U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:05 AM

22,713 posts, read 28,590,909 times

Advertisements

i googled this cardboard furniture and what i saw was furniture that seemed to be made out of cardboard. it looked pretty terrible to me.

my sister -in-law's grandfather makes furniture out of pallets. my brother has talked about how beautiful some of the pieces of furniture that he makes are.

when i bought my first apartment, i furnished it with ikea furniture. we moved and took it with us. then we moved again recently and didnt take the ikea stuff with us anymore. but that stuff could have lasted a very long time as long as you didnt seriously abuse it. i think people waste a lot of money buying higher quality furniture to last longer. cheap stuff can last a long time, often longer than you even want to keep the furniture.

btw, we tried to give some of the stuff away and kept getting no shows for picking up the furniture. so i ended up having to get rid of some of it last minute. i had to take a chainsaw and cut some of the stuff down to smaller pieces. it was interesting to see the inside of some of the ikea furniture looked like some kind of corrugated cardboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 08:21 PM

7,284 posts, read 15,301,886 times
I have cats who think that cardboard is something to chew on or claw at. They'd see such furniture as a fun destruction challenge.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:33 PM

959 posts, read 110,461 times
Our house is filled with Ikea furniture. All of our pieces are made from solid wood (except of course for the sofa and chair cushions). Their smaller scale is perfect for our small house. We love the clean and simple lines. We've had them for 5-15 years give or take, and even the oldest pieces are as solid as the day we bought them. We wouldn't trade them! To each his own...

Last edited by barb712; 08-09-2018 at 05:46 PM..

Old 09-07-2018, 12:32 PM

596 posts, read 276,132 times
That cardboard looks about as uncomfortable as it gets. And has no soul. I would have POSSIBLY considered it in college. But i was too poor for even that. The dorm room had to come furnished, or the roommate had to supply the furniture (except my bed).

Hey, don't knock IKEA! for some stuff its a great value. I love their bed linens and get a new down comforter from there every five years or so. They have the best prices on down duvets of anyone, anywhere. Ikea's great as long as you're not expecting heritage stuff, or if you really love that Swedish European style.

I just furnished my entire living-dining areas with high-end, gently-used furniture from either a consignment shop or used from someone's home and I gotta say - it's the most comfortable, homey, charming ensemble of furniture I've had in ages. It's eclectic, but all the pieces work together somehow. Now I really love to be in those rooms. And all for 1/4 to 1/5 the cost of what it probably cost new. I could absolutely afford new furniture, but I just LOVE a bargain and appreciate some of the older styles and finishings that are hard to find now at any price. And the older wood pieces like the dining and end table are solid, unscratched wood with a glowing patina that only age can accomplish.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 09-07-2018 at 12:43 PM..

Old 09-07-2018, 02:31 PM

13,404 posts, read 7,146,559 times
Hmmmph....I had a small cardboard dresser for college some 35 year ago - it was perfect - came flat so easy to get to college in my parents' car and then I put it / folded it together in 15 minutes. It lasted me well past college into my first few apartments. It actually looked better than some of the links because it had a slight wood grain finish to it - wasn't a flat brown packing box color.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:15 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,848,304 times
In the last two years:

1) An almost new refrigerator for $75 + $60 for moving it here.
2) A upright freezer for $25.
3) Today, a new loveseat for $50, free delivery by the guy who fixed our dishwasher for $20.

One of the advantages of a 55+ community and of an HGTV generation who will get rid of appliances since they are the "wrong color".

Old 09-09-2018, 12:01 PM

12,445 posts, read 14,574,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
Google it and let me know what you think.
What do I think????
UGLY comes to mind.
As cheap as it gets...not frugal.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:23 PM

11,407 posts, read 6,445,883 times
Furniture seems like a rip off to me. I’ll buy a new sofa and recliners (anything liquids or bugs could get down into) but for storage I like second hand wood stuff. You can stain or paint and it will last the rest of your life. Someone just gave me a wood wardrobe thing from the 50s or 60s that holds a lot of stuff and I’m gel staining it a dark color...looks good other than a few nicks that I’m not even bothering to fill/sand. I often see wood dressers for $30-50 that could also be redone. Cheap sturdy stuff is great because I feel like I can abuse it and I’m not out anything but my time to paint/stain. Something like a $3000+ bedroom suit would have me feeling like I need to be extremely careful...not how I want to feel at home.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:10 AM

248 posts, read 101,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If you are actually serious, then this goes beyond frugal and enters into the realm of mental illness.
Wrong.

In fact, many people will consider any level of frugality "mental illness," but they are also wrong.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:37 AM

12,445 posts, read 14,574,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Wrong.

In fact, many people will consider any level of frugality "mental illness," but they are also wrong.
Isn't it odd that "many people"..(the frugal ones) consider that not being frugal is a sign of mental illness...that strikes me as more real than the way you figure it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or