Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:00 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times

Advertisements

So we had a retirement party at my job today. Nice lady (I didn't know her well) worked 40 years in my division but in another building. we always chatted about Ocean city NJ which is one of our favorite places.

Anyhoo, of course talk turned to what she'll do in retirement, she mentioned that she just purchased an Oceanfront condo in OC and chit chat went on.

Well at lunch a coworker who I do know fairly well said, You know "jean" brought that condo just to show off.

What the heck?? so I asked "what do you mean" and got people who buy oceanfront condo's do it for the "status".

At first I just kinda thought "ok, low blood sugar has kicked in" but then I got to thinking, I do read that line of thinking a lot. People who have big houses, or if someone buys a luxury car.

This is just my brain rattling around. Do we really think people who purchase luxury items do so for the "status" or could a little bit of the green monster be rearing it's ugly head.

lol, I did admit to jealousy, I would love, love love to have a place at the beach. it's my retirement dream but I'd like to think I'd still be happy for someone who achieved their dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 04:05 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,426,909 times
I don’t make assumptions about what people buy. Maybe it’s as simple as she likes the beach and made sacrifices to prioritize being able to afford that over other things. Or maybe she’s rich enough to simply afford it without sacrifice. I wouldn’t really be jealous or resentful that someone has something they enjoy.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:53 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,209 times
It could be all the above. In my opinion, if someone flaunts their stuff, then they are showing off. But if the condo thing was the worst kept secret, in terms of the owner of the condo not bragging that she had one, but the news got out by word of mouth, then i wouldnt think anything of it.

Remember. For those who has these nice things may/probably have a lot of debt and i definitely dont envy that.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:49 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
I think the coworker is jealous. What kind of remark is that, "people do it for the status"? She's retiring after 40 years, who the heck does she want to impress at "work"? She no longer will be working there and probably could not care less if she ever saw anyone from there again. She bought it as a reward for her many years of hard work, and she deserves it.

More power to her.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:08 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
Sheesh.

I ignore such peopke.

My neighbor is a nice guy. But his house is on the market for an exorbitant price over what he paid <3 years,ago the month before we bought ours.

He thinks he's got the best house on the block. Well, after 3 months on the market in a hot market, at the real estate hottest time of any year, it isn't selling.

Gee I wonder why.

He wants a status house >3000sqft, in an exclusive area, and is trying to make his outsized for our neighborhood house foot the bill it's only 1800 sqft. In a desirable but not exclusive neighborhood. It wont work.

If she,wanted it just to be on the beach, if she wanted a status symbol, who cares? If she enjoys it, let her. Great for her.

Too many people are too concerned with what others are doing. Your "friend" ( probably jealous too) is one of them.

Let it go and don't be one who obsesses over such things either.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:07 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,153 times
It might be jealousy occasionally.

I don't really see how buying a condo in a place that she's loved and talked about for many years is a "status thing."

If she's actually moving to the condo, then it makes even more sense. Condos are PERFECT for retirees.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:53 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,540 times
Only jealous people make comments like that.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 307,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Only jealous people make comments like that.
I agree. I would have responded to her comment with "I'm happy for her," which I'm sure would have sent her on her way to try to recruit the next person.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:45 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
So she loves OC and decided to buy a beach front condo? Um that’s what most people would do if they loved the beach and could afford it in retirement.

I’m calling jealousy!

Old 08-15-2018, 06:26 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,914,839 times
I really don't care what someone else does with their money or why they do it, as long as it doesn't affect me. More than likely she wasn't trying to brag. Buying that condo was probably a dream her and her family had for decades, and after 20 years of saving and planning, they could finally buy it. Naturally, I would expect her to be excited and want to talk about it.

I don't see any reason for the co-worker to say what was said outside of jealousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living