. Very hearty with the eggs!

As for frugal goals 2018 (in August.. too funny!).. I also had the intention of cutting down on food waste. Not perfect, but definitely improved now that I freeze the fruit and bread (and now ham).
This...same here except that I am single. I buy fresh fruit and vegetables in season get it home and start cutting it up and put it into single serving freezer bags (I will then use it with cottage cheese or cereal in the morning for breakfast or along with a peanut butter sandwich.) With the various vegetables I will prepare meals and freeze them for weeks in advance.

I buy family sized packages of chicken and various meats cook them however I want them and then I place them in single serving freezer bags; I then have meals such as spaghetti and ground beef or with meatballs and baked chicken in short order. Recently I have started to bake potatoes (sweet and Idaho), cool them and place those in freezer bags and pull them out, reheat them and have either chicken and/or a salad with them.

My pantry is updated and rotated with canned goods (pineapple, peaches, red kidney beans, garbanzo, white beans, navy beans, pinto and refried, tuna fish, salmon, and sardines). Peanut butter and eggs (hard boiled eggs for the morning when I am on the run and egg salad for a quick lunch are always on hand along with high fiber Flax and Sesame seed bread which goes in the freezer and flour tortilla which I choose because in my experience they freeze better than the corn tortillas do.) Ramen noodles for lazy days where I add in frozen vegetables (Large bags of Birdseye frozen broccoli or the Normandy vegetables which is broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, yellow squash and zucchini).

Anyway, 2018 wasn't my year to be frugal as this is the way it's always been even when I was raising my children. I come from a large family so for me it's just common sense as well as being economical. It seems like a lot of work but I don't have to do it that often because it's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or