U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 09:44 PM

5,538 posts, read 4,380,948 times

Advertisements

find any food pantries around. Use them. The food will only be tossed out if people don't take it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 10:03 PM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh, and you can also get a free phone - the one people call the Obama phone. It's under the lifeline program. Under this program, you can choose between a free landline phone at your home, or a free cell phone. The cell phone I have under this program is through Assurance Wireless, which is under Virgin mobile. The phone was free and the service is free. It's not great, but hey, it's free. You can go to their website to see if they cover your area, or just google "lifeline cell phone" and your city to see which carriers in your area offer the lifeline phones.

https://www.assurancewireless.com/
What people call the Obama phone was started long before President Obama took office.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:13 PM

6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
Pnutty, you mentioned about a divorce. If you and your soon to be ex can tolerate each other, you can work out your own divorce with out lawyers. I have 2 step kids that have done it. All it cost was filing fee at the courthouse. Here in Kentucky, that was $75. All legal

Also with part of the $500 set for groceries, you should do fine. My wife and I buy our monthly groceries for less that $250. Of course we still have to go back for bread and a few things like that, but we don't spend much there. Our problem is eating out and pizza delivery. Watch the grocery ads. Giving an example for pricing around here, the Dollar General has 3 boxes of Kellogg's cereals for $6, and a 2 lb. bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts for $5.95. Buying in bulk like that, groceries could last quite a while.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:57 AM

27 posts, read 7,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagelLover View Post
Can I ask what state you live in?

I would factor in-

1. dental care. Cost of dentistry unless you get some of this provided at no cost.
Save up for an electric toothbrush. They do a MUCH BETTER job at cleaning your teeth.
2.Sign up for Food Stamps if you haven't already.
I factored in all of the deductions you listed (Used $300 for rent). You'd get around $150 a mo here in California, States vary.
3. Go to the Craigslist free section or put an add on there asking for free manure and a plastic kids pool.
put in on your balcony. Go buy potato starters. These are "eyes" cut from potatoes which grow into new potatoes. There is the initial investment but afterwards, you will have endless free potatoes for life. Bring these to church potlucks.
When we were very poor, this came in VERY HANDY. Especially for church potlucks. I spent $15 at the nursery buying the potato starters, they grew into new potatoes. We'd cut out the eyes of these new potatoes, leaving about 80% to boil then eat. Tossed the eyes back into the dirt. Eventually after 2-3 years you'll have more potatoes you can deal with. Trade them for things with the neighbors.
5. Use the food stamps to buy starter vegetable plants. These are fairly easy to grow. Buy the pay dirt and seeds at wallmart or some large store that takes food stamps.
6. walk or drive behind the stores each night for 2 weeks after halloween or other large holidays.

Longs & Rite Aid tossed out all of their old halloween costumes. We had a yard sale and sold them all to kids who like to play dress up for $1 each.
There is often a ton of candy, plants which are almost dead (you can bring back to live, decorations and such in the store trashes after Xmas. We made about $40 at our yard sale in 2 hrs. This could be illegal so need to weigh this risk out.
7. Go through the newspaper bins to get their coupons. Sign up for CVS cards and other store cards under a fake name.
8. Shop grocery Outlet if possible. That is our sole shopping store aside from local health food stores.
9. Ask any mom and pop owned stores, especially health food stores, for their old vegetables "so you can feed your chickens". Cut out the eyes of the potatoes and toss in free craigslist manure to re-grow potatoes,
Cut off brusies from the vegetables and stick the remaining vegetables in a juicer. When we were poor, we did this. We juice to this day but grow much of our own food. It provided us with about 6 ounces of vegetables which really made me feel better. We had no money otherwise to buy vegetables.

10. Have a monthly game night at your house for you and your neighbors. play scrabble or whatever.
11. Wash your clothes in your tub IF you water comes free with the rent. Then hang dry them. No laundrymat needed
12. Find volunteer opportunities that assist with "gas money". So you volunteer, then on your way back, stop off and run some errands. A friend delivered meals to seniors. She'd pass various cheaper stores running in to buy the sale items at each store. It helped with socialization and at times, she was allowed to take some food home. She also volunteered for thanksgiving dinner and other events.

Nice answer

Old 08-29-2018, 09:40 AM

16,476 posts, read 15,913,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSonya View Post
At $1000, if she's in a medicaid expansion state or is 65+, her healthcare is free.
That makes a big difference.
She is in her 50s and is still legally married to her husband who she says will be living on "substantially more per month" so she probably would not qualify for either type of health insurance.

But, a good point for others reading this thread.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:47 AM

4,216 posts, read 4,435,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutty1 View Post
I have two places I could live this low. I know the one very well. Where I am going is sight unseen. I'll tell HOW you can do it/find it so you can do it too.

Look where in the country you would live. What population are you comfortable with? Now look at these cities. How much crime will you tolerate? I wont accept over 375 (that is found on city data) Then you start investigating by average rent city data shows. Often it is pretty accurate. Sometimes waaay off. So I ignore anything over 700, and I try to go as low as possible

Then you go a researching apartments on the sites that show whats available now. You can really narrow down.

So safe cheap, bread and butter apartments, nothing fancy is what you are looking for. Make phone calls to nearby churches, to library, even grocers, ask real people about this or that apt or the actual management company. And local university? They are good for info.

375? Done.

At 375. where I live, I would be done.... and dead. from drive by shootings. can't imagine.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:24 PM

292 posts, read 85,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
She is in her 50s and is still legally married to her husband who she says will be living on "substantially more per month" so she probably would not qualify for either type of health insurance.

But, a good point for others reading this thread.
I assumed her budget was for when she is divorced. Which it sounds like, is inevitable

Old 08-29-2018, 04:36 PM

9,101 posts, read 3,923,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, only $50 a month for electricity? I am stunned.

I'm trying to wrap my head around that low rent. Unless one is renting a room from someone I didn't think there was a place in the USA with rent that low.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:31 AM

8,011 posts, read 22,505,069 times
Cost of food varies a lot on where you live. Hubby and I shop at Winco for all our household products, so not just food, but also toilet paper, toothpaste, batteries, etc. We average about $100/week. That's for 2 of us. Usually, we are around $80/week, but occasionally, we'll need everything at once and end up around $120. That's without any food pantries or food stamps or even coupon cutting. So an average of $50/person/week for all household goods and food without extra effort. We could probably get that down further if we spent time shopping around or cutting coupons.

And that's for good, healthy food. This week's shopping included apples, potatoes, spinach, acorn squash, grapes, strawberries and raspberries (I'm good at fruits, not so big into vegetables, it's a work in progress), along with the other things we usually buy, like ground beef, cheese, milk, bread, cereal, peanut butter, tunafish, etc. Total was something like $84. So about average for us.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:21 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Coupons! The way you eat, OP, IDK if they will help much with food, but there is all the non-fod stuff. When I used to 'super-coupon', I virtually never paid for anything related to personal care or house cleaning. On the coupon site if you pay 25 cents for a toothbrush, you paid too much! Brand names with coupons matched with sales, it's a bit of work, come out cheaper than generic or absolutely free.

Sometimes you get 'money back'. It's a store credit, but still. A memorable one was Adidas came out with a new anti-antiperspirant and gave $5 coupons in the paper. CVS had them priced at $5, and giving you $5 in 'CVS bucks' back.

So, I went and bought the APs with the coupons, making them free, and got paid a $5 store credit each for doing so.

Then you go buy milk and bread or whatever staples with your CVS credits, and now you're helping your food budget too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living