U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:05 PM

4,319 posts, read 5,268,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
In the short run, it's certainly cheaper to get the Subway sandwich than it is to go to the store and buy the ingredients, but that's not how it works in the long run. Basic sandwich ingredients can be used in a variety of ways. Tomatoes can be used in salads, cheese and meat in omelets, the bread in French toast -- see what I mean? It's not all about eating the same sandwich over and over. It's about long term savings (as well as probably getting better nutrition), and I'm surprised such a wildly successful businessman such as you claim to be doesn't get that.

I think people here understand that you don't care to spend your time in the kitchen, and you make a point of saying in almost every post that you have more money than most, so the only real conclusion is that you're in this and similar conversations for the purpose of shaming others and trying to build yourself up. Why would you want to do that? It's not a good look.
That's ridiculous, and to imply that has no basis. I just don't care to spend my time the way you do, clearly. I have other, better ways to spend my time than worrying about using up every ingredient or cooking some specific thing that saves money. Bottom line if you are shopping at the grocery store, that IS saving money! I don't care WHAT I buy when I'm there, it's always cheaper than eating out, and for me, that's good enough. I enjoy eating out a few times a week, too, it's just a nice thing to do. If you can't afford that, I totally understand, but if you can, it's enjoyable and I guarantee I can get a lot better food eating out than anyone here is making, sorry to say.

When you talk about making this, making that, I just think time, mess, and wastefulness. You value not wasting your money, I value not wasting my time. I can eat a bowl of cereal in 5 minutes, no mess. I can make a frozen dinner in 5-6 minutes while not even in the kitchen, and eat it fast, too. Then get on with my life. I can make a protein shake in 3 minutes and drink it while I work or watch a movie (which is also something I do for work as well). I can't imagine wasting a bunch of time every day on food, which is just a basic necessity, and it's not at all difficult to get all of your nutrition needs simply. They're really not complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 06:25 PM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You value not wasting your money, I value not wasting my time.
You don't have to be the one who does the work to benefit from the effort
but it is hard to get much cost benefit without several sharing those meals.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:31 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That's ridiculous, and to imply that has no basis. I just don't care to spend my time the way you do, clearly. I have other, better ways to spend my time than worrying about using up every ingredient or cooking some specific thing that saves money. Bottom line if you are shopping at the grocery store, that IS saving money! I don't care WHAT I buy when I'm there, it's always cheaper than eating out, and for me, that's good enough. I enjoy eating out a few times a week, too, it's just a nice thing to do. If you can't afford that, I totally understand, but if you can, it's enjoyable and I guarantee I can get a lot better food eating out than anyone here is making, sorry to say.

When you talk about making this, making that, I just think time, mess, and wastefulness. You value not wasting your money, I value not wasting my time. I can eat a bowl of cereal in 5 minutes, no mess. I can make a frozen dinner in 5-6 minutes while not even in the kitchen, and eat it fast, too. Then get on with my life. I can make a protein shake in 3 minutes and drink it while I work or watch a movie (which is also something I do for work as well). I can't imagine wasting a bunch of time every day on food, which is just a basic necessity, and it's not at all difficult to get all of your nutrition needs simply. They're really not complicated.
That isn't how I spend my time; I have neither the need nor the desire to nickel-and-dime everything to pieces. As I mentioned in this same thread, it's often more cost-effective for me to take my laptop to a local restaurant for lunch and continue working rather than stopping everything and preparing a meal. I also go out to eat often because I can and because I want to.

You're making a lot of ridiculous assumptions based on a simple explanation of how it isn't necessary to eat the same sandwich over and over if you purchase the individual ingredients instead of spending $5 at Subway. ETA people who know how to cook really don't fuss much trying to "figure out how to use up ingredients" -- it's just part of their skill set. No one is suggesting that you gain that skill set -- I doubt anyone here cares. Again, it was just an explanation of how people who understand these things wouldn't be eating the same sandwich over and over again unless that's what they wanted to do.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-29-2018 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 06:39 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
In the short run, it's certainly cheaper to get the Subway sandwich than it is to go to the store and buy the ingredients, but that's not how it works in the long run. Basic sandwich ingredients can be used in a variety of ways. Tomatoes can be used in salads, cheese and meat in omelets, the bread in French toast -- see what I mean? It's not all about eating the same sandwich over and over. It's about long term savings (as well as probably getting better nutrition), and I'm surprised such a wildly successful businessman such as you claim to be doesn't get that.

I think people here understand that you don't care to spend your time in the kitchen, and you make a point of saying in almost every post that you have more money than most, so the only real conclusion is that you're in this and similar conversations for the purpose of shaming others and trying to build yourself up. Why would you want to do that? It's not a good look.
I grow stuff. I like growing stuff.

Living here in New England, the food I produce does not match-up exactly 1 for 1 for what I eat, so we barter the rest. As a result we are able to eat a diet entirely of food grown within a 100-mile radius of where we live. Which is rather neat, I think.

And it keeps our food budget really low.

My Navy pension pays me less than what others say they spend on their food budget alone. Yet I could easily feed a dozen people.

Some people really value their money, others highly value their time. I just want to stop killing any more people.

I retired to get away from that lifestyle. I moved out into a rural area of dense forest, hoping that if I could avoid people that maybe if I focused on growing crops I could put the killing behind me.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:53 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I grow stuff. I like growing stuff.

Living here in New England, the food I produce does not match-up exactly 1 for 1 for what I eat, so we barter the rest. As a result we are able to eat a diet entirely of food grown within a 100-mile radius of where we live. Which is rather neat, I think.

And it keeps our food budget really low.

My Navy pension pays me less than what others say they spend on their food budget alone. Yet I could easily feed a dozen people.

Some people really value their money, others highly value their time. I just want to stop killing any more people.

I retired to get away from that lifestyle. I moved out into a rural area of dense forest, hoping that if I could avoid people that maybe if I focused on growing crops I could put the killing behind me.
I hope to be able to do more of this sort of thing after I retire. I own a seafood processing plant in Alaska that runs around the clock for five months out of the year, and there just isn't time to grow a garden. My property has a lot of wild berries on it, though, and we get all the fresh seafood we want -- just no real time to cook it.

I think you're the person who's posts actually got me interested in reading this forum -- I can't remember what thread it's in, but there was a long post you made that I found really inspiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or