U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 02:33 PM

22,697 posts, read 28,583,687 times

Advertisements

i didnt notice you give any detail on what it is you are looking to get rid off. that leads me to believe it isnt anything valuable. i would throw it out.

i pretty much would never sell anything (exept cars, jewelry, etc.). i would try to give it away to friends and then to strangers. if that is too much of a pain, in the garbage it goes.

fortunately, my wife is more willing to sell stuff so she has sold things that have some value ($50+) online. when we move we gave away a bunch of stuff. one annoyance was the people tell you they will come pick it up and then no show. made me prefer trashing stuff instead of giving it to needy people through facebook. i did get to chainsaw some furniture which was kind of fun.

i consider myself frugal but my quality of life and time has a cost also. im only willing to put up with so much for a little money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 02:34 PM

7,091 posts, read 3,788,271 times
Agree, and it's also annoying that your posts are out there for everyone to see with your name attached to them. Who wants all their junk advertised on a public forum?

However, I would donate rather than trash. I personally don't want to be responsible for filling up our landfills, and you never know if someone out there can use it. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Old 08-25-2018, 10:01 AM

3,209 posts, read 2,816,017 times
You can possibly use your donations for tax exemptions . That may net you more money than selling.

I've done a few garage sale. Depends on where you live as to what type of clientele you get. Some places are better to sell than others. Everyone is looking for a bargain. I've found it easier not to price everything. Put it out there and tell them to pay what they want. At least you won't have to haul it off.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:19 AM

18,890 posts, read 12,498,870 times
Donate it all. Be done with it.

How to justify? By realizing the stuff will not be in your house any more. You will feel so relieved to be rid of it.

You donít want the hassle of selling it, so just release it.

The other easiest option is to have a garage sale. That is work, but you will get rid of lots of stuff. Donít call it a rummage sale. Get a helper for the day. Move everything to the garage the night before. Open early and sell stuff.

Then donate whatís left.

Problem solved.

You can move on.

If you remain undecided for awhile, I think you must be conflicted about your move, downsizing or something having to do with the process. So if thatís the case, resolve that so you can move on.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:18 PM

374 posts, read 207,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I'm not sure about ebay stores but for larger items you could check with consignment stores. There are some for clothes, antiques, and also some for basic household items. It would be awesome if you find a mix. Again that would work best for more valuable items.

I'm in Florida right now but building a barn so no spare time

We took a dining room set to a local consignment shop and two months later received a check for half the selling price. It felt good to get something for it while not having to deal with people coming to the house. OP, since you have pictures of everything, you can take those into a consignment shop to see if they would be interested in selling some of your things for you. There will always be people who can't afford new but still need basic furniture.

The smaller stuff I would probably grit my teeth and have one big garage sale pricing things real low just to get someone else to haul them away. Anything left over would be donated to Habitat for Humanity or Goodwill.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:38 AM

1,086 posts, read 1,767,122 times
I just donated a few things to a thrift shop that helps a church help others. The wife of a police officer owns the shop. I probably could have sold the items for 3-4 hundred but it's nice that they will be sold to help others in need.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
I just donated a few things to a thrift shop that helps a church help others. The wife of a police officer owns the shop. I probably could have sold the items for 3-4 hundred but it's nice that they will be sold to help others in need.
I was totally on board with doing that and, in fact, DID contribute (donating to a thrift shop supposedly supporting a cause near and dear to my heart) until I unfortunately learned that some of the more valuable items coming through the door -- and people generously donate really nice things -- were instead being stolen and put up for sale in private antique booths. I then felt I couldn't support them and became stymied...

To answer the poster above, I don't feel "conflicted" about my upcoming move (except that I'm unsure where I'm moving; only THAT I'm moving), but I do feel overwhelmed by the idea of it.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:32 AM

1,551 posts, read 546,050 times
So OP is a hoarder?
My rule of thumb is if it hasn't been used in 3 years or so, it gets donated, sold or recycled.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:46 AM

4,860 posts, read 2,155,582 times
Just a suggestion. Find a local upcoming sales wannabe. Offer them 10% commision to show up and represent on the garage sale day. I did this and did a spreadsheet of items. I had a high/low price guide. If he sold everything on that sheet..it would have been 300 in his pocket free and clear . He ended up with 450 since he pumped up a sale for a bed st that I priced at 250 he sold it for 400$. Turns out I was under pricing a lot and he found a way to bring in more. I just wanted the stuff gone. He made it happen. I loved that he did 'surprise' boxes. They were filled with towels or pans/dishe's. The person paid from 10$ to 25$. They enjoyed the mystery and some said..hey ! Just what we needed for our kid going off to college.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
So OP is a hoarder?
My rule of thumb is if it hasn't been used in 3 years or so, it gets donated, sold or recycled.
Are you asking?

I'm hardly a hoarder; my living quarters are practically bare. But I do have a collection of items in the basement that I absolutely don't want -- if they vanished into thin air tomorrow, I would be only happy -- but as long as I know I could earn money selling them, I feel -- being frugal -- that I should be selling them (and I don't really want to engage in the selling process), so there they sit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or