U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 02:03 PM

3,003 posts, read 1,696,518 times

Advertisements

Garage sales are generally a waste of time IMO.

If you're not in a time crunch I'd just put 2-3 items on Craigslist at a time, starting with the more valuable items. For anything that doesn't sell in a week or two, drop the price, repeat until sold or give up (at which case donate if possible). Don't let people in your house. Meet them outside or at some public place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 01:04 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,271,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Not my case, certainly wasn't my Grandfather's case, and wouldn't be my Father's, or his Wife's case.
This really depends.
This donate stuff doesn't take into account that you have never saw one thing this person has. Could it all be worthless? Yes. Is it? You nor I know.

People have to figure out what is worth putting online, and than everything else. What specialty shops will buy certain things from you, and what just to give away. Also local auction houses can be a resource.

If anything has sentimental value, decide what is most important, and hold onto it, and potentially leave it to a family member once you are gone (Hopefully there will be someone to leave it to).
I agree with you. Virtually nothing I have had is worthless, so that's completely wrong. I pulled out all of my old Magic cards 5 years ago, wondering what they were worth, I sold off my collection for around $2,000. I only had paid maybe $500 at most for those cards back when I was a kid because I had already sold off the most valuable parts of my collection (ugh, those cards I sold as a kid were now worth several thousand at least). My Star Wars collectible cards were the best investment I have ever made. On a complete whim, I was at a Star Wars Celebration when I was younger, I think it was either Celebration I or II, and this vendor had an ENORMOUS number of boxes for sale, all unopened, stacked 4 feet tall, there seemed to be absolutely no shortage of supply. They were all marked $10 or $20 for entire boxes that used to be $60-100. I decided to go kind of crazy and I bought 20 boxes of various different sets, usually 2-3 per expansion. My only regret is that I didn't buy every box the guy had and get them shipped back to me.

I kept almost every box unopened. Those boxes sold for on average between $100-200, so I pocketed RIDICULOUS returns on those boxes when I sold them 5 years ago. Better than I could have ever done in any stock market. Two years ago, I sold about half of my Star Wars prop collection for $28,000. I had paid about 40% of that price or so, some items had quadrupled in value, others just doubled, but I made money on every single piece I sold it was just a matter of how much. I retained the better and rarer half of my collection, which is still worth another $30K easily and that's just the props. Everything all together probably $50K.

So the idea that YOU personally have junk, that's nice, every collection I've bought has appreciated massively except for my Marvel comics and comic cards from 4th grade. Those remain virtually worthless, and I'll probably make some attempt to package them into a large box and sell them in bulk but it won't be much. A few hundred dollars if I'm lucky.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:33 PM

2,316 posts, read 1,905,622 times
I have some collectible vintage clothing that I use in photo shoots and don’t want to sell, even though I hate having it around.

I’d like to sell some of my clothing on eBay but wonder if it’s worth the time. I do see some people selling shirts, sweaters etc for 5 bucks or whatever.

Perhaps I should join them and at least put some gas in the car if nothing else lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or