U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 251 times

Advertisements

Hi mikefong123,

Thanks for the information, the beginning was very good were you have cleared the difference between Insurance Agent and Insurance Broker. Most of the people are not aware of this simple basics and at the end they regret on themselves for not getting the required coverage's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 04:25 PM

190 posts, read 77,479 times
I have an update from my insurance shopping.

My DH made some calls to another insurance company. It appears that the insurance we have will have the usual low rate for us. There is no coverage for car accident, just give us some money for car rental, our deductable would be covered.

If we switch to another company, we would pay $3,000 for coverage. This company said that our broker should take care of us and deal with the insurance company, which they haven't done.

It seems that other insurance company say that the broker should have been dealing with this.

It appears that I need a lawyer to get legal help and this certainly won't save me money and there is nothing frugal about this whole situation.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:24 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,535,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
It appears that I need a lawyer to get legal help and this certainly won't save me money and there is nothing frugal about this whole situation.
It's easier to be frugal about the day-to-day aspects of your normal life. So much of that is habit. However, when something unusual happens, there's only so much you can do to be frugal. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get it over with as soon as you can. Sometimes trying to fight it, procrastinate, and be difficult ends up costing you more.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:55 PM

3,454 posts, read 1,978,113 times
OP, insurance is NOT an area to be frugal about.

Getting tye BEST coverage that you can afford is your best hedge against devastation should soneone sue you.

I had neighbors who adult daughter flew in and was visiting from a state far away. They lent her their car to go out to visit old high school friends. She was backing out of their driveway and hit a motorcyclist racing down the street. Motorcyclist sued, AND they lost EVERYTHING. They were alliwed to keep clothes and personal momemtos and one months pension. They lost their house, bank accounts, investments, literally everything. He work fir a fortune top 10 company. Daughters insurance would not cover a dime as she was a) out of state, b) not driving their insured car she owned.

So not only should you have great car insurance, but great homeowners or renters, and an umbrella policy.

I hope they dont do to you what was done to my neighbor. So get insurance abd DON'T SKIMP.

otherwise youmay be about to find out what happens when sued beyond the limits of your policy...and win.

Good luck

Old 10-01-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It's easier to be frugal about the day-to-day aspects of your normal life. So much of that is habit. However, when something unusual happens, there's only so much you can do to be frugal. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get it over with as soon as you can. Sometimes trying to fight it, procrastinate, and be difficult ends up costing you more.
Thank you. If I asked for coverage of the car, they won't do it because it isn't worth it to them to fix the car if we get in another car accident.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
OP, insurance is NOT an area to be frugal about.

Getting tye BEST coverage that you can afford is your best hedge against devastation should soneone sue you.

I had neighbors who adult daughter flew in and was visiting from a state far away. They lent her their car to go out to visit old high school friends. She was backing out of their driveway and hit a motorcyclist racing down the street. Motorcyclist sued, AND they lost EVERYTHING. They were alliwed to keep clothes and personal momemtos and one months pension. They lost their house, bank accounts, investments, literally everything. He work fir a fortune top 10 company. Daughters insurance would not cover a dime as she was a) out of state, b) not driving their insured car she owned.

So not only should you have great car insurance, but great homeowners or renters, and an umbrella policy.

I hope they dont do to you what was done to my neighbor. So get insurance abd DON'T SKIMP.

otherwise youmay be about to find out what happens when sued beyond the limits of your policy...and win.

Good luck
I am surprised that the law sided on the motorcyclist who was speeding.
Interesting story. We don't own a home and it debt thanks to this insurance company.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 AM

5,470 posts, read 8,160,530 times
As a former insurance adjuster I would first get a new broker, and then look into getting a new company.

The simple fact is the "Not anything" means that she didn't even bother.
They might of only thrown you only $20 (so to speak) but the will give SOMETHING if you\she TRIED.

She didn't

Old 10-02-2018, 01:24 AM

5,470 posts, read 8,160,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
I am surprised that the law sided on the motorcyclist who was speeding.
Interesting story. We don't own a home and it debt thanks to this insurance company.
The "story" is either seriously incomplete or incorrect.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:08 PM

76 posts, read 16,412 times
Our friends drive about half the year
They take friends on vacations and stuff.
Attend many more events during the half of the year they have a car.
The other 50% of the year which encompasses 4 months of winter....they retreat inside their house more.
Spend that 6 months attending their churches bible study classes and hiking group meetings.

They use public transit non-oping their car (deeming it non-operational) thru DMV.
Seniors get a great deal on transit here. $7 round trip to go into town which is 35 miles away!!
Their car insurance is $60 a month. It would cost about $22 gas to drive into town, 35 minutes away, round trip, once a week

They save about $125 a month for 6 months or $750 yr on gas. Again, that doesn't count wear and tear so it's likely closer to $1000 yr.

Of course they still drive a little here and there....very short distances around town though cars are deemed non-op so they are not in any danger of not having transport during an emergency.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:08 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
The lesson in galaxyhi's story I guess is know what your policy will cover and what it won't, who's covered if they drive your car, and does the policy follow the car or the driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or