Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 06:30 PM

175 posts, read 468,349 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about furnishing my home with
Cardboard furniture. It really is neat pieces.
Google it and let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 07:37 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Forget it. You can get decent used furniture at a lower price.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:09 PM

61,679 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Durable? Probably.
Cheaper than regular - not really...
But... Environmentally conscious? Sure!

And you can find very interesting and unique pieces.
https://www.treehugger.com/sustainab...verywhere.html

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...orating-budget

Or even build some yourself:
A Guide to Cardboard Furniture - from customboxesnow.com - custom cardboard boxes & more

Old 08-07-2018, 08:53 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,065 times
You would be better off buying affordable, 2nd hand pieces from Craigslist, Estate Sales or Thrift Stores. They will last longer, look better, and buying used is environmentally friendly, too

Old 08-07-2018, 10:30 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post

If you are actually serious, then this goes beyond frugal and enters into the realm of mental illness.

Frugality isn't the same thing as being cheap. Frugality is about getting the highest amount of value from purchases. Those pieces do not hold up to the rigors of time, no matter how many shills are flogging it in the press.

In truth, a few expeditions to estate sales around your house will get you better-quality pieces for less than what you'd shell out for those really ugly pieces.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
I wouldn't do it because of bugs. Cockroaches and other nasties like cardboard. Buy used furniture. It will last longer, won't get damaged by humidity, won't attract roaches, and will still be environmentally friendly.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Agree with all who say to buy second hand. I have downsized to an apartment and have bought everything second hand. Nice leather love seat, tv stand. This past weekend I got a beautiful off white leather easy chair from a thrift store.

Second hand, whether it's thrift stores, estate sales, yard sales, is how you can get good furniture dirt cheap.

And if you move, just donate to a thrift store so someone else can use it.

The only furniture I wouldn't buy second hand would be mattresses. You have to watch out for upholstered furniture because it could contain bed bugs. I go to thrift stores and yard sales in really nice areas and have never found bed bugs to be an issue. Especially if you buy the item right from the person's house, you can see for yourself how clean it is. Sometimes you can pay a little more and the person will deliver it to you if they have a truck.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:48 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
I don't know why anyone would do that, when you can get brand new end tables at IKEA for about $15.00, and a coffee table for $30.00, etc.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00095036/

I also find a lot of great things in thrift shops, and I have a bookcase and a couple of other things through opportunistic "dumpster diving". One man's trash, and all that...

Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,251 times
I wouldn't do it.

Spending money on high quality, well made furniture is the most frugal thing you can do. I have furniture I spent a lot of money on, but will last my entire life, if I choose not to replace it. Yes, it's more expensive up front, but in the long term spending money on high quality long lasting things is often the most frugal choice you can make.

I have bookcases, a coffee table and entertainment center hand made by a local craftsman. They weren't cheap, but they will be in as good of quality 30 years from now as they are today.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Just looked at the links Elnina provided. The furniture does look cute. I guess I could see getting something like a fold up guest bed--that would be practical and kind of fun. But for general purposes, I would pay LESS and get second hand furniture. I have absolutely no interest in junky Ikea for a lot of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living