U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Texas
6,517 posts, read 2,371,038 times
Reputation: 13950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I think there's a segment of the population that does nothing but drive around in a pickup all day looking for Free Stuff on Craigslist.
These people annoy me because they will contact me asking if I'll just give them the item. They'll use any variation of the following:

"I know a charity that needs this" or "This really isn't worth anything, I'll be glad to just pick it up for you and take it off your hands."

Also when I advertised a garage sale, I had people contact me asking if they could come by and pick up the leftovers and also had "customers" coming by, refusing to buy anything and wanting to know what I'd give them. This became so annoying that I no longer have garage sales and I've noticed most of my neighbors stopped having them, too because they were tired of the disgusting behavior of grifters wanting free stuff to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM
 
7,091 posts, read 3,788,271 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Does your neighborhood have a yard sale? Might be the happy medium, you give it a day and sell them and what doesn't sell, you know you gotta donate.
No; I live in a weird area (not really a "neighborhood"). Those are a lot of work, anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 12:12 PM
 
7,091 posts, read 3,788,271 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
These people annoy me because they will contact me asking if I'll just give them the item. They'll use any variation of the following:

"I know a charity that needs this" or "This really isn't worth anything, I'll be glad to just pick it up for you and take it off your hands."

Also when I advertised a garage sale, I had people contact me asking if they could come by and pick up the leftovers and also had "customers" coming by, refusing to buy anything and wanting to know what I'd give them. This became so annoying that I no longer have garage sales and I've noticed most of my neighbors stopped having them, too because they were tired of the disgusting behavior of grifters wanting free stuff to sell.
The last time I left a considerable amount of actually pretty good stuff with my favorite local charity benefiting my favorite cause, I came back shortly after with another carload of things only to see many of my belongings leaving in cars, arms, bike baskets, and shopping carts, having been given away free to "the needy" before even making it into the thrift store. If I wanted to give to "the needy," I'd do it myself. Turns out they also set things that they "don't think will sell" out on the curb for free for passersby to pick through. That annoyed me, for some reason, to the point where I no longer donate to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2018, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Texas
6,517 posts, read 2,371,038 times
Reputation: 13950
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The last time I left a considerable amount of actually pretty good stuff with my favorite local charity benefiting my favorite cause, I came back shortly after with another carload of things only to see many of my belongings leaving in cars, arms, bike baskets, and shopping carts, having been given away free to "the needy" before even making it into the thrift store. If I wanted to give to "the needy," I'd do it myself. Turns out they also set things that they "don't think will sell" out on the curb for free for passersby to pick through. That annoyed me, for some reason, to the point where I no longer donate to them.
It sounds like those stores have the same problem that garage sales have. People wanting free stuff. Problem is when they give things away, this becomes the norm and it makes it harder for these stores to sell anything. If they represent a charity then they should be selling the "overflow" on ebay or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
7,001 posts, read 5,201,036 times
Reputation: 9447
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The last time I left a considerable amount of actually pretty good stuff with my favorite local charity benefiting my favorite cause, I came back shortly after with another carload of things only to see many of my belongings leaving in cars, arms, bike baskets, and shopping carts, having been given away free to "the needy" before even making it into the thrift store. If I wanted to give to "the needy," I'd do it myself. Turns out they also set things that they "don't think will sell" out on the curb for free for passersby to pick through. That annoyed me, for some reason, to the point where I no longer donate to them.
I think you're not being honest with yourself on the value of the stuff.

Also, while I understand that one can chose to support cancer research or conservation or whatever, but the point of charitable donations is, broadly speaking, to help those that need help.

If a used goods store that relies on donations doesn't think it will sell, that may be telling, especially considering some stuff I've seen in various thrift stores.

Remember, if they don't think that free-to-them stuff will sell, then its unlikely to sell. The only overhead they have is the shelf space it consumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2018, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Texas
6,517 posts, read 2,371,038 times
Reputation: 13950
I've heard that Goodwill gets so many donations that they throw a lot of stuff away in dumpsters behind their store. I've seen photographs and people talk about what a shame is that it's thrown out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2018, 09:38 AM
 
7,091 posts, read 3,788,271 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think you're not being honest with yourself on the value of the stuff.

Also, while I understand that one can chose to support cancer research or conservation or whatever, but the point of charitable donations is, broadly speaking, to help those that need help.

If a used goods store that relies on donations doesn't think it will sell, that may be telling, especially considering some stuff I've seen in various thrift stores.

Remember, if they don't think that free-to-them stuff will sell, then its unlikely to sell. The only overhead they have is the shelf space it consumes.
This particular shop is often overwhelmed with donations (it's a very popular charity in town), and I agree that I shouldn't care where the stuff goes, but for some reason I do. They should probably just turn whatever they don't want away at the door and let the "donator" make the call as to where it goes next...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2018, 09:21 AM
 
669 posts, read 264,586 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Hate to break it to you, but your stuff isn't worth all that much (in most cases). The couple hundred bucks, barring known collectables, isn't usually worth the hassle. Either donate the lot of it or if you want a fair opinion, hire an auction company to come in and evaluate/liquidate. Estate sales would be another option, for getting rid of anything you'd rather not move.



Me, I've been through too many moves. If it's not over $100 individually, it's not worth my time to sell. I'll occasionally list a 'lot' of like items if its a few hundred dollars, but generally I either trash or donate the items. It's hard at first, you get attached to things... but they're just things. The value you see is sentimental, not real... no one is going to pay you more just because you have fond memories associated.
Not my case, certainly wasn't my Grandfather's case, and wouldn't be my Father's, or his Wife's case.
This really depends.
This donate stuff doesn't take into account that you have never saw one thing this person has. Could it all be worthless? Yes. Is it? You nor I know.

People have to figure out what is worth putting online, and than everything else. What specialty shops will buy certain things from you, and what just to give away. Also local auction houses can be a resource.

If anything has sentimental value, decide what is most important, and hold onto it, and potentially leave it to a family member once you are gone (Hopefully there will be someone to leave it to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2018, 11:07 AM
 
352 posts, read 81,177 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If they represent a charity then they should be selling the "overflow" on ebay or something.
That's a lot of work and both e-Bay and Paypal skim off their cuts. Frequently the default postage charge e-Bay adds doesn't cover the cost of shipping bulkier items. You're not left with all that much for your work.
I've sold stuff on e-Bay but I'm very selective because of these factors.

I agree that charities should be more careful about what they accept in the first place. A friend worked at a domestic violence shelter and said that the Director had a policy that they didn't turn anything away. As a result, people would pull up with the pickup full of stuff they got from the house after Mom died- her old shoes, her partly-used makeup, her underwear, her knicknacks... and then they'd have to get rid of things that no one in the shelter needed. (And sometimes I wonder how the donors valued those items for tax purposes.) They finally changed their policy.

If they're going to put items such as old textbooks, used shoes, vases, etc. out on the curb immediately, maybe they should just put up a sign saying what they won't accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2018, 11:28 AM
 
7,091 posts, read 3,788,271 times
Reputation: 10580
I wouldn't suggest they sell it on eBay, but funnel it to another charity with a greater capacity (this is quite a small shop).

I assure you I don't donate "junk"; I separate out things that I deem worthless and just throw those away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top