U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2018, 09:07 AM
 
Location: equator
2,609 posts, read 1,114,900 times
Reputation: 6349

Advertisements

I tried this while we were long-term horse camping in central CA---does the "Ishi" wilderness ring a bell to anyone? I knew they were a staple of the Native Americans so I was curious about it. My survival book had instructions. I smashed them with a hammer, boiled them quite awhile to get rid of the tannins. When dried, I added them to pancakes, bread and so forth and they were quite tasty.

We also ate young cattail roots which were really good too. As well as several wild young greens for salads.

Any of you doing any of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2018, 10:31 AM
 
1,343 posts, read 1,231,791 times
Reputation: 9670
I don't think I would consider eating acorns. I would be concerned about depriving a squirrel family of its winter provisions and they would starve. That would make me sad, and it would weigh on my conscience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 06:36 AM
 
Location: The analog world
15,599 posts, read 8,749,121 times
Reputation: 20930
Once, years ago, at Girl Scout camp during a demonstration by a local Native Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 AM
 
4,220 posts, read 4,437,218 times
Reputation: 9293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
I don't think I would consider eating acorns. I would be concerned about depriving a squirrel family of its winter provisions and they would starve. That would make me sad, and it would weigh on my conscience.


Yes, leave the acorns for the squirrels!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 09:23 AM
 
Location: WA
5,293 posts, read 20,705,220 times
Reputation: 5622
I have a large red oak that produces too many acorns; and we live adjacent to a green belt home to many squirrels. My observation is that acorns are not the squirrel favorite so they sample but drop most (maybe there is something else in the area they prefer). I would like to find a way to discourage acorn production to clean up the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 09:27 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Reputation: 57229
In the Outlander books they made a coffee substitute from acorns. Not sure the process, but I presume they are roasted and brewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Central IL
13,363 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Reputation: 31079
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I have a large red oak that produces too many acorns; and we live adjacent to a green belt home to many squirrels. My observation is that acorns are not the squirrel favorite so they sample but drop most (maybe there is something else in the area they prefer). I would like to find a way to discourage acorn production to clean up the yard.
I think white oaks have acorns with lower tannins so they prefer those if they can get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:17 PM
 
Location: equator
2,609 posts, read 1,114,900 times
Reputation: 6349
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, leave the acorns for the squirrels!!
Pretty sure Native Americans and squirrels co-existed successfully.

This tree had them over a foot deep at the base. Thousands.....enough to share, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
16,736 posts, read 20,490,725 times
Reputation: 30733
No, I haven't. But, I learned in a CA history class that they were a very important part of the Native Californians' diets. Very interesting post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Reputation: 21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I tried this while we were long-term horse camping in central CA---does the "Ishi" wilderness ring a bell to anyone? I knew they were a staple of the Native Americans so I was curious about it. My survival book had instructions. I smashed them with a hammer, boiled them quite awhile to get rid of the tannins. When dried, I added them to pancakes, bread and so forth and they were quite tasty.

We also ate young cattail roots which were really good too. As well as several wild young greens for salads.

Any of you doing any of this?
When I was in the 4th grade our teacher had us make acorn mush. We gathered the acorns and then shelled and ground them on a metate or morter. We leached the ground acorns in a hole lined with grass and cooked the meal over an open fire.

It tasted really bad, but it was a very fun learning experience. I can't say that I would ever eat acorns if there was anything else available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top