U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 10:32 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,816,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Although you might not, most peopleís access to the internet is done via smartphones. I do everything on my smart phone, including moderate a forum, my banking, paying taxes, monitoring my investments, and run a business.

Property managers donít want phone calls on broken things, they want photographs, the more the better. They need to be able to get hold of you immediately for emergencies, to take those pics. I might have to go to properties I donít work for emergency, and I can get their via maps on my phone.

Almost all vendors I run into view a smart phone as a lifeline to their business. My hairdresser and my plumber and electrician use their smart phones to take payments, via Square.

A smart phone is for many people a necessity.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-worldwide/
Yeah. A smartphone is becoming more of a necessity nowadays. Not for everyone, but for a lot of people.

Of course, that doesn't mean you necessarily have to have the newest iPhone.

I use my smartphone for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 10:49 AM

248 posts, read 101,136 times
Meh. As technology advances and companies realize that this or that can make them millions upon million of dollars, a consumerist society adjust itself to acommodate all these wants and "turn" them into needs. I still don't buy that many people "need" smartphones, but I do believe that many of us certainly find them so comfortable that we reach a point at which we don't even want to look at the alternatives and we utterly, sincerely believe that we cannot possibly live without them. To me, smartphones will always be 'wants' that wear the most crafty, gorgeous, expensive-looking 'need' costumes.
To each their own, I guess.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:38 PM

11,437 posts, read 19,459,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Yeah. A smartphone is becoming more of a necessity nowadays. Not for everyone, but for a lot of people.

Of course, that doesn't mean you necessarily have to have the newest iPhone.

I use my smartphone for everything.
My iPhone 6 is going to be replaced with the XR next month. Itís acting up, not responsive a lot, crashing daily...and five years old. My laptop croaked dead at three. And I got the iPhone to help the cheap laptop last a little longer.

And I love the idea of Qi charging. The new car will have that. No more cords.

Doesnít that sound the opposite of frugal? Well, hubby had a seizure while driving last week, totaled his truck and isnít driving right now. At the same time, my clutch went, so we were in a rental that had all that stuff new cars have and frankly, wow. Life was pretty nice. Also city driving with a clutch isnít easy for me. I donít like city driving as it is.

So we have to deal sending his truck to salvage, and when he will be able to drive again, and he will take over my old car, and I get the new one.

Right now, I like driving and working with him. Like keeping my eye on my sweet baboo.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
My iPhone 6 is going to be replaced with the XR next month. Itís acting up, not responsive a lot, crashing daily...and five years old. My laptop croaked dead at three. And I got the iPhone to help the cheap laptop last a little longer.

And I love the idea of Qi charging. The new car will have that. No more cords.

Doesnít that sound the opposite of frugal? Well, hubby had a seizure while driving last week, totaled his truck and isnít driving right now. At the same time, my clutch went, so we were in a rental that had all that stuff new cars have and frankly, wow. Life was pretty nice. Also city driving with a clutch isnít easy for me. I donít like city driving as it is.

So we have to deal sending his truck to salvage, and when he will be able to drive again, and he will take over my old car, and I get the new one.

Right now, I like driving and working with him. Like keeping my eye on my sweet baboo.
I'm right there with you, but I'm an Android girl. I have the Samsung Galaxy S6, and it's getting to the point where it's not holding a charge well at all. It freezes up from time to time, too. I might upgrade to the Galaxy S9 if I can find a good deal on it.

I don't blame you on wanting to get a new car. I'm probably going to keep my 2013 for another two years or so, barring a wreck or something. My next car will probably be a one-year-old very gently used car. That's what this one was. I like it because it's much cheaper than a brand new car, but you still get a lot of the modern bells and whistles...although perhaps not all of them.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I'm right there with you, but I'm an Android girl. I have the Samsung Galaxy S6, and it's getting to the point where it's not holding a charge well at all. It freezes up from time to time, too. I might upgrade to the Galaxy S9 if I can find a good deal on it.

I don't blame you on wanting to get a new car. I'm probably going to keep my 2013 for another two years or so, barring a wreck or something. My next car will probably be a one-year-old very gently used car. That's what this one was. I like it because it's much cheaper than a brand new car, but you still get a lot of the modern bells and whistles...although perhaps not all of them.
My Toyota Matrix is a 2004, bought in June 2003. Love the practicality of it. We own and operate a Janitorial business, so we traipse around with vacuum cleaners and a mop and cleaning supplies. The next car will be a Kia Niro, about the same size, and hybrid with great gas mileage. The rental was a Nissan Rogue and that gas mileage was awful. We averaged 11 miles to the gallon. We go from property to property that may only be a few miles apart, but 20 minutes driving, stop and go and creep and beep

We need a hybrid, better for that kind of driving.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
My Toyota Matrix is a 2004, bought in June 2003. Love the practicality of it. We own and operate a Janitorial business, so we traipse around with vacuum cleaners and a mop and cleaning supplies. The next car will be a Kia Niro, about the same size, and hybrid with great gas mileage. The rental was a Nissan Rogue and that gas mileage was awful. We averaged 11 miles to the gallon. We go from property to property that may only be a few miles apart, but 20 minutes driving, stop and go and creep and beep

We need a hybrid, better for that kind of driving.
I love Korean-made cars. They weren't the best in the past (I had a 2002 Kia Rio that was a lemon from the day I got it, and I've heard similar stories about cars from around the same time), but they have really bumped up their game.

