U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:22 PM

16,702 posts, read 20,456,636 times

Advertisements

If she files a legal separation, might be able to get away from the husband's income. Not sure, but I'd look into that.

There is no crystal ball when budgeting this amount of money.

1) pay the rent so you aren't homeless
2) pay the electric bill so you have power
3) pay any other utilities you must, or have learned you can afford like cheap internet
4) pay for insurance, because you can't afford a big problem
5) put $200 in savings and hope you don't need to touch it
6) budget for the minimum gas you will need to spend
7) eat as cheaply as possible - hence food banks. Beans and rice are cheap and good for you. For fresh greens, get spinach instead of lettuce - good for you and a cheap option, and lasts longer in the fridge
8) buy new shoes when you need to, but at a discount store like Ross Dress for Less or Walmart

We can't know what unexpected needs you'll have each month. I can't tell you how much to put aside for shoes or a tune-up for your car, or new tires or an oil change, or if you will need to pay for AAA membership this month or car registration, or if you'll need to buy a birthday present, etc.

So, pay necessary bills. Put $200 in savings and then take whatever's left and divide it by 4 and try to live on that much each week. See if you can roll some over. Hopefully, you won't need to touch the $200. It's the kind of thing you'll need to figure out as you go. You may get to the end of the month and realize you shouldn't have splurged on the pizza from a pizza parlor or whatever. Or you should have bought the big bag of fresh spinach with the same money you spent on a tiny container of micro greens at Trader Joe's... Then, the next month you do it differently.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 12:23 PM

11,605 posts, read 5,449,768 times
You need a set amount put into savings, things come up.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:25 PM

74 posts, read 58,267 times
flyingsaucermom that is concrete.

Only handle cash week by week. Food first, then gas, then what is left for non-food, clothing, entertainment etc?

Yes I can do that. Cash in an envelope instead of debit card. Well, except for gas. But I could debit card it, and then pay myself back with the cash back into checking.

Ill look into Frugal Stepping Stones.

4 people on 250 a week? 62.50 a week to live! Where is your blog? I want to read about that!

Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 PM

Thankyou nomoresnowforme. Definately a priority how to spend.

Now this money is to live on. But unforseen car breakdowns and the like I can use savings to cover it. If I could save money Id like to do so every month. But I dont need to save. If that makes sense.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:50 PM

16,702 posts, read 20,456,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutty1 View Post
Thankyou nomoresnowforme. Definately a priority how to spend.

Now this money is to live on. But unforseen car breakdowns and the like I can use savings to cover it. If I could save money Id like to do so every month. But I dont need to save. If that makes sense.
No, actually it doesn't. It's irritating that you didn't say so before. But, if you use your savings and don't replenish it, that's not very smart.

So, why are you doing this? Is it some kind of rich people challenge or something? Like when famous actresses try to live on the food stamp allotment for a week and can't do it? Those are really entertaining for someone like me to watch. They go buy expensive luxury food items and than wonder why they can't stay within budget. You're just sounding like someone who hasn't ever had to do the math with regards to a budget or even ever had one.

Well, have fun.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No, actually it doesn't. It's irritating that you didn't say so before. But, if you use your savings and don't replenish it, that's not very smart.

So, why are you doing this? Is it some kind of rich people challenge or something? Like when famous actresses try to live on the food stamp allotment for a week and can't do it? Those are really entertaining for someone like me to watch. They go buy expensive luxury food items and than wonder why they can't stay within budget. You're just sounding like someone who hasn't ever had to do the math with regards to a budget or even ever had one.

Well, have fun.
Geez calm down.

I am still married. There is savings. We are "seperating." I've got a thousand to live on a month. An unplanned car repair is covered by our savings. I wont be touching it otherwise you see.

If we divorced Id still need to live on a tight budget and use my part of the savings from divorce for the unexpected.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:21 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,434,111 times
Where are you living with such a low rent?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:02 PM

I have two places I could live this low. I know the one very well. Where I am going is sight unseen. I'll tell HOW you can do it/find it so you can do it too.

Look where in the country you would live. What population are you comfortable with? Now look at these cities. How much crime will you tolerate? I wont accept over 375 (that is found on city data) Then you start investigating by average rent city data shows. Often it is pretty accurate. Sometimes waaay off. So I ignore anything over 700, and I try to go as low as possible

Then you go a researching apartments on the sites that show whats available now. You can really narrow down.

So safe cheap, bread and butter apartments, nothing fancy is what you are looking for. Make phone calls to nearby churches, to library, even grocers, ask real people about this or that apt or the actual management company. And local university? They are good for info.

375? Done.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:23 PM

16,466 posts, read 15,905,878 times
You have been married for 30 years. I am assuming that your husband will also be trying to live on $1,000 a month. Right?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:34 PM

No he will be living on much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living