U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 02:25 PM

333 posts, read 232,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
The mattress is inflatable. I have eliminated this as a choice. Thank you.
Actually it's self-inflating, if that makes a difference. I've slept approximately 500 nights on mattresses made by Exped and have never had a leak or a failure of any type. These mattresses are a different breed from what most people are familiar with.

As I think about it, I really wonder how we ended up with such massive mattresses with boxsprings that take two strong men to move them, while the prices went up exorbitantly. All that to support one human? What other creature in nature requires such a thing?

Also, the mattress industry is a racket---it's impossible to compare mattresses within the same company or between companies because the same mattress is sold under a number of different model names. You can't even research mattress models online; you will find very little or no information or reviews about a specific model. If the Toyota Corolla were sold under 10 different names I think consumers would rebel.

I've posted this cot and mattress here because this is the frugality forum and I associate frugality with simplicity. I think we need a revolution in sleeping simplicity. We've been sold the idea that only a heavy expensive mattress can be comfortable---but in fact, how many of us are comfortable? More often I think we test a mattress in the store and think it's okay, get it home, and know after the first night that it was the wrong purchase, at which point we're stuck with it for the next 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 03:17 PM

5,527 posts, read 5,572,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
Actually it's self-inflating, if that makes a difference. I've slept approximately 500 nights on mattresses made by Exped and have never had a leak or a failure of any type. These mattresses are a different breed from what most people are familiar with.

As I think about it, I really wonder how we ended up with such massive mattresses with boxsprings that take two strong men to move them, while the prices went up exorbitantly. All that to support one human? What other creature in nature requires such a thing?

Also, the mattress industry is a racket---it's impossible to compare mattresses within the same company or between companies because the same mattress is sold under a number of different model names. You can't even research mattress models online; you will find very little or no information or reviews about a specific model. If the Toyota Corolla were sold under 10 different names I think consumers would rebel.

I've posted this cot and mattress here because this is the frugality forum and I associate frugality with simplicity. I think we need a revolution in sleeping simplicity. We've been sold the idea that only a heavy expensive mattress can be comfortable---but in fact, how many of us are comfortable? More often I think we test a mattress in the store and think it's okay, get it home, and know after the first night that it was the wrong purchase, at which point we're stuck with it for the next 5 years.
Lol! Many people agree with you. I never realized how many people dislike mattresses.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:11 PM

20,414 posts, read 25,646,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
I'm fed up with expensive, heavy mattresses that sag in the middle after a couple of months. The next time I move I'm going to ditch the regular mattress for good and go with the above.

That's very cool but for a very small bed it is over $300.00 What if you have an overnight guest. You can buy a XL twin or full size memory foam mattress and frame for less than that...and some are very comfortable

Old 08-25-2018, 10:32 PM

17,023 posts, read 20,944,952 times
I bought one of these to sleep on when my mattress was being transported when I moved.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Que...-Pump/20927117

It's incredibly comfortable. I never thought an air mattress could ever be so comfortable. It also didn't leak air during the night. It also deflates easily and stores easily in a closet.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:55 AM

8,156 posts, read 7,165,297 times
We live in an RV, took out the existing hide a bed that my son sleeps on for an good airbed $100. It went flat after six months. Then we got a foam mattress, and he's much happier. Sleeps much better.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:34 AM

16,557 posts, read 7,301,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Lol! Many people agree with you. I never realized how many people dislike mattresses.
When I was a kid, on hot nights Id sleep on the floor - carpeted hardwood. No mattress of any kind. I was completely comfortable. Im old now, so I do need some padding. But those 8 mattresses are too hot and suffocating.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:17 AM

5,527 posts, read 5,572,335 times
I really do not mind being on the floor. I just need some padding . I hope the memory form does the trick. Memory form? Lol!

Old 08-30-2018, 05:40 AM

31 posts, read 10,257 times
Air mattress I think the best between the two.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:13 AM

7,024 posts, read 12,467,469 times
You mentioned getting your mattress from Big Lots. Do that then buy a memory foam pad to put on top of it. We did that and never slept better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sealy-Me...-302750070-_-N

Old 09-01-2018, 08:26 AM

1,294 posts, read 648,250 times
With a budget of $ 200.00, that leaves you with a pretty decent air mattress. I would go to BBB, bring your 20% off coupon and get an Aerobed, full or Queen. Should come to about $ 200.00 after your coupon. They are awesome and have an auto-pump, so easy.

You can get a mattress-in-a-box from Wal-Mart, but for $ 200.00, it will be about 8" thick and probably of poor quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or