U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 02:16 PM

5,441 posts, read 3,402,824 times

Advertisements

What you do is you team up with a friend who also wants to have a garage sale. Maybe she’ll bring her stuff over to your house.

You both sell some things and have a great time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 04:15 PM

19,043 posts, read 10,066,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What you do is you team up with a friend who also wants to have a garage sale. Maybe she’ll bring her stuff over to your house.

You both sell some things and have a great time.
Yeah, I was thinking this would be good. You do a one time thing and it's over, you aren't alone dealing with meeting people to exchange goods and money. And afterwards, you can reasonably justify donating the rest and not feeling like you are losing money because if people don't buy it at a garage sale, odds are slim they'd buy it directly.

I should take my own advice....

Old 08-23-2018, 04:19 PM

6,517 posts, read 2,371,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Anyone else? I'm so conflicted! Preparing for retirement and downsizing (extremely), but just can't bring myself to post items for sale online or hold a yard sale. I'm somewhat shy and just kind of hate dealing with strangers, esp. since so many seem so flaky when it comes to this (dickering over prices, not showing up, etc.).
I would recommend against having a garage sale. Garage sales also attract criminals into the neighborhood as well as people looking to get stuff for "free".

The better option would be to list it all on facebook sale pages or donate to a charity.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:25 PM

2,686 posts, read 6,130,475 times
Quote:
Sounds wonderful! But, being frugal, how did you reconcile it? One good thing: I've stopped bringing ANYTHING NEW into the house! Not worth the trouble of disposing of later.
I was like you. Figured a few bucks was better than nothing. Then the hassle outweighed the benefits, especially as the deadline neared. I wound up giving away stuff free by putting it at the curb with a "first come, first served" on facebook yard sale.

My story from another thread:

Planned for years to full time in an RV after retirement. Started decrapping many years ago.

Went from a 2500sf house plus 1000sf guest house plus two sheds plus four vehicles on almost 3 acres into an RV and the remainder in a 5X7 storage unit.

-Sold house.
-Sold three of the vehicles. Kept one car and bought RV.
-Traded all furniture for home repair services with a friend.
-Gave away/trashed/sold like crazy.

Tips:
-Used FB yard sale, CL and ebay. I don't like to haggle so priced stuff extremely low. Gave away a lot through FB yard sale. Many no shows even for free stuff. I learned that if a buyer mentions having to pick up their kids to/from buying my item they will NEVER show up. Learned to give buyers a deadline to show up or I will move on. I don't mind rescheduling but you need to communicate with me. I stopped chasing no shows.

-Old does not mean valuable. Your stuff is junk. I had an old copy of Gone With The Wind I thought would bring big bucks. Ha! eBay has many copies available from the same vintage and in much better shape selling for $5-6. eBay is a good barometer on general value especially the sold listings.

-Your kid(s) don't want your crap. My only kid took what she wanted, which wasn't much. I foolishly saved things I wanted her to have only to have her reject them again. Lesson: Ask once. Take immediately.

-Try to handle items only once. Decide the disposition immediately then move to the next item.

I actually found a box of my childhood items my mom saved for me. It was mostly school things, report cards etc. It was still in the moving box my parents used when they moved from PA to FL-in 1983.

It is very liberating. No one says "I wish i had more stuff."

Old 08-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 7 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,504,773 times
Quote:
Anyone else? I'm so conflicted! Preparing for retirement and downsizing (extremely), but just can't bring myself to post items for sale online or hold a yard sale. I'm somewhat shy and just kind of hate dealing with strangers, esp. since so many seem so flaky when it comes to this (dickering over prices, not showing up, etc.). It would be so much easier to just give it away, assuming I could find one worthy local charity, but the cheapskate in me won't let me forego the money...

Paralyzed with piles of unwanted stuff mounting in the spare bedroom (I'm good about organizing it, at least); help!

I am the queen of yard sales and love selling. Would love to help you out

First are your items truly valuable? Have you checked the prices for some of your items? I have had luck selling on Facebook groups like Yard Sales/Online Garage Sale...and then your town or county. Also Facebook Marketplace. This works well for larger or more expensive items. I wouldn't want to waste my time getting phone calls and making appointments for an item that is $5.00.

Do you have a friend that can help you list your items with pictures? I have done that for friends of mine for larger items.

If you do have a sale at your house make sure everything is priced. If you price it to sell I find that there really isn't that much dickering. The idea of having a friend, group, or neighborhood sale is a good one. I know when I check for sales going on I am most likely to go to a multi sale as opposed to a single sale. Possibly more deals

Having a yard sale is a one shot deal. You deal with everyone at one time but I would still advertise my larger itms online and tell them about the sale. So while you may not want to do that it is a faster way of getting people out of your life, lol.

As for safety I have never had an issue. If you think that might be a problem then set everything up outside, keep your garage door closed, and don't let anyone in your house.

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:45 PM

22,722 posts, read 21,779,470 times
I've had yard sales, sold things on craigslist, Facebook, given things away, and dumped more in the trash than I ever thought I'd have to. I don't want to fill the local landfill, but that junk has got to go somewhere.

No one wants Buffy the Vampire Slayer? My friend gave me five years of that when she moved. She didn't want to throw them away.

Sold! to the lowest bidder. No, it went to the trash. Moving week was hectic.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:51 PM

16,756 posts, read 20,529,725 times
Put stuff for sale on Craigslist. Have a sale. Whichever floats your boat. If you discover you don't like dealing with either, and you don't care about the money, then just donate it, or throw it away.

There are no rules here.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:01 PM

2,537 posts, read 851,530 times
I give stuff away all the time, and yes, I'm frugal, too, but I'd rather donate in hope that it finds a home with someone who'll use and appreciate the item, than have to deal with potential buyers. So I vote get rid of it and be done with it. Don't think about what you could have sold things for, it's just not worth the stress. If you really need the money, however, you're going to have to get over your fears and just list the darn stuff on Craigslist, FB, Nextdoor, wherever.

good luck

Old 08-24-2018, 06:07 AM

11,712 posts, read 16,463,708 times
OMG = out of my garage. Give it away, donate, throw out!

Old 08-24-2018, 06:13 AM

1,016 posts, read 293,915 times
My rule: if I haven't touched something in a year, I get rid of it. If you go 12 months without using something, you can easily get rid of it.

I don't have a problem buying new things as needed, but what's the logic in keeping old stuff just sitting around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or