Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times

Advertisements

Too expensive to maintain or repair, plus what will the insurance be?
Get a decent reliable car that will get you from point A to B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 07:31 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Hey Op

Get a reliable car for now. Reliable, dependable and cheap. Save your money though. Buy fun cars during a recession when people are liquidating their weekend fun cars because they need cash. Yeah they're more expensive to maintain, but you can pull a lot of these vehicles with very few miles on them for not a lot of money.

Big bonus if if you can find a cheap source that works on these imports (not the dealership) in the meantime.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:20 AM

419 posts, read 387,642 times
Years ago when I met my husband, he had a Mercedes 450SL. It was a gorgeous, fun car but it cost an arm and a leg for service. Basic maintenance was bad enough, but replacing things like a timing chain really hurt the pocketbook. I'll admit it was fun cruising along the beach with the top down, and I loved how powerful and responsive it was. I can understand that at least once in your life you might want a fun car, but maybe renting it for a couple of weeks would put that urge to rest. As much as I enjoyed the 450SL, I thought it wasn't worth the money. I had a Honda Accord that was a spunky little monkey, and hubby was even impressed by it. He became a Honda lover too. He sold the Mercedes, probably because he felt like he no longer needed a chick magnet. I enjoyed watching it drive out the lane for the last time just as much as I enjoyed cruising the beach.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:55 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
My dream car (years ago) was a BMW 318i.

I've always known deep down inside I'd never spend that much money on a car, even if I could afford it. Which I never expected to be able to do.

Now I'm older, and decades later I really like the look of Lexus' and Infinitis. And like back then, 1) I can't afford them, and 2) and I still just can't see spending that kind of money on a car.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:26 AM

4,218 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Same here I drive a Camry....my second....can’t beat it, reliable, comfortable....
though I’m seeing more and more BMW’s on the road these days...
people buy them for the “status†....same with other German cars...Mercedes...Audi...

Buy a Camry and bank your money...or better still ...Amazon and Apple stock
Wouldn't the Accord pretty much be in the same class price-wise as the Camry?

Old 08-06-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Oh yes... You need to wear a mask / costume when driving a Prius, and quickly hide in the garage before anyone sees you coming home!
Lol.

Let me be clear that I can't say I care what I look like driving a Prius to others (I work from home full time so if you saw what I wear/look like nowadays just leaving the house to go anywhere you'd get it lol).

*I* personally just have a certain reaction whenever I see those vehicles and I personally just really do not like how they look is all.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I will say that though I don't like the style of it, I inherited my mother's Hyundai and it's a really good car. For her it was GREAT. She likes the style (large sedan, I call it 'floaty boaty' the way it handles - ugh for a person who likes sporty), and she got a very reliable car with every bell and whistle (for that year model) for 10K or less.
Elantras are cute.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:50 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Elantras are cute.
So are hamsters.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:13 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Here's an answer. Get a Prius and super glue a BMW medallion to the front. Problem solved.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:15 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, driving a BMW is not an experience? He is only ever, in his life, drive the car around Atlanta in rush hour traffic? Maybe he has an interest besides utilitarian in cars?

I have driven a Beemer a few time as rental cars. As much as their fan club likes to squeal over the things like so many teen-aged girls, they are not the end-all, be-all, epoch-shattering driving experience that people claim. Certainly not worth the extra expense it costs to buy, maintain, and ensure one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living