U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:29 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,346,132 times

Advertisements

Think about joining with a few like minded people and buy in bigger quantities to get better pricing.
Certain items will not lend themselves to bigger purchases. But some do, ie ramen noodles have a better unit price when bought by the case vs a 6 pack.
Currently, there is an excess of frozen vegetables. Frozen cut green beans are a bargain at 1.09/12 oz. The frozen food industry is undergoing an upheaval. Cherries this year also a bargain. Safeway and FredMeyer had them down to 1.99/pound, probably close to production cost. Apples will also be very cheap for 2018+. Implementation of retaliatory tariffs by are affecting USA's agricultural products badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,346,132 times
We used to give away a lot of fruits/vegetables from our home orchard-garden. We slow that down a lot and planted less and let a lot of fruit rot because, NO ONE, said thankyou, Can we help you on Next Year's crop?

Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 PM

16,729 posts, read 20,470,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Think about joining with a few like minded people and buy in bigger quantities to get better pricing.
Certain items will not lend themselves to bigger purchases. But some do, ie ramen noodles have a better unit price when bought by the case vs a 6 pack.
Currently, there is an excess of frozen vegetables. Frozen cut green beans are a bargain at 1.09/12 oz. The frozen food industry is undergoing an upheaval. Cherries this year also a bargain. Safeway and FredMeyer had them down to 1.99/pound, probably close to production cost. Apples will also be very cheap for 2018+. Implementation of retaliatory tariffs by are affecting USA's agricultural products badly.
I wish I had a freezer. I'm limited to the freezer above my fridge. So, I can a lot - mostly big batches of soup, so I always have a nice variety for a fast meal. The best deal on canned green beans is Costco for me. Works out to around 50 cents per can by the case. Both my dog and I eat them :-) Costco also has an awesome Asian frozen stir fry veggie mix that even includes water chestnuts. The next best frozen Asian stir fry mix is Walmart's which is cheaper, but not as deluxe.

If you also always check the Grocery Outlet flyers, or get on their email list, you can get some amazing bargains. They had some vegetable pot stickers (I'm forgetting the brand) for only $1.50/package of around 20 potstickers. I throw 6 of them into a pot of soup with the Asian veggie mix, to make a quick won ton soup.

If you do eat meat (I feed it to my dog), check the Mexican market sales. I got some chicken drumsticks for only 79 cents/pound at our local Cardenas Mexican market. They will also often have really good deals on Mexican squash and different peppers, as well as Masa flour (for making tortillas), beans, etc.

You can also get some real bargains at the Dollar Tree. Good place to buy hot sauce and the one close to me usually has huge cans of jalapeno peppers for only $1.00.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
We used to give away a lot of fruits/vegetables from our home orchard-garden. We slow that down a lot and planted less and let a lot of fruit rot because, NO ONE, said thankyou, Can we help you on Next Year's crop?
LOL, who will help me eat the bread? Remember the little red hen?

Not many people plant fruit trees anymore, it seems. You can only eat so much and it can be a pain to clean up the fruit and take care of the trees, as you say.

A lot of people do take extra fruit to the food bank here, too.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:09 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you do eat meat (I feed it to my dog), check the Mexican market sales. I got some chicken drumsticks for only 79 cents/pound at our local Cardenas Mexican market. They will also often have really good deals on Mexican squash and different peppers, as well as Masa flour (for making tortillas), beans, etc.
Our local Hispanic grocery store always has really good deals on produce, too, and it's usually fresher than what is in the bigger grocery stores...and even the farmer's market.

You can probably get dark meat chicken for your dog for cheaper than .79/lb, though. Look out for sale prices on chicken leg quarters. .79/lb is usually the highest price I see. It's often .59/lb and sometimes as low as .39/lb when I watch the sales ads. That's only if you're willing/able to buy a 10lb bag at once, though.

ETA: I know we live in a different area, so prices definitely vary, but I still always find chicken leg quarters to be cheaper than drumsticks or thighs.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:39 PM

974 posts, read 425,099 times
Quote:
If you wanted/needed people to help you, you just should have suggested it instead of resenting that they didn't offer. I am guessing it just never even occurred to them.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Our local Hispanic grocery store always has really good deals on produce, too, and it's usually fresher than what is in the bigger grocery stores...and even the farmer's market.

