U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 03:10 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times

Advertisements

The year is more than half over, so it's a good time to ask.....

What are your frugality goals for 2018? (And are you doing with meeting them)

I'd say the one area that I'd like to get a bit more frugal in is..... food shopping.
BUT, maybe it's not really that I'd like to be more frugal, meaning spend less or get more value for money.

I'd like to WASTE less food. Because wasting food is ....wasting money.

I'm single, no kids. And I like to stay well stocked up with food.
Maybe other singles will relate to this.....

Of course, produce is the area where there's the most waste. Unless I eat produce EVERY day, which I know we should....I can't eat through it fast enough....before at least some of it goes bad. Not a lot, but some.

For example if I buy a large container of mixed salad greens....that might be too much.
But a small container won't be enough.

Berries (which we all know don't last long).....if I buy a pint each of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Unless I eat the berries EVERY DAY straight through.....at least some of those berries will go bad before I get to them.

Same with melons....do I buy the CUT fruit and pay an arm and a leg for a much smaller amount of watermelon, cantaloupe, and honey dew spears in an amount that won't go bad?
OR, buy the whole melons and end up with waaaaay more melon that I'll have to make a point to eat enough of so some of it won't go bad.

First World problem, I know but UGH!
Is this just the dilemma of single people and grocery shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 04:25 PM

4,676 posts, read 4,580,073 times
Well, I have a family.. but food waste, including produce, is still a frequent problem for us. I've learned to freeze berries and bananas before I have to throw them out. And I freeze fresh spinach. After awhile I buy a frozen container of OJ, prepare it and make a smoothie with the frozen fruit and spinach.

Today I just bought a small loaf (?) of ham. Too much for us to eat before it spoils, but I plan to cut it up and freeze it. Lately we've gotten in the habit of eating eggs with cut up veggies and ham each morning. I'll just pull some out from a frozen zip lock from now on and heat it up in the frying pan with the veggies before adding the egg.

I freeze bread too. I'm the only one who likes rye.. and I love buttered seared rye. Very hearty with the eggs!

As for frugal goals 2018 (in August.. too funny!).. I also had the intention of cutting down on food waste. Not perfect, but definitely improved now that I freeze the fruit and bread (and now ham).

Old 08-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Status: "I can learn to admire w/o having to aquire." (set 4 days ago)

Location: Where the last of the "Big 3" has retired. Spurs country.
3,023 posts, read 3,609,058 times
My attitude at this age (62) is that I am done with penny-pinching like I had during my childhood, and adult life with a house, taxes, child and all that entails. I am in the end season of life, and I will enjoy it to my benefit. It is now just me, and if I want an ice cream cone (rarely), I will pay the price at the ice cream parlor, because once I have my craving I am done for a loooooong time. I don't want extras in the freezer when I am not in the mood.

If I want a hot dog (coney, actually), I will get one at the local Sonic or the gas station grill section. I will be satisfied for a long time. I don't want to buy a package of 8 and freeze them for "later", later will be a long time to come. No thanks.

IOW, when it comes to food, I will indulge. I keep milk, eggs, butter, bread, frozen Eggos, already cooked frozen bacon and sausage (Microwavable), crackers, cheese, wine, peanut butter and raspberry jam, in the house always. This is basically my "go-to" food department. If I stay in a day, two or even three, I have food in the house that I like, is easy to prepare and will eat and not grow tired of it.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:32 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,329,110 times
My goal is to get rid of some vehicles. Single living alone yet I own 8 vehicles. I know I really don't need all of them and I'm sure the savings on registration, insurance and PM will be a nice savings if I get rid of the ones I really don't need. Went through this last year when I had 7 and now I have 8. Going the wrong way!

Old 08-04-2018, 01:49 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,942,160 times
Honestly I dont have any except find more small companies I think could become big and invest in them. I dont have any really bad spending habits.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:54 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Berries (which we all know don't last long).....if I buy a pint each of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Unless I eat the berries EVERY DAY straight through.....at least some of those berries will go bad before I get to them.

Same with melons....do I buy the CUT fruit and pay an arm and a leg for a much smaller amount of watermelon, cantaloupe, and honey dew spears in an amount that won't go bad?
OR, buy the whole melons and end up with waaaaay more melon that I'll have to make a point to eat enough of so some of it won't go bad.

I have a family, but I'm really the only fruit eater in the family. When I buy berries, I bake with the ones I won't be able to eat in time. You could also freeze berries to add to a smoothie.

