U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:57 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,434,111 times

Advertisements

I was at Target today. Went because of some things on sale and do get their 5% off. I don't always check my receipt but I did today and glad I did. The cashier charged me twice for something I bought one of and charged me 3 times for something I bought 2 of. Huh? I caught this before I got out of the store and went to the customer service counter and took care of it. It came to over 6.00.

So, I guess it behooves us to check our receipts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 01:55 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
I tend to watch as cashiers ring up the items.
(Not being obsessive about each item, but paying a bit of attention that's all.)

And even when I'm not paying that much attention....when they tell me how much it is....I think I'd notice the bill was a little high (and question it) as soon as they told me, right then-and-there in front of the cashier.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:13 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,434,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I tend to watch as cashiers ring up the items.
(Not being obsessive about each item, but paying a bit of attention that's all.)

And even when I'm not paying that much attention....when they tell me how much it is....I think I'd notice the bill was a little high (and question it) as soon as they told me, right then-and-there in front of the cashier.

When I have put everything on the conveyor belt is one thing. But I had 40 cans of cat food to load and she started before I was finished. With the 5% off and a couple of coupons, hadn't figured out the total. Don't usually do that anyway.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:30 PM

17,281 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I was at Target today. Went because of some things on sale and do get their 5% off. I don't always check my receipt but I did today and glad I did. The cashier charged me twice for something I bought one of and charged me 3 times for something I bought 2 of. Huh? I caught this before I got out of the store and went to the customer service counter and took care of it. It came to over 6.00.

So, I guess it behooves us to check our receipts.

The vet charged me twice yesterday for clipping of claws...$14 x 2

Yes, check receipts. That's been the most common that I've seen, charging twice or even three times for same item.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:15 PM

86 posts, read 26,759 times
I go over the receipt but sometimes not until I get home. I've been overcharged a few times where the sale price was not in the computer. Have had no issue getting things correct at customer service.

Another thing I refuse to accept is bad food products. It's so easy just to toss something in the trash because it cost very little. However, in the past 7 days, I bought 4 Hass avocados. The first used was good. Then a couple of days later, I cut the other 3 one at a time. Each was partially rotted inside. Took those back and got an exchange. Voila!

Old 09-21-2018, 05:33 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
I was getting ready for a trip a couple of weeks ago, and grabbed a few items from the travel-size display. Everything rang up at 99 cents, except a tiny tube of a leave-in hair conditioner, which scanned at $13.49. I caught it at the register, the cashier rescanned and confirmed that was the price, so I had it removed from my order. There was nothing on the display regarding the price. I'm just glad I saw it as it happened, and didn't have to make a return trip to the store.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 PM

5,855 posts, read 3,139,843 times
I do, most of the time. Not too long ago I did find that Costco charged me for two boxes of Haagen Dazs ice cream bars, when I had only bought one. They fixed it the following week. I normally use self-checkout at my local Fred Meyer, so I watch as prices appear on the display screen. A few weeks ago a dyslexic tried to charge me $31.50 for $13.50 tab, but I caught that one right away, as I always check restaurant bills very carefully.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 PM

16,702 posts, read 20,456,636 times
I am on a strict budget, and keep a basic running tab in my mind while I'm shopping, so if the cashier gives me an amount way out of line with my running estimate, I will check everything while I'm still standing there.

I also really hate it when I get home, if something spoils way faster than it should. I recently bought some strawberries on sale at basically 2 for 1, but after only one day in the fridge, about 1/2 of them were bad - so I really ended up paying full price. Not worth the gas or the hassle to take them back, but I won't be buying produce at that store ever again. Or, at least, I will never trust their sale items again in produce.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:19 PM

9,340 posts, read 8,732,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I am on a strict budget, and keep a basic running tab in my mind while I'm shopping, so if the cashier gives me an amount way out of line with my running estimate, I will check everything while I'm still standing there.

I also really hate it when I get home, if something spoils way faster than it should. I recently bought some strawberries on sale at basically 2 for 1, but after only one day in the fridge, about 1/2 of them were bad - so I really ended up paying full price. Not worth the gas or the hassle to take them back, but I won't be buying produce at that store ever again. Or, at least, I will never trust their sale items again in produce.
I'm very leery of perishable products on sale - usually means they are ready for the dumpster and the store wants to try a last ditch effort to sell them.

Have seen dairy items on sale with the expiration date that day or the next.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:38 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I'm very leery of perishable products on sale - usually means they are ready for the dumpster and the store wants to try a last ditch effort to sell them.

Have seen dairy items on sale with the expiration date that day or the next.
Yeah...I usually only buy perishable sale items if I'm planning on using them that day or maybe the next day. Unless it's something I can toss in the freezer, like meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living