U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 03:31 PM

66,436 posts, read 67,592,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I've had several friends who owned beemers and they all, all of them, disliked their vehicles.
it all depends which models . the lower end bmw's are nothing special . but when i was in to them which was right up until i retired , move up to a 330 series from a 320 series which is the most popular and it is night and day in performance . the M-CLASS is exceptional .

i can tell you this , i loved by bimmer's .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 03:44 PM

13,561 posts, read 24,497,965 times
Just the maintenance costs on a used Beemer are enough to drive me away screaming. But that's me! I drive a 2007 Toyota Rav4.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:32 PM

66,436 posts, read 67,592,117 times
We had four year free maintenance on all ours .i traded them in every four years so it did not matter . I loved my cars and always got a new car every four years the last 45 years. That has always been my thing

Old 10-23-2018, 09:20 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,784,531 times
there's a mechanic on youtube who does alot of videos. He says to buy a $600 car and if you can drive it for more than a few weeks before it dies, you got a great deal. I personally wouldn't dare take a $600 car I just bought on a 3 hour drive to visit my mom.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:43 PM

8,027 posts, read 22,809,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I've had several friends who owned beemers and they all, all of them, disliked their vehicles.
Seconded. I have a coworker who drives one, and I've never seen a car in the shop more often than hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I mean, if you like something and it gives you joy, its about what you can afford honestly. The key isnt to judge people with what they buy but whether thats a wise decision for them. For me I drive a car I bought new for $40K cash but its six years old with 8,500 miles. Ill be driving that sucker for another decade at least. I love it, its a great car, and for me that is a frugal decision as I wont feel any need to upgrade for many many years.
I bought my Saturn new in 1997. I got flack from people for buying new. But here it is 21 years later and I'm still driving it and have had to do very little other than standard maintenance (oil changes, new tires, that sort). It only cost like $15k, and I've driven it for 21 years (so far). Not bad at all.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:27 PM

5,161 posts, read 9,521,567 times
Buy a used Honda Civic and invest your savings so you can retire young...

Old 10-28-2018, 04:45 PM
BMI

6,656 posts, read 3,952,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
I love, lemme repeat myself - I LOVE my BMW’s!! I drove Camry’s for years. A friend let me drive his BMW for 3 minutes. I had never even ridden in one.

Magic! Amazing!

The next day I test drove a Lexus (sanity check), and bought my 1st BMW, a 3-Series - this was in 2008. We soon bought a 5-Series, also in 2008. In 2013 we traded both of those for a new 3-Series, and, a new 5-Series. A few months ago we traded the 5-Series for an X2, which is my fave to-date!

The sum total of problems/issues with these 20 years of owning BMW’s = zero (0). Not one single problem.

No one is taking our BMW’s from us without prying them from our cold dead hands. Just thought of this - can I be buried in my BMW rather than a casket?!

It’s now fun to drive! I told my wife once: look there’s a 10 cent sale on bread! I’ll drive and buy it! She said, but that’s 20 miles away - you’ll spend much more than 10 cents on gas. I said I know, I know, that’s the point! - I just need an excuse to go for a drive!

No, I don’t work for BMW!
Doesn’t add up....maybe I misread...

You say you drove Camry’s for years, then a friend let you drive his car and the next day you test drove a BMW
and soon purchased it in 2008 ...then in the next sentence you say you’ve had no problems/issues
in 20 years of owning BMW’s....2008...now it’s 2018 ...that’s only 10 years...or maybe I’m missing
something and you really started owning BMW’s in 1998

Anyway, I like BMW’s and they getting to be really popular in my area.

I prefer Japanese, I’ve owned 2 Camry’s and a Honda CR V,
I like the quality and not needing many repairs.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:10 PM

3,561 posts, read 6,282,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Doesnt add up....maybe I misread...

You say you drove Camrys for years, then a friend let you drive his car and the next day you test drove a BMW
and soon purchased it in 2008 ...then in the next sentence you say youve had no problems/issues
in 20 years of owning BMWs....2008...now its 2018 ...thats only 10 years...or maybe Im missing
something and you really started owning BMWs in 1998

Anyway, I like BMWs and they getting to be really popular in my area.

I prefer Japanese, Ive owned 2 Camrys and a Honda CR V,
2 BMW's they bought in 2008= 10 years X 2

Old 11-01-2018, 12:54 PM

445 posts, read 75,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Doesnt add up....maybe I misread...

You say you drove Camrys for years, then a friend let you drive his car and the next day you test drove a BMW
and soon purchased it in 2008 ...then in the next sentence you say youve had no problems/issues
in 20 years of owning BMWs....2008...now its 2018 ...thats only 10 years...or maybe Im missing
something and you really started owning BMWs in 1998

Anyway, I like BMWs and they getting to be really popular in my area.

I prefer Japanese, Ive owned 2 Camrys and a Honda CR V,
My wife and I bought 2 BMWs in 2008, traded them in for two others in 2013 (traded one of these for an X2 a few months ago).

So, my wife has driven a BMW for 10 years as I have - thats 20 man-years of driving 5 BMWs

My other point is that in owning BMWs for 20 man-years weve not had a single problem!

Old 11-01-2018, 01:16 PM

74,090 posts, read 65,760,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Just the maintenance costs on a used Beemer are enough to drive me away screaming. But that's me! I drive a 2007 Toyota Rav4.
This. They're expensive to maintain, and especially--to repair. Don't do it, OP. I can relate to living carless, and having that limit one's social life, because taking a bus across town, or paying for rides is a hassle, or the cost adds up. I can also relate to appreciating the look of some of the BMW's. Some of them has a nice, artful design to them. Tempting. But not worth it!. It will drive you crazy in the end. Get something nice and reliable, that never breaks down, like a Honda--you have good instincts! I just bought a great 2009 Honda for $3300. My Honda mechanic checked it out & said it's in great shape! That's what you need, especially after not owning a car for years; you need something hassle-free, that won't make you hate cars.

If you want something spiffier-looking, consider a Saturn Sky. You can probably afford a newer one at the same price as the older used Hondas. Saturns were very reliable, until a few years ago. In that respect, they were the Toyotas of the US auto industry. Cheap to service and repair, too. The Sky is a cool-looking sports car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or