Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I've seen Yardley for less than $1 in my local grocery store. Shop around.

Whoever thought up liquid hand soap is a marketing genius. They get much more money out of consumers for the same number of hand washings, by playing up the perceived "Ick" factor of bar soap.
However... buy a container of the FOAMING hand soap. When it gets empty, refill it with a mixture of 1/5th liquid hand soap from the dollar store and 4/5 distilled water. Two pumps are usually enough to wash hands with, and you may not buy hand soap for years, as well as being gentler on the environment.

I do something similar with liquid dish soap.

A heads-up for guys with underarm odor - shave yer pits. The hair holds the odor.

"All" is a decent laundry detergent, but try an enzyme detergent soak on stinky clothes. A cup of "Biz" a gallon of 95 degree water (it is temperature sensitive) and four hours with occasional smushing around in a bucket with a wooden spoon and the enzymes will eat the organic source of the odor and salvage clothes and gym towels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 12:04 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Because I have allergies to everything chemical... I save a fortune on all these things.. I only use Pears soap, and Avalon shampoo.. thats it... apart from toothpaste thats the lot..

Old 08-07-2018, 08:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
What are some of the products you frugalist use for your hygiene pratices...or are you a TRUE frugalist and don't use any products and just let NATURE take its course?! Do you guys/gals us deodrant? If so how much and what does it normally run you?
What you describe as a true frugalist is really a disgusting human being at least and mentally ill at worst.

I think body wash is a ripoff in terms of how long a bottle lasts. I use whatever soap my wife gets, usually at dollar tree or Target or Wally world. It isn't expensive enough to even think about. I also will usually take the bars from hotel rooms if I'm staying there.

I use right guard deoderant in a can. No idea how cost effective it is, more important that I don't ruin my dress shirts.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:51 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Husband uses Level 2000. I use whatever good-smelling, floral body wash that is on sale or that I have a coupon for. When there's nothing on sale, I'll grab Suave. Sometimes I stock up on Bath and Body Works body wash when they have a good sale.

For deodorant, he uses Old Spice, and I use Lady Speed Stick. Both are pretty affordable, especially mine. Also, coupons.

We're totally low-class because I just put dishwashing liquid in the hand soap dispensers.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:52 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
If you use coconut oil in the summer, I know your very greasy and uncomfortable.
Not really. I wear a robe around for a little while before I get dressed that usually takes care of any excess.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:07 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Husband uses Level 2000. I use whatever good-smelling, floral body wash that is on sale or that I have a coupon for. When there's nothing on sale, I'll grab Suave. Sometimes I stock up on Bath and Body Works body wash when they have a good sale.

For deodorant, he uses Old Spice, and I use Lady Speed Stick. Both are pretty affordable, especially mine. Also, coupons.

We're totally low-class because I just put dishwashing liquid in the hand soap dispensers.
LOL. I never compared the price per ounce, but why is that low class? I have a dispenser for that in the kitchen for dishes, and use it for my hands too. If it's cheaper, I will start using it in the hand soap dispenser in the bathroom too. (If I ever get to the end of a giant economical refill bottle I have for that).

anti-antiperspirant cost is mostly dependent on aluminum content. For instance, Lady speed Stick has less than Secret. I used to buy that having nothing to do with cost, I just wanted the least amount of aluminum that would be effective.

If one doesn't need much of it, one can save money AND it's healthier to use less.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 AM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap. Very concentrated, mixes with water.

Amount of lather ≠ amount of cleansing.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Seriously you are not saving much by going with cheaper soap, unless you have huge family. I often get bored with my body wash before it runs out. One bottle last me almost a year, so I indulge and get Bath&BodyWorks Aromatherapy wash.

Lotion on the other hand does fly thru & I have tried B&BW aromatherapy and other fancy smell once but I realize due to the cost I use less. which defeats the purpose. now my favorite is drug store $3 huge lotion that I freely use in all body parts. I used dollar store lotion once but it is too watery. You can tell how diluted the product is. $3-$5 Nivea/Dove..etc are good for me

Shampoo I do run out often and probably spent the most money on. I still haven't found good shampoo so this is on going experimenting. I experimented with deodorant once, got natural organic Whole Food type and cheap type too. they don't work well, even the high end organic products, so I stick to my usual drug store once.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:54 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
LOL. I never compared the price per ounce, but why is that low class? I have a dispenser for that in the kitchen for dishes, and use it for my hands too. If it's cheaper, I will start using it in the hand soap dispenser in the bathroom too. (If I ever get to the end of a giant economical refill bottle I have for that).

anti-antiperspirant cost is mostly dependent on aluminum content. For instance, Lady speed Stick has less than Secret. I used to buy that having nothing to do with cost, I just wanted the least amount of aluminum that would be effective.

If one doesn't need much of it, one can save money AND it's healthier to use less.
In what way is it healthier? I've been a life-long user of Mitchum, which is high in aluminum, and the most effective for me. How is aluminum harmful?

Old 08-10-2018, 06:10 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I've seen Yardley for less than $1 in my local grocery store. Shop around.

Whoever thought up liquid hand soap is a marketing genius. They get much more money out of consumers for the same number of hand washings, by playing up the perceived "Ick" factor of bar soap.
I agree. There's nothing wrong with bar soap as long as you don't leave it in a puddle of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living