U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:47 AM

29,597 posts, read 31,914,576 times

Advertisements

Ok. Start with one piece and live with it for awhile. If you like cardboard, you like cardboard, and nobody else has to like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 PM

4,387 posts, read 2,428,693 times
We have pieces in our living room that were in a house we bought 57 years ago. I did refinish them about 40 years ago.

Cardboard is for boxes that contain things to donate to charity.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:15 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,271,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I wouldn't do it.

Spending money on high quality, well made furniture is the most frugal thing you can do. I have furniture I spent a lot of money on, but will last my entire life, if I choose not to replace it. Yes, it's more expensive up front, but in the long term spending money on high quality long lasting things is often the most frugal choice you can make.

I have bookcases, a coffee table and entertainment center hand made by a local craftsman. They weren't cheap, but they will be in as good of quality 30 years from now as they are today.
I totally agree with this. I spent $2,000 on a recycled steel table made by this company in Colorado, it's absolutely beautiful, a piece of art, but what convinced me to pull the trigger was the fact that it's made of an unbreakable material and that I could use this table forever. Six years later, it's still of course in perfect shape and I love it just as much.

I bought the most amazingly comfortable home office chair I have ever sat on, it was $1,000, and at first I thought it was insane when I saw the price. But sitting on it, I realized this thing was amazing and as much as I sit in front of the computer, which is often 8 hours a day, it's like investing in a great mattress. It only seems crazy at first, but if I spent 1/3 of my day in my bed, 1/3 of my day on this chair, for my body and my health it just makes sense to have quality support. I used to buy a $99 IKEA chair every year, they would wear out in that time period, padding would go, they'd crack, and just generally fall apart. So I'd throw it away and go buy another.

Now, I've had this office chair for 6 years, and it feels just as good as the day I bought it. It has held up fantastic! I guarantee I'll be using this chair for many, many years into the future. I would be shocked if it didn't last more than a decade.

There's an old saying I agree with, "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things." Every single time I've taken the cheap way out and bought something of lesser quality just to save money, I have ended up going back later and buying the nice quality thing when the cheap thing broke and I was out BOTH the money for the cheap thing AND the expensive thing. That was not frugal, that was stupid. I learned my lesson with this years ago and just don't do it anymore.

I don't buy unnecessary crap anyway, so I obsess over the need for the thing in the first place, do I really need this thing I'm going to buy? If I eventually decide I DO need it, after careful deliberation, then I'm going to buy the quality item that will last.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:23 AM

726 posts, read 488,372 times
As a friend once said to my ex-husband, “You’re not just cheap, you’re miserly.” I love a good deal, but c’mon. Cardboard furniture? Please. Do you also make your clothes from someone else’s old newspapers?

Old 10-07-2018, 02:07 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
I just purchased a La-Z-Boy rocker recliner, lightly used, for $25. I will be selling my old recliner for $25.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,552 posts, read 14,051,705 times
I furnished my downstairs at Goodwill. <—— truth!

It's a joke because my MBR has a $4,000 solid oak bed and $4,000 PosturePedic mattress (Cal king). I sure do sleep well though!

I probably shouldn't be allowed to post in this section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or