U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:40 PM

11,611 posts, read 5,449,768 times

Advertisements

She agreed to live on 1K per month so it seems he will support her and this is the agreed upon amount. Like alimony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM

16,471 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You have been married for 30 years. I am assuming that your husband will also be trying to live on $1,000 a month. Right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutty1 View Post
No he will be living on much more.
Have you discussed this with a divorce attorney, financial consultant or just decided on $1,000 on your own?

$1,000 is not very much money. And, you are really at risk by not having enough money to pay for health insurance, even if your health is great, there could be an emergency like a trip and fall causing a broken bone or a dental problem. And, a car repair bill could really be a problem.

Obviously, no one here knows your specific situation or the reason for moving out and not filing for divorce, but, I would hate to see you make a huge mistake that will effect your divorce decree/settlement (by moving out of the family home and agreeing to live on a specific amount of money). Even an hour long, free consultation with a divorce attorney could bring up issues/problems/pit falls that you never considered in your wildest dreams.

Frankly, unless you are planning on living in a very small town, in a very low cost of living area, and/or having multiple room mates, $375, is extremely low for housing/trash/water. I live in an apartment and my electricity/heat is $125 to $150 a month (even higher in the winter). To have an electric bill of only $50 a month your apartment would probably need to be the size of a broom closet.

Can you live on $1,000, yes, you probably can do it if you have to do it. Many cities have food banks and soup kitchens for the homeless and poor families and other things like that to stretch your money. However, depending on your husband's financial situation, your health situation, your job situation, your extended family situation (do you have children and/or elderly parents that may need help or you may want to visit) the question is should you be living on $1,000 a month after 30 years of marriage?

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-27-2018 at 08:46 PM..

Old 08-27-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
To have electricity of only $50 your apartment would probably need to be the size of a broom closet.
Maybe heating costs are much higher where you are? In Texas, I pay $50/month on the 'conservation' plan with average billing. I don't really conserve very much. I keep a comfortable temperature. It just means under 1,000 KwH which is easy in 800 sq feet. Our summers are brutal with the a/c running all the time. Winters are mild.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 PM

16,471 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Maybe heating costs are much higher where you are? In Texas, I pay $50/month on the 'conservation' plan with average billing. I don't really conserve very much. I keep a comfortable temperature. It just means under 1,000 KwH which is easy in 800 sq feet. Our summers are brutal with the a/c running all the time. Winters are mild.
Wow, only $50 a month for electricity? I am stunned.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:53 PM

4,107 posts, read 3,444,432 times
You need an attorney & perhaps mediation if not court. Use some of your savings for legal counsel.

Even if you only legally separate, you will be entitled to maintenance income based upon what the total assets of the couple are & the total income of the couple. If your husband will be living on much more, this means the $1000 monthly deal is probably not a good deal for you. Any health insurance plans, pensions/retirement accounts, besides any property & investments all need be considered and your rightful share provided you. You could live another 40 years, do not make a bad business decision now.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, only $50 a month for electricity? I am stunned.
If you sign up for my electricity plan, we need to do that through the referal program- they pay both people $100.

It is low. Never had one this low in my life. But the way electricity bills are done here (N. Texas) is strange, one neighbor actually has to keep her apartment cooler than she wants in the summer. There is a surcharge for not using at least 1,000 KwH. I was like well, I get rewarded for staying under, which I do anyway using exactly how much I want to, on this plan. But they don't advertise it. I think I was complaining about my bill when it was offered to me by a phone rep. I get a lower price per KwH for staying under rather than surcharged. Adds up to a lot of savings.

Until about two years ago, I had thought getting it down to $90 on average was good. I thought it was really good, factoring in how high summer bills were. I was shocked too. Shocked and woo-hoo!

Old 08-28-2018, 06:51 PM

16,710 posts, read 20,456,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutty1 View Post
I have two places I could live this low. I know the one very well. Where I am going is sight unseen. I'll tell HOW you can do it/find it so you can do it too.

Look where in the country you would live. What population are you comfortable with? Now look at these cities. How much crime will you tolerate? I wont accept over 375 (that is found on city data) Then you start investigating by average rent city data shows. Often it is pretty accurate. Sometimes waaay off. So I ignore anything over 700, and I try to go as low as possible

Then you go a researching apartments on the sites that show whats available now. You can really narrow down.

So safe cheap, bread and butter apartments, nothing fancy is what you are looking for. Make phone calls to nearby churches, to library, even grocers, ask real people about this or that apt or the actual management company. And local university? They are good for info.

375? Done.
And yet, you supposedly have no idea how to manage $500/month. I think you are toying with us. Completely.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:52 PM

16,710 posts, read 20,456,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
She agreed to live on 1K per month so it seems he will support her and this is the agreed upon amount. Like alimony.
Yeah, and he still gives her access to a savings account.

If you'll buy that, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioPa1URjZ_Y

Old 08-28-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yeah, and he still gives her access to a savings account.

If you'll buy that, I've got some ocean front property in Arizona......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioPa1URjZ_Y
That's a good song! Hey, it's no skin off my nose to take posters at face value lacking a reason not to. the savings account may be hers, or things like that are part of the agreement. My ex didn't owe me ANYTHING, but we had an arrangement for reasons. Some could argue he owed it to me, IDK. It was what he felt was right, in any case, and I didn't try and take undue advantage.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:38 PM

292 posts, read 85,571 times
At $1000, if she's in a medicaid expansion state or is 65+, her healthcare is free.
That makes a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living