U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 01:52 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,471,806 times

Advertisements

I want to buy a second chest freezer, to hold frozen dinners. When the frozen dinners are on sale for $1.88, you can't buy too many of them. More than a few times I have come home after a sale and had to take them all out of the boxes to make enough room in the freezer for them. Which just doesn't work well. As an added benefit once I get the second one, I'll be able to defrost one while I'm using the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 07:28 AM

977 posts, read 817,253 times
Yes. Having extra freezer space when you have a family is the best. Iíll pay extra on my electric bill to have stockpile on freezer meals, breads, and so forth.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:49 AM

34,541 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Even though there are only 2 of us, we still have an almost full freezer in the garage. The bottom drawer freezer in the kitchen is quite large, but not really large enough if we have a turkey, or boxes of frozen foods.

I buy meats on sale and lots of frozen vegetables too. Without the extra freezer, I couldn’t shop for more than a week at a time.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:43 AM

2,608 posts, read 1,113,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Your electric costs are going to be different from most who reply, I think your power costs will be quite a bit higher than most in the US.

I am not certain about that, but you need to figure it into your calculations.

We have a small 5 or so ft3 freezer in the basement, mostly full of meat got at a discount. It's not real convenient, but it probably saves us some money. But our power costs in the PNW are quite low.
Electric here is the same as the U.S.---14 kw. Our monthly bill is about $80 running one a/c unit (we have 3 split units---a great system).

I would get a small freezer---5 to 7 cubic feet. In our freezer now, we have blocks of blue ice which help in case of power outage. If I had an extra freezer, I'd put in a plastic gallon jug of ice for that reason.

I forgot about labeling---that's really wise.

It sucks they don't have energy-star ratings here; but an expat is selling one they shipped over from the U.S. so that's a good opportunity.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 PM

909 posts, read 505,298 times
I have a freezer in my storage building attached to my house. Great for when I stock up on good deals.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:20 PM

1,050 posts, read 585,504 times
We have a 5 cu ft chest freezer. I think chest freezers are more efficient. Power outage are uncommon or short in duration. The freezer fits nicely in a space in the laundry room just a few steps from the kitchen. I try to put large or long items on end in the bottom. like ready to heat frozen barbecue ribs & slabs of bacon, Stouffers lasagna & stuffed peppers. There is bags of frozen tilapia & salmon, roasts, bags of vegies, pulled pork I make and put in little one serving bags, beef hotdogs, frozen fries and chicken parts, ice cream, frozen soup, ice packs & a bag of ice in there. We often take a cooler & ice grocery shopping so we don't have to come straight home with the cold stuff. There's nothing in there we didn't buy on sale.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:30 PM

4,376 posts, read 2,426,594 times
When we lived "up nawth", we had a large freezer out in a detached garage. There were times when it was colder outside the freezer than inside it.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:02 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
When we lived "up nawth", we had a large freezer out in a detached garage. There were times when it was colder outside the freezer than inside it.
Ah, yes. The time of year when the garage is called "the big refrigerator" and big pots of things are left out there overnight to cool. It's a great place to cool a pan of fudge until it sets.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Ah, yes. The time of year when the garage is called "the big refrigerator" and big pots of things are left out there overnight to cool. It's a great place to cool a pan of fudge until it sets.
It will 'set' alright.

When it is -20F and the wind is blowing, anything we set in our carport will be frozen rock hard by morning.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Electric here is the same as the U.S.---14 kw. Our monthly bill is about $80 running one a/c unit (we have 3 split units---a great system).

I would get a small freezer---5 to 7 cubic feet. In our freezer now, we have blocks of blue ice which help in case of power outage. If I had an extra freezer, I'd put in a plastic gallon jug of ice for that reason.

I forgot about labeling---that's really wise.

It sucks they don't have energy-star ratings here; but an expat is selling one they shipped over from the U.S. so that's a good opportunity.

If you are saying 14 cents per kWh, that's quite high. Where I am, it's about half that.

Many "tropical paradise" places generate most of their electric power with Diesel driven generators - like a Honda generator, just bigger. They are expensive to operate compared to combined cycle gas, particularly hydro, or even nuclear (although nuclear costs a mint to build, initially). The Bahama Islands are dependent on Diesel generators.

That said, $80 per month is not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or