U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:51 AM

4,547 posts, read 2,769,834 times

Advertisements

Well, are you going to by the "Extended warranty"? If not and you're rolling down the road at 65 then the engine seizes and you now have a $10K paperweight....WTG!

But if you do buy it and never need it, you're good on that...Unless they don't cover THAT particular part...Oh hell....

These are all under $3K and look nice...On the cheap.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...665495900.html ($2100)

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...646759546.html ($2900)

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...665499632.html ($2800)

Why try and look cool? How about being SMART with money. Buying a fancy car? Not that smart to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 12:07 PM

3,056 posts, read 2,976,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Oh baby, if you think BMW's are expensive to maintain.....don't go near a Lexus ! And I speak from experience.

It's becoming apparent that SouthKakalackan is a Honda person. You can get a darn nice late model Honda that would fit your needs quite nicely. Happy Motoring !!
I'm kinda surprised it seems there aren't many Accord coupe lovers in here personally...

Old 08-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, are you going to by the "Extended warranty"? If not and you're rolling down the road at 65 then the engine seizes and you now have a $10K paperweight....WTG!

But if you do buy it and never need it, you're good on that...Unless they don't cover THAT particular part...Oh hell....

These are all under $3K and look nice...On the cheap.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...665495900.html ($2100)

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...646759546.html ($2900)

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...665499632.html ($2800)

Why try and look cool? How about being SMART with money. Buying a fancy car? Not that smart to me.

It's just me so I'm likely to get a 2 door.

I'm asking this honestly...that Benz is classy/nice looking but you think buying one that ago with over $230k would be a smart purchase? Wouldn't maintenance on a luxury vehicle like that be just as bad as getting what I've been contemplating (an 08ish model Beemer)?

Old 08-08-2018, 12:15 PM

Why is the Yaris SO inexpensive?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...648294890.html

I find them "adorable"...in a VW Beetle kinda way. As mentioned earlier, I would drive one of those.

I just want the Accord coupe because it looks sportier.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:13 PM

6,815 posts, read 4,408,035 times
Nobody seems to have suggested yet another alternative: an older BMW... 1990s or even older. Why?

1. The Atlanta climate is kind to older cars (minimal rust).
2. The depreciation curve has bottomed out. In many cases these cars are quite literally investments.
3. They're relatively simple, and amenable to repair by the amateur.
4. Strong aftermarket following (for parts etc.).
5. Avoidance of yuppy/poseur stigma.

I'd personally recommend a BMW 1602, from the 60s.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:09 AM

11,605 posts, read 5,449,768 times
The extended warranty on my BMW paid for itself many times over. One tiny thing imploded or something? Took out several highly expensive components. The BMW mechanics had no idea how the implosion could have even happened.

But good God, just to get new brake pads? Whew. Bring Money With You. I don't regret the car though. I really really loved it. I'm a bad influence on the OP.

I still want it back. Even old and not as pretty as it used to be. Still fits like a glove and drives awesome! I got very spoiled on the best road hugging suspension aspect. I also like to zoom every now and then. 0-60 in a couple seconds.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:34 AM

24,692 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, driving a BMW is not an experience?
No, it's a stupid car for heaven's sake.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:15 AM

3,961 posts, read 1,590,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
No, it's a stupid car for heaven's sake.

Exactly. A bunch of people on a Frugal Living message board talking about the raptures of blowing tens of unnecessary thousands on a car in which they'll can make the five-mile slog to work or the grocery store. Hey, never mind the well-documented ownership costs. Next thing you know, they'll be rationalizing Range Rovers.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:30 AM

6,815 posts, read 4,408,035 times
It need not be 10s of thousands of dollars. It might only be a couple of thousand, depending on the year, model and condition. Sensibility regarding one's expenses need not exclude unusual choices, or even choices perceived as indulgences. Sometimes indulgences are cheap.

There are several cases in our semi-local BMW club, "Ohio Bimmers", where owners report selling their cars for more than their original purchase price. This probably won't happen with a car that's younger than 15 years old, or with owners who are not mechanically inclined. But the point is to realize that the name on the badge does not necessarily sentence one to profligacy or waste.

It should also be noted, that for some people, driving and car-ownership are hobbies. They are alternatives to say golf, pottery or photography. While it would be silly to spend inordinate amounts of money on the latest high-tech golf clubs or high-end camera, there's something to be said for having proper equipment, especially if it's used and substantially depreciated from its former price.

The rationale for being "talked out of" any particular purchase, is where one's fascination with the thing is fleeting and insubstantial, and one's preference for it is more from hearsay or casual supposition, than personal conviction. The accusation is that a BMW falls into the latter category, and in many cases this is quite right. There is in our culture too much self-identification with brands, wherein possession of the brand as it were elevates one's personal feeling. But this of course is phony and self-limiting, which is why it attracts so much scorn. Fine. All true. But the scorn-givers ought also to consider, whether their passionate denunciations are not also as it were brand-driven, reflexive and aimed not at the essence of the thing, but at stereotype.

True performance cars are becoming rare. By this I mean not top-speed or max number of g's in a turn. Modern cars are very capable, even if intended to emphasize utility or economy, rather than performance. Instead, by "performance" I mean specialized vehicles that don't excel in much of anything except supplying the driver with personal satisfaction. Something like this has been BMW's tag-line for decades, and in recent years, it's been quite silly, if not an outright lie. This is why I recommend much older BMWs, from a time when American cars were reeling from the oil-crisis and environmental regulations that the technology of the day could not address, while Japanese cars, with a few exceptions (such as the Datsun 240Z) hadn't yet attained much performance-acumen. BMW was almost unique in producing compact coupes and sedans that combined economy with sporting potential. I refer in particular to the 1970s.

The OP's location is most advantageous, in that the older cars, with thin metal and ill-suitability to harsh winters, could still survive without succumbing to rust. Indeed, I would submit that one of the big advantages of living in the American South, is that one has ready access to such cars; something of which to consider taking the advantage.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:13 PM

1,627 posts, read 591,734 times
IF it will make you really really happy and you can afford it, buy a used one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or