You can probably get dark meat chicken for your dog for cheaper than .79/lb, though. Look out for sale prices on chicken leg quarters. .79/lb is usually the highest price I see. It's often .59/lb and sometimes as low as .39/lb when I watch the sales ads. That's only if you're willing/able to buy a 10lb bag at once, though.

ETA: I know we live in a different area, so prices definitely vary, but I still always find chicken leg quarters to be cheaper than drumsticks or thighs.
I couldn't rep you again. Thanks! I'll look out for thighs. The leg quarters are too big for her to eat for one meal, and I'm too lazy/afraid to cut them LOL. I seem to also draw my own blood somehow whenever I try to cut pieces of meat like that. I'm not safe with a large knife in my own hand.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:20 PM

404 posts, read 344,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I completely disagree that a vegan diet is boring.

Today, I had a homemade black bean soup for breakfast that was delicious and also really cheap to make. I make large batches of soup and can it. So, open a jar, pour into bowl, stick in microwave - enjoy.

For lunch, I went out for a picnic with friends, and we were all bringing our own lunches. Mine was made with whole wheat wraps, which I bought at Sprouts, and the filling was avocado and tomatoes and salad greens and salt. Delicious, low calorie, easy and healthy.

For dinner, I had whole wheat pasta and a tomato based pasta sauce.

For snacks, I had homemade hummus and Wasa whole wheat crackers.

This type of diet is super healthy, super cheap and in my opinion, not boring whatsoever.

Oh, and I also went to an Italian coffee shop with an Italian friend today and had an espresso with raw sugar.

This lifestyle is not boring. And if once in a while you blow it, it's not a huge deal. But, it's not hard to live within your budget and be healthy - and not be bored. In my experience.

Of course, you have to define "boring." If boring means cheese and meat and oil and rare veggies - then sure, it can be expensive.

But, even if you use oil (which I very rarely use), you can buy a nice jar of virgin olive oil for pretty cheap that will last you for months. Chop up a bunch of onions, throw in some garlic, chop up some tomatoes or use canned tomatoes, you can even buy fresh basil (although basil is also really easy to grow under grow lights, like me indoors), etc.

I also like Chinese won ton soup. Easy and cheap. Start with water, add soy sauce, add powdered ginger (if you don't have fresh), maybe some powdered curry spice, chop up some Chinese cabbage (baby bok choy is best), or just some frozen veggies, throw in some frozen pot stickers or won tons, add some fresh green onions, if you have some - voila! excellent soup for pennies.

There are lots of ethnic recipes that are really cheap to make. It just requires some research.

I am actually really happy to eat a pretty simple diet. Salad, homemade soup, crackers, hummus, etc. I don't feel deprived. So, it's really just a mindset. You can either decide it's too hard to do - or - you can decide you're going to do it no matter what - and work within those parameters to find ways to enjoy living within a budget.
I agree completely. I'm liking vegan recipes better and finding such fun things to make. Here's one example and it's heart healthy, which is great for my husband who has heart disease. We loved this soup. I usually modify recipes a bit for our preferences. In this recipe, I used potatoes instead of cauliflower. It was so good. The contrast of flavors between the spicy soup and mild potatoes was great. We had a salad with this and it was really filling. We had enough for two dinners and a lunch.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/recipes/23...ashed-potatoes

Old 09-14-2018, 04:15 AM

4,736 posts, read 5,938,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post
I'm trying to become vegan on a budget. Is it possible to be a vegan on a $120 a month budget?
A number of great suggestions and recipes have already been offered, but I'll still throw this out there.

Try Dr. McDougall's website for tons of plant-based recipes:
McDougall Recipes
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/e...ugall-recipes/

Also, check Dr. McDougall's Budget Friendly Meals section:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/mcdougall-recipes/?cat-id=23&cat-name=Budget+Friendly+Meals

Chef AJ has a video where she goes shopping and mentions the stores which offer the best prices for produce/ items she commonly uses:
Chef AJ Goes Grocery Shopping!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgn80nlEN_0

Old 09-14-2018, 10:18 AM

974 posts, read 425,099 times
If you have an Aldi's near you, they are a great source for inexpensive prices on seasonal organic produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or