U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 01:34 PM

7,080 posts, read 3,780,855 times

Advertisements

Anyone else? I'm so conflicted! Preparing for retirement and downsizing (extremely), but just can't bring myself to post items for sale online or hold a yard sale. I'm somewhat shy and just kind of hate dealing with strangers, esp. since so many seem so flaky when it comes to this (dickering over prices, not showing up, etc.). It would be so much easier to just give it away, assuming I could find one worthy local charity, but the cheapskate in me won't let me forego the money...

Paralyzed with piles of unwanted stuff mounting in the spare bedroom (I'm good about organizing it, at least); help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 01:40 PM

18,975 posts, read 10,040,378 times
what is your plan for transitioning to your downsized home - will you be moving into that prior to selling the current one? If yes, then you could move everything you are keeping and then hire one of those estate sale companies to sell off whatever else they can, and I think you can also arrange for them to donate and discard whatever's left.

Of course they charge a hefty fee so while you'd net some money, it may or may not be less than if you sold yourself - I think people may be willing to pay more at an "estate sale" vs a "garage sale" so perhaps you'd end up coming out even or close to it. And of course not having to do it all yourself has a value anyway.

I do know what you are feeling though - I'm not getting ready to downsize but I have a growing kid and always think I'm going to sell the things he outgrows and then never find the time to photograph and list it and usually - FINALLY - end up just donating it when I get sick of the stuff taking up room. It would be nice to have a little extra money but on the other hand, my time and effort has a value too, and just getting the stuff *gone* has an enormous value to me.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:40 PM

9,266 posts, read 7,289,484 times
Is the stuff worth enlisting an estate sales type of service? I believe home organizers can also help set up a garage or other sales.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:43 PM

4,293 posts, read 6,395,292 times
Hate to break it to you, but your stuff isn't worth all that much (in most cases). The couple hundred bucks, barring known collectables, isn't usually worth the hassle. Either donate the lot of it or if you want a fair opinion, hire an auction company to come in and evaluate/liquidate. Estate sales would be another option, for getting rid of anything you'd rather not move.

Me, I've been through too many moves. If it's not over $100 individually, it's not worth my time to sell. I'll occasionally list a 'lot' of like items if its a few hundred dollars, but generally I either trash or donate the items. It's hard at first, you get attached to things... but they're just things. The value you see is sentimental, not real... no one is going to pay you more just because you have fond memories associated.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:45 PM

I've actually gotten as far as photographing it (and I've still more to collect from around the house; ugh!), but then I can't come up with a price. I think about just listing it for "best offer" and get tired thinking about going around and around with people, haggling. Then you have to meet them somewhere or have them come to your house (I live alone). It's all exhausting just to contemplate! I know I'd feel like a weight was lifted if I could just give it all away or trash it, but the frugal inner me has a problem with that. I've done the auction thing before (my mother's estate), and we got only pennies on the dollar for even valuable antiques. It WAS easy, though! I don't really have enough of worth to merit an auction, although I did consider your idea of doing a "living estate sale" with what remains when I finally sell the house and move. However, at present I'm just trying to get rid of all the admittedly pretty worthless items I don't know why I ever bought. Truth is, because I'm so cheap, I probably paid little or nothing for most of them. The problem is, I see other people making hundreds of dollars selling this crap and think, hey, that's a hundred dollars I didn't have before! I even clip coupons, so just giving that up doesn't come naturally.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:47 PM

424 posts, read 176,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Hate to break it to you, but your stuff isn't worth all that much (in most cases). The couple hundred bucks, barring known collectables, isn't usually worth the hassle. Either donate the lot of it or if you want a fair opinion, hire an auction company to come in and evaluate/liquidate. Estate sales would be another option, for getting rid of anything you'd rather not move.

Me, I've been through too many moves. If it's not over $100 individually, it's not worth my time to sell. I'll occasionally list a 'lot' of like items if its a few hundred dollars, but generally I either trash or donate the items. It's hard at first, you get attached to things... but they're just things. The value you see is sentimental, not real... no one is going to pay you more just because you have fond memories associated.
This is true.

We moved recently. We used a rummage sale, eBay and Craigslist to sell.
eBay came out on top because we sold more valuable items, but ones that we could ship. Made about $3000.
Craigslist came in second, at about $300-$400
Rummage sale was last. We made about $80. Everyone wants a deal and is willing to pay only a few dollars or a few cents.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:48 PM

17,378 posts, read 3,537,755 times
otter, I ended up giving it all away, just to be done with it...couldn't face selling...kayak to the Boy Scouts, exercise machine and bike to the local adoption home etc.

Found a good charity and they were happy to receive the rest of my belongings and furniture.

What a relief, it's gone.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Sounds wonderful! But, being frugal, how did you reconcile it? One good thing: I've stopped bringing ANYTHING NEW into the house! Not worth the trouble of disposing of later.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:58 PM

17,378 posts, read 3,537,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Sounds wonderful! But, being frugal, how did you reconcile it? One good thing: I've stopped bringing ANYTHING NEW into the house! Not worth the trouble of disposing of later.

It bothered me a little for awhile... agree I could have made more effort. It just was so repellent, spending so much time selling when I needed to be packing to move!

Old 08-23-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It bothered me a little for awhile... agree I could have made more effort. It just was so repellent, spending so much time selling when I needed to be packing to move!
Yes; one of my problems is that it's not urgent. I donated and trashed a lot last move without regret simply because I had a deadline looming and wasn't taking it with me. Seemed worth it...then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or