U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:59 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,765,271 times

Advertisements

It's much easier to get mistakes corrected right at the time, while you are standing right there with the items purchased. It just takes seconds to quickly scan your receipt.

I rarely find errors, but they do happen occassionally, often enough to make it worthwhile to double check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 11:23 AM

13,363 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
I go over the receipt but sometimes not until I get home. I've been overcharged a few times where the sale price was not in the computer. Have had no issue getting things correct at customer service.

Another thing I refuse to accept is bad food products. It's so easy just to toss something in the trash because it cost very little. However, in the past 7 days, I bought 4 Hass avocados. The first used was good. Then a couple of days later, I cut the other 3 one at a time. Each was partially rotted inside. Took those back and got an exchange. Voila!
Wow...I should try that - I always figured it was either the luck of the draw or my fault for not checking it over well enough.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:25 AM

13,363 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I do, most of the time. Not too long ago I did find that Costco charged me for two boxes of Haagen Dazs ice cream bars, when I had only bought one. They fixed it the following week. I normally use self-checkout at my local Fred Meyer, so I watch as prices appear on the display screen. A few weeks ago a dyslexic tried to charge me $31.50 for $13.50 tab, but I caught that one right away, as I always check restaurant bills very carefully.
So how does that work exactly when you've already taken the items home? How do you prove you only bought one?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:37 AM

5,868 posts, read 3,148,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So how does that work exactly when you've already taken the items home? How do you prove you only bought one?

It's Costco. They took my word for it. I'm sure they noticed I've been a member for a long time and I don't have a history of pulling scams on them. It was an honest mistake and they corrected it. Which is more than a lot of stores would do.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:00 PM

86 posts, read 27,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's Costco. They took my word for it. I'm sure they noticed I've been a member for a long time and I don't have a history of pulling scams on them. It was an honest mistake and they corrected it. Which is more than a lot of stores would do.
Costco's return policy is Grade A.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 09-24-2018 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 09-24-2018, 02:14 PM

8,232 posts, read 9,100,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I'm very leery of perishable products on sale - usually means they are ready for the dumpster and the store wants to try a last ditch effort to sell them.

Have seen dairy items on sale with the expiration date that day or the next.

Sometimes the store I worked in would have 2 for 1 sales, or just really low prices, but not because they were on the expiration wire. Sometimes they would get a very large shipment, especially on in season produce like berries. It always pays to check the bottom of the container though. In all my years there I can only remember two containers of strawberries and one bag of potatoes. I wasn't the only cashier, of course, but I figure those are pretty good odds.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:26 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,765,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That's why I check in the store. I move to the end of the counter and check really quickly.

I try to watch the actual scanning, but sometimes I can't see the first of it while I am unloading. Plus, at one store I use, I can't read the register's screen. Not sure why, odd angle or something.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:25 AM

2,174 posts, read 800,407 times
Mentally calculate the total before you get to the cashier, use rounding.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:32 PM

909 posts, read 505,626 times
Always check my receipt and look at how each item rings up during check out. I do not care if I save a couple cents, it adds up over time. Just think how much you would lose if each purchase did not ring up correctly. That is money lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living