When I buy melon, I share with neighbors. I've done this long enough that I know who likes which kind. I chop the melon into bite-size pieces and keep what I can use, then put the rest in a gallon bag and take it to a neighbor.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:54 AM

13,115 posts, read 9,199,435 times
Quote:
[1] Of course, produce is the area where there's the most waste. Unless I eat produce EVERY day, which I know we should....I can't eat through it fast enough....before at least some of it goes bad. Not a lot, but some.

[2] For example if I buy a large container of mixed salad greens....that might be too much.

[3] Berries (which we all know don't last long).....if I buy a pint each of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Unless I eat the berries EVERY DAY straight through.....at least some of those berries will go bad before I get to them.

[4] Same with melons....do I buy the CUT fruit and pay an arm and a leg for a much smaller amount of watermelon, cantaloupe, and honey dew spears in an amount that won't go bad?
[1] Old produce can be chucked into a "stock pot" that is on simmer 24/7.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/...-soup-pot.html
Ditto, for bones
https://www.platingsandpairings.com/...er-bone-broth/

[2] Salad greens can be retasked. For example, when they start to wilt and cease to be tasty, I run them through a food processor to make them chopped fine, and use them for egg roll filling. I can marinate the filling or cook up a batch of egg rolls, storing the unused portions - or even freezing them for later use.
This works for celery, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, onions, etc.
*You can also store questionable veggies in a freezer bag to be added to your next neverending soup pot.

[3] Fresh fruit that starts to go bad / ferment can be made into a smoothie, and refrigerated, or frozen in an ice cube form.

[4] Whole melons can be processed into servings of melon balls, etc, and spoilage reduced by adding some acidic lemon or lime juice to small containers with less air space in them. Also, they can be juiced or made into fruit smoothies, mixed with other fruits, and / or frozen in cubes. Whole bananas that get too ripe and mushy can be frozen, whole or cut up, and eaten while still frozen.

Re: stocks and soups
I freeze excess chicken stock (from processing 10lb of chicken quarters in a pressure cooker) in 2"x2"x2" ice cube forms (silicone).

One can use slow cooking, via stove top, or a crock pot / slow cooker (thermostat controlled), or do a quicker batch in a pressure cooker. It's up to you.
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/p...essure-cooker/

Old 08-09-2018, 10:25 AM

8,214 posts, read 9,093,756 times
Quote:
The year is more than half over, so it's a good time to ask.....

What are your frugality goals for 2018? (And are you doing with meeting them)

I'd say the one area that I'd like to get a bit more frugal in is..... food shopping.
BUT, maybe it's not really that I'd like to be more frugal, meaning spend less or get more value for money.

I'd like to WASTE less food. Because wasting food is ....wasting money.

I'm single, no kids. And I like to stay well stocked up with food.
Maybe other singles will relate to this.....

Of course, produce is the area where there's the most waste. Unless I eat produce EVERY day, which I know we should....I can't eat through it fast enough....before at least some of it goes bad. Not a lot, but some.

For example if I buy a large container of mixed salad greens....that might be too much.

I've actually found a way to cut down on fresh fruit/veggie waste...I think. Works for me anyway. I found that if I wrap them in aluminum foil they last a long time. Tried it first with celery and it worked great. Can last weeks! Then I tried it with lettuce, cabbage, onions and a few other things. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it works. Fruits I tend to eat faster than veggies but don't buy that much at a time. I like to buy my own fruits to cut up rather than pay high dollar for cut up stuff. I can get two large bowls of fruit from one cantaloupe, honeydew, small watermelon, grapes, etc.. It goes fairly fast because I can eat it with any meal, and do. Also, my daughter lives with me so that helps. I also make a large tossed salad, store in an airtight bowl and that goes pretty fast too. I usually only buy berries if I plan to use them right away but they can be frozen also.

Even with my daughter living with me I don't cook much more, if at all, than I did living alone. She seems to have this aversion to leftovers so if I make too much I'll end up having to eat it all. I do, sometimes, freeze leftovers for later meals. I wish she wasn't such a picky eater but these days she spends so much time at her boyfriend's house that I just cook the stuff I like. I don't cook every day, and she doesn't cook at all, but we both manage to keep ourselves fed. I call her my 'grazer'. lol

Old 08-10-2018, 08:08 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,324,398 times
My goal is to eat out less. I never was much of eating out person until I got married. My husband grew up eating out mostly as he was the youngest in his family & his parents were done parenting by the time he came around. When I do my bills at the end of month, I realize my eating out expense keeps going out as it has become a habit for me now. So goal is to RECLAIM THE KITCHEN

Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 AM

52 posts, read 24,052 times
Not to pay a penny interest on my credit cards... so far this year I'm good, but the reward $ is adding up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or