Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
What you truly need is a Prius that saves you gas money every time you drive compared to any other car, and then you put the savings away into low cost stock index funds. You can buy a used Gen 3 Prius for well under 10K and they are typically driven by careful drivers and in great shape.

Buying a used BMW given their expensive reputation for repairs will be the biggest mistake of your life now, and you can't dump it and get a cheaper car because cars keep depreciating so you would lose money at resale not just to depreciation but dealers will lowball you so you take a double hit.
If he's buying a used BMW at the $10K-$15K mark, the someone else has taken the most bitter lump of depreciation.

Find out what it will cost to keep on the road. If your comfortable with it, go for it. If not, look for something else.

Also, it isn't an "either-or," you can find a middle ground of something that might cost less to keep on the road but be a bit nicer than the Honda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:58 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Have you been talked out of getting a BMW, OP????

Old 08-07-2018, 12:57 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have a Prius C. It looks like a Toyota Yaris (same platform), a Honda Fit, a Nissan Versa Note, or basically any other hatchback out there.
Now I actually love the Yaris (do they still make those?) and the looks of it...was actually considering getting one last year I recall but couldn't hardly find any for sale at all. It doesn't look anything like the Prius to me...*shrugs*

Old 08-07-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Have you been talked out of getting a BMW, OP????
Uhhhhh.......

I think so (?)

To be honest I really would like to "treat myself" and get the BMW but aesthetic-wise deep down I think I like the Accord coupe just as much. With the financial goals I have I think it would just not be smart to do the BMW and it seems posters have chimed in with the great point about maintenance costs being so much higher with a BMW.

Maybe once I'm financially independent and retired I'll get one. On second thought, I'm probably way less likely to care by that time lol.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If he's buying a used BMW at the $10K-$15K mark, the someone else has taken the most bitter lump of depreciation.

Find out what it will cost to keep on the road. If your comfortable with it, go for it. If not, look for something else.

Also, it isn't an "either-or," you can find a middle ground of something that might cost less to keep on the road but be a bit nicer than the Honda.
Something between the Honda Accord and a BMW? Did you have something in mind? I mean, the 2008 model Accord coupes are pretty sporty/nice (IMO) and I think their design will continue to keep its appeal for a long time...

Old 08-07-2018, 06:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Something between the Honda Accord and a BMW? Did you have something in mind? I mean, the 2008 model Accord coupes are pretty sporty/nice (IMO) and I think their design will continue to keep its appeal for a long time...

I'd look at some of the Lexus models. Maybe a GS350.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:11 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Acura. When I leased cars and people wanted a BMW with a Honda lease rate, I suggested Acuras.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:55 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Hyundai. No one is going to target it for grand theft auto.
Mostly.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:42 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
My favorite thing about the Prius is the reaction it can get from “haters”. For some a Prius is like a big F-you to vanity and status while being very practical, reliable and cheap to operate. If anyone cares to ask why - I just tell the truth; I like to save money.
I don't hate the Prius, but I do hate a lot of the drivers that can't/won't maintain the speed of traffic because they're trying to sip gasoline, and have no problem making everyone else drive around them. I can also tell the truth, not all Prius are driven by roadtards, but roadtards do love to drive Prius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I have driven a Beemer a few time as rental cars. As much as their fan club likes to squeal over the things like so many teen-aged girls, they are not the end-all, be-all, epoch-shattering driving experience that people claim. Certainly not worth the extra expense it costs to buy, maintain, and ensure one.
The stripped down POS bought by rental agencies are universally awful no matter the brand. I recall renting an Audi that I was worried about making up a hill once because there were four of us in the car.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,945,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I'd look at some of the Lexus models. Maybe a GS350.
Oh baby, if you think BMW's are expensive to maintain.....don't go near a Lexus ! And I speak from experience.

It's becoming apparent that SouthKakalackan is a Honda person. You can get a darn nice late model Honda that would fit your needs quite nicely. Happy Motoring !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living