Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:54 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times

Advertisements

Being frugal by nature and training is one thing.

Assuming a mantle of frugal living and going cheap on a few things amid your $1M house or condo lifestyle is another.

Going on and on about how frugal you are is effin' annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 05:40 PM

512 posts, read 320,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It's just an outside opinion piece, but this column appeared in today's NY Times -
That she calls it cult is precisely on target, I think. As much as frugalism or minimalism or couponing or other "money saving" practices are largely useless, self-deceptive and faddish, the idea that a family can just jump into "being frugal" and stay there is pretty much nonsense - on a par with most fad diets or even truly eating sensibly as a family.

Whatever benefits spending less might bring, it's not a solution unless it's coupled with real reduction in buying unneeded and unnecessary goods. Getting junk on sale is not a positive step.

I have never seen being frugal as a fad, and I don't know about others, but I have always perceived and engaged in frugalism as an overall lifestyle change that MOST CERTAINLY inlcudes not buying crap one does not need.

And to go even further, to be truly frugal in a way that has lasting benefits, one has to unpack and unlearn what society teaches us about "needs." We were born in a consumerist, capitalistic system, and therefore, it socializes into deeply believing that things like smartphones, a new car every 4 years, and a big house are needs, when in reality they are wants.
When we unpack those things, we start being happy with the things that we truly need to live.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:50 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,153 times
Frugality most certainly is not a fad. Frugality as a "cool thing to do" is a fad.

Kinda like how living in a tiny house is a fad. Living in a small (and often portable or semi-portable) home is certainly not anything new.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:10 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I did not realize that there was a worldview out there form which 'frugalism' could be seen as a 'fad'.

My grandparents were very frugal, my parents were very frugal. In my life I have known many people who spend freely and in my opinion without regard for a budget.

When I think of how much my salary was when we had five children living at home, I can see other posters in this forum who could not support themselves on the same level of income. Surely you would think that one person living by him/herself should be able to exist on the income that it takes to support five? But no. The difference is how frugal a person is.

I only see it as a lifestyle, not a fad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Frugality most certainly is not a fad. Frugality as a "cool thing to do" is a fad.

Kinda like how living in a tiny house is a fad. Living in a small (and often portable or semi-portable) home is certainly not anything new.
Yeah, I think that minimalism is something of a fad, as evidenced by the tiny house (fad.). Dude, it’s called a travel trailer...or cabin...

But I don’t see minimalism as being that closely tied with frugality. Minimalism is a philosophy; frugality is implemented practice.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:25 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Having served on subs for 20 years [where personal space is rather minimal], I have no desire to live minimalist today. We settled in a low COL area so my pension can stretch further. As a result we live in a large house [4900 sq ft footprint].

If you can do better on $1600/month I am all ears.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:11 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It's just an outside opinion piece, but this column appeared in today's NY Times -
That she calls it cult is precisely on target, I think. As much as frugalism or minimalism or couponing or other "money saving" practices are largely useless, self-deceptive and faddish, the idea that a family can just jump into "being frugal" and stay there is pretty much nonsense - on a par with most fad diets or even truly eating sensibly as a family.

Whatever benefits spending less might bring, it's not a solution unless it's coupled with real reduction in buying unneeded and unnecessary goods. Getting junk on sale is not a positive step.
I was a minimalist long before it was cool to be a minimalist.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:57 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Dude, it’s called a travel trailer...or cabin...
Yeah...people have lived in mobile homes, RVs, cabins and very small houses for many years...often out of financial necessity. And for many years, they have been seen as "trailer trash," "poor," "hillbilly" or whatever.

But tiny houses are sooooo cool. *eyeroll*

Old 09-22-2018, 09:28 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
I have never seen being frugal as a fad, and I don't know about others, but I have always perceived and engaged in frugalism as an overall lifestyle change that MOST CERTAINLY inlcudes not buying crap one does not need.

And to go even further, to be truly frugal in a way that has lasting benefits, one has to unpack and unlearn what society teaches us about "needs." We were born in a consumerist, capitalistic system, and therefore, it socializes into deeply believing that things like smartphones, a new car every 4 years, and a big house are needs, when in reality they are wants.
When we unpack those things, we start being happy with the things that we truly need to live.
Although you might not, most people’s access to the internet is done via smartphones. I do everything on my smart phone, including moderate a forum, my banking, paying taxes, monitoring my investments, and run a business.

Property managers don’t want phone calls on broken things, they want photographs, the more the better. They need to be able to get hold of you immediately for emergencies, to take those pics. I might have to go to properties I don’t work for emergency, and I can get their via maps on my phone.

Almost all vendors I run into view a smart phone as a lifeline to their business. My hairdresser and my plumber and electrician use their smart phones to take payments, via Square.

A smart phone is for many people a necessity.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-worldwide/

Old 09-22-2018, 09:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
I can't read the article unless I pay to join.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:59 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,338 times
The privilege of interpreting poverty as a fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living