U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2018, 03:22 PM
 
20,417 posts, read 26,539,344 times
Reputation: 13111

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I never even said that lol I said it’s cheaper to eat a $5 Subway than to buy all of the ingredients for a sandwich at the store because you can’t do that, you literally will spend WAY more than that! Even a good loaf of bread is $4.69 or something crazy. Yeah, that’s frugal lol. So it’s true if you buy every ingredient at the store and eat the exact same sandwich for 5 days in a row you’ll save money because you could get the ingredients for maybe $15 at the store, maybe. Let’s not include mustard and whatnot though. But since most people don’t want to eat the same crap every single day that’s a horrible way to be frugal.

Just in general when people start talking about $5 for a meal being expensive I tune them out, they’re obviously incredibly poor and I feel sorry for them, but it’s so laughable I enjoyed telling a few people about this anecdote and they looked at me like I must be talking to the crazies on the Internet again. Some people here live in a different world, and I feel for them, wish them the best. If I ever think $5 is a lot for a meal I’ll lmow I’ve hit rock bottom that’s for sure.
In the short run, it's certainly cheaper to get the Subway sandwich than it is to go to the store and buy the ingredients, but that's not how it works in the long run. Basic sandwich ingredients can be used in a variety of ways. Tomatoes can be used in salads, cheese and meat in omelets, the bread in French toast -- see what I mean? It's not all about eating the same sandwich over and over. It's about long term savings (as well as probably getting better nutrition), and I'm surprised such a wildly successful businessman such as you claim to be doesn't get that.

I think people here understand that you don't care to spend your time in the kitchen, and you make a point of saying in almost every post that you have more money than most, so the only real conclusion is that you're in this and similar conversations for the purpose of shaming others and trying to build yourself up. Why would you want to do that? It's not a good look.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-28-2018 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2018, 11:47 PM
 
9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Reputation: 13377
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
That's true, but people in either scenario can benefit from some of the information on this forum.

If two people are looking for information on cutting their grocery bill down, for example, it doesn't really matter if they're doing it because they're broke or because they'd just prefer to minimize their expenses. They can still find use in much of the same information.

Someone who thinks cooking is a waste of time, however, might not find use in the same information and might not be able to share any helpful information.

I feel like that is what we are encountering here.
but cooking your own food and being frugal isnt about saving money. being frugal, i can still buy expensive ingredients and all that, the frugal part is not over doing it. not about saving money in the process

at least frugal to me wasnt about the monetary saves but more the not overuse of something. IE dont overuse eating out or something. i can cook at home and eat lobster and ribeye steaks everyday, my costs will be high even if i am "frugal" in cooking it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2018, 01:03 AM
 
Location: The World
3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
Reputation: 7773
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
but cooking your own food and being frugal isnt about saving money. being frugal, i can still buy expensive ingredients and all that, the frugal part is not over doing it. not about saving money in the process

at least frugal to me wasnt about the monetary saves but more the not overuse of something. IE dont overuse eating out or something. i can cook at home and eat lobster and ribeye steaks everyday, my costs will be high even if i am "frugal" in cooking it
Well, considering the definition of "frugal," I would think that saving money is at least part of the equation. Spending the least amount of money possible isn't necessarily the definition, though.

Quote:
fru·gal
ˈfro͞oɡəl/Submit
adjective
sparing or economical with regard to money or food.
"he led a remarkably frugal existence"
synonyms: thrifty, economical, careful, cautious, prudent, provident, unwasteful, sparing, scrimping; More
simple and plain and costing little.
"a frugal meal"
That said...that information would probably still be useful here...because yes, some people are just trying to trim their budget even if it's not actually a necessity. But even those who can't afford much might be looking for helpful tips for "splurging" without spending a lot of money. Again, both could probably benefit from tips on how to make great steaks at home for a reasonable price.

In fact, some of JonathanLB's comments about $5 subs at Subway aren't necessarily unhelpful. Even though $5 for one person for one meal isn't considered by many to be incredibly frugal, I think most here can agree that it's still a pretty good deal for a meal out. A thread here about "Ways to eat out on the cheap" with tips like that, or restaurants that often have coupons or good "2 for $20" deals or happy hours or early bird specials or whatever, would probably be helpful for many.

After all, many who are living a more frugal lifestyle (whether out of choice, necessity or somewhere in-between) may find themselves eating out, whether they have to because of work, because they want to for an affordable date night or whatever. Geez, people who are trying to live frugally -- and even poor people -- aren't lepers. They're the people you work with and see every day.

What ISN'T helpful is a certain attitude and certain comments on this thread. I won't point them out because I don't think it's necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2018, 01:09 AM
 
Location: The World
3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
Reputation: 7773
Most of all, though, I suppose I don't really understand just how out of touch a person has to be to not understand why others might need or want to minimize their spending.

And I especially don't understand why those individuals would want to hang out on the "Frugal Living" forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2018, 08:09 AM
 
9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Reputation: 13377
i dont think people are out of touch... nor do i think they shouldnt be in the frugal section...

they might not want the cheapest possible option, frugal isnt an definition of cheapness

part of the reason i disagree with mmm's forum is they take being frugal to the extreme with the sole purpose of saving money. but they at least recognize that spending money on good quality tools will be save more money in the long run than cheap tools.

on here, i see people saying sometimes, you have to spend money to be able to save it in the long run, ie invest in your future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2018, 09:26 AM
 
4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
Reputation: 5521
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I'm right there with you, but I'm an Android girl. I have the Samsung Galaxy S6, and it's getting to the point where it's not holding a charge well at all. It freezes up from time to time, too. I might upgrade to the Galaxy S9 if I can find a good deal on it.

Have you considered a Motorola? I used to be a Samsung person---until my husband cracked my screen and I had to get a new phone. I found an "older" version of a Moto Z Play was for sale and I got it for $110. I will NOT go back to Samsung. Still Android. Practically no bloatware. Battery is fantastic. Hardly have any issues with it. It is so underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2018, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
2,966 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Think there is a difference in the frugal-minimal and frugal-cheap people...

The frugal-cheap aren't minimal but they can't afford more, the minimal people are frugal because they don't want more but can afford it otherwise
You can make the distinction, but I don't see what difference it makes in the end. Spending a limited or set amount on a living expense is much the same whether you can afford to spend more on that segment or not.

There's a far bigger difference between minimalism and frugalism. Minimalists might only own three Brioni suits and have one Patek Phillippe in their Upper West Side studio apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2018, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
2,966 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Have you considered a Motorola? I used to be a Samsung person---until my husband cracked my screen and I had to get a new phone. I found an "older" version of a Moto Z Play was for sale and I got it for $110. I will NOT go back to Samsung. Still Android. Practically no bloatware. Battery is fantastic. Hardly have any issues with it. It is so underrated.
Phones vary far more by model than by maker. However, many do like the makers who ship a fairly naked version of Android over the ones that have a branded UI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2018, 01:45 PM
 
9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
Reputation: 13377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You can make the distinction, but I don't see what difference it makes in the end. Spending a limited or set amount on a living expense is much the same whether you can afford to spend more on that segment or not.

There's a far bigger difference between minimalism and frugalism. Minimalists might only own three Brioni suits and have one Patek Phillippe in their Upper West Side studio apartment.
the frugal person in me would have opted for the rolex and not the patek...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2018, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
15,145 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Reputation: 10872
You have to have to cheapo-gene to really stick to it. I think I have cheapiness as an inborn thing, penny-pinching is natural and kinda fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top