I had a 2014 Kia Forte that I LOVED. The first and only brand new car I've ever owned. It came with all the bells and whistles and was just over $20,000. I loved it so much, but it was totaled.

After that, I bought my current car, a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. It was a year old (well, a model year old, so almost two years old, I guess) when I bought it and had 15k miles on it. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that my Kia Forte had, but it's been a really great car.

We do a lot of long-distance traveling in it, so it has 155k miles on it now, which is why I say I'll probably only have it for another two years or so. Once it gets over 200k miles, I'll probably want something newer for the reliability, and I won't want to spend a lot of money on repairs on a car that's so "old." (perhaps not in years but in miles).

I bet you'll love the Kia Niro. Kias and Hyundais are great. You can get a nice car with all of the bells and whistles (have I used that term enough in this post yet?) for a very affordable price, even when you buy new. Going a year or so old will make it even cheaper. They have long warranties, too.

My husband has an '02 Toyota Tundra. I love that it doesn't have a payment, and it's great for hauling things and doing horse stuff. It's a gas guzzler, though. When I buy another car, we'll probably keep the Elantra for husband to drive around town and use my new car for longer distances. I doubt we'll get much for the Elantra by then, anyway, but I know it's been well-maintained and has been a good car. Then, we'll just keep the Toyota for hauling and horse stuff, since it's really not economical for driving too much.

I think my next car will be another Kia Forte or perhaps even a Kia Rio.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I love Korean-made cars. They weren't the best in the past (I had a 2002 Kia Rio that was a lemon from the day I got it, and I've heard similar stories about cars from around the same time), but they have really bumped up their game.

I had a 2014 Kia Forte that I LOVED. The first and only brand new car I've ever owned. It came with all the bells and whistles and was just over $20,000. I loved it so much, but it was totaled.

After that, I bought my current car, a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. It was a year old (well, a model year old, so almost two years old, I guess) when I bought it and had 15k miles on it. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that my Kia Forte had, but it's been a really great car.

We do a lot of long-distance traveling in it, so it has 155k miles on it now, which is why I say I'll probably only have it for another two years or so. Once it gets over 200k miles, I'll probably want something newer for the reliability, and I won't want to spend a lot of money on repairs on a car that's so "old." (perhaps not in years but in miles).

I bet you'll love the Kia Niro. Kias and Hyundais are great. You can get a nice car with all of the bells and whistles (have I used that term enough in this post yet?) for a very affordable price, even when you buy new. Going a year or so old will make it even cheaper. They have long warranties, too.

My husband has an '02 Toyota Tundra. I love that it doesn't have a payment, and it's great for hauling things and doing horse stuff. It's a gas guzzler, though. When I buy another car, we'll probably keep the Elantra for husband to drive around town and use my new car for longer distances. I doubt we'll get much for the Elantra by then, anyway, but I know it's been well-maintained and has been a good car. Then, we'll just keep the Toyota for hauling and horse stuff, since it's really not economical for driving too much.

I think my next car will be another Kia Forte or perhaps even a Kia Rio.
Hubs truck was a 2002 Toyota Tacoma. When we started the business we hauled. We donít really haul anymore, and if people want us to haul their old furniture, we refer them to 1-800-got junk. When heís cleared to drive, heíll love the Matrix.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:58 PM

16,783 posts, read 20,561,439 times
I didn't see the article as offensive in any way. It basically promotes the idea that you can save or otherwise achieve your goals if you cut back on your budget, including making soup, etc., to eat at home.

I know young people who have been able to buy homes in the SF Bay Area, precisely because they budgeted frugally -- while their friends were more interested in keeping up appearances and spending all of their money on expensive clothing, bags and paying high rent to be in the most desirable neighborhoods.

This isn't anything new. It's an age-old precept - spend less, delay gratification, to get what you want.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:09 AM

24,756 posts, read 26,824,957 times
Uggh. Please don't link to articles with paywalls!

Old 09-24-2018, 12:17 AM

24,756 posts, read 26,824,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, she lives in NYC, which pretty much means she wouldn't know the first thing about frugality, right there. Might as well be Mars, in comparison to how we live out here in the "real world" parts of the country.
In all fairness to New Yorkers, they could teach a lot to other Americans about how to live well in smaller living spaces.

There's one poster here on CD, who shall remain nameless, who likes to beat the drum that the average American can't save much and often cites some of his difficult experiences (as well as mistakes he made) after college. Yet this single guy lived in a 2BR apartment and now, I believe, lives in a single family home all by himself. It's ridiculous what some people expect in terms of living space. Fine if you can easily afford it, but not good if you're still paying off consumer debt and skimping on your 401k just so you can have an apartment with an extra bedroom.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-24-2018 at 12:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or