U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:30 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a cheap mattress or air mattress that I can easily move when I leave my temporary housing. I am a woman. I really do not want to spend more than $200. I also want comfort. I know it is a tall order. I did a little research and I read the Instabed is pretty good but I do not know. I have had bad experiences with air mattresses in the past so I am a little reluctant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:10 AM

955 posts, read 109,349 times
Look up "futon," "futon sofa," "futon bed," and "futon mattress" on the Internet and see what you can find. There are many varieties. I like the ones with the powder-coated steel frames that look like a sofa by day and flip down into a bed by night (or whenever you sleep). Make sure you get a nice thick futon mattress (~7") so you don't feel the steel frame under you.

Also look up Spa Sensations. They make simple, sturdy powder coated steel bed frames and memory foam mattresses. There are other brands like it, but I can't think of the names right now. Also a great alternative to regular beds. We have one of those frames with a regular twin mattress on it and love it. Simplicity and great quality and comparatively low cost. The frames fold up to store or move.

Last edited by barb712; 08-20-2018 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 AM

22,674 posts, read 28,559,598 times
i love air mattresses for an easy option for guests. i have even taken them with me when visiting family just in case they didnt have a decent bed for everyone. but i would be wary of using one every night. you are in that bed 8 hours or so a night and you need to sleep well and comfortable. a bad bed can lead to all sorts of back and other problems. i consider it a place where you want to make sure you spend enough to get a quality product.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am looking for a cheap mattress or air mattress that I can easily move when I leave my temporary housing. I am a woman. I really do not want to spend more than $200. I also want comfort. I know it is a tall order. I did a little research and I read the Instabed is pretty good but I do not know. I have had bad experiences with air mattresses in the past so I am a little reluctant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What size do you want? I also recommend a memory foam mattress and yes Spa Sensations are very good...and will last much much longer than an air mattress.

Full set($161.00) which I would get if I was single. Easier to move and less expensive:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensa...f7&athena=true

frame:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensa...77&athena=true

An XL Twin would also work well;

The mattress is $99.00
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensa...8b&athena=true

The matching frame is out of stock right now but I'm sure it will be in soon or you can find another one.
$52.00
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensa...15&athena=true

Old 08-20-2018, 10:45 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,813,690 times
I would shop Nextdoor if you only need this for a short while. You could always resale, give it away or leave it outside. That makes you more portable without extra costs for moving.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i love air mattresses for an easy option for guests. i have even taken them with me when visiting family just in case they didnt have a decent bed for everyone. but i would be wary of using one every night. you are in that bed 8 hours or so a night and you need to sleep well and comfortable. a bad bed can lead to all sorts of back and other problems. i consider it a place where you want to make sure you spend enough to get a quality product.
I agree. I am not going to buy the air mattress. It is too complicated and I had a bad experience with two of them.

I have been sleeping on the floor and it is terrible. The cheap comes out expensive. I am going to get me a good mattress.Big Lots has a couple that are less than $400. Labor day sales will be coming soon. Maybe I can get a better deal. Hopefully, I can get help to move the mattress. I plan to stay close by.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I would shop Nextdoor if you only need this for a short while. You could always resale, give it away or leave it outside. That makes you more portable without extra costs for moving.
Is this like Craigslist? I will check it out but I will not buy a used mattress.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Is this like Craigslist? I will check it out but I will not buy a used mattress.
You join as a member of your local neighborhood. You can pick other neighborhoods to be included sort of like being friends on Facebook. There is stuff bought and sold there, neighborhood announcements, lost dog, local law enforcement announcements, etc.

I live in a nice area. I'm not really afraid of what I would find used.

Another option would to be to go to a local furniture store. See if they have any stuff they are clearancing out. We did that several years ago and came away with a pretty good deal on something nice and name brand.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 08-20-2018 at 05:27 PM..

Old 08-21-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You join as a member of your local neighborhood. You can pick other neighborhoods to be included sort of like being friends on Facebook. There is stuff bought and sold there, neighborhood announcements, lost dog, local law enforcement announcements, etc.

I live in a nice area. I'm not really afraid of what I would find used.

Another option would to be to go to a local furniture store. See if they have any stuff they are clearancing out. We did that several years ago and came away with a pretty good deal on something nice and name brand.
Me too. The couple who got my bed made out like bandits. It was well cared for. I am not sure what to do. I need something I can move myself. I think I can move an extra long twin mattress.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 AM

I've bought bunk bed mattresses brand new for less than $200. They are fairly comfortable if you have the right foundation under them. You should be able to find something at a furniture store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or