Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:37 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times

Advertisements

Septic systems just pollute the aquifer. AFAIK septic systems are only in rural areas. Most if not all of L.A. outlawed them years ago. Or at least I've never heard of one in decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 02:43 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Ivory runs about 75 cents a bar. How much cheaper can you get once you consider all costs?
Ivory eats my skin off! My mother and grandmother had the same problem, so, guess it runs in the family I can wash my hands with it, but if I shower or wash my face with it my skin burns and itches for hours! Its the one soap I can't use! I've found it popular in hotels, hospitals, etc, so I've learned to carry my own soap while traveling. Oftentimes Ivory is re-packaged as a hotel brand, but I recognize the smell.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Ivory isn't soap. It's what we soapmakers call a "det bar," it's detergent from a chemical factory. It isn't soap! Detergent wrecks most people's skins.

If you absolutely have to buy store soap, I recommend only Neutrogena (unscented, transparent) or Pears (also transparent). My own soap is my version of Indigo Wild's Zum Bars, available online.

If you use detergent bars you may have horrible skin, but you can fix that quickly by using either the transparent soaps above, or "cold process" soap like mine and Indigo Wild's. (I think you can buy a loaf to save on the bar cost, and get one of those rippled potato cutters to chop it.)

If your skin is wrecked I recommend CeraVe skin moisturizer, and of course in the economy size. It kicks arse on Neutrogena's skin moisturizer (in my experience).

If you really want cheap, go swim in the ocean and rub sand on your body before swimming back to rinse off the sand, then use the public shower to wash off the salt. BTW bathing in salt water is really great! I make salt bars to simulate the experience.

BTW salt bars last almost forever. I've never seen harder soap!

Old 10-12-2018, 11:45 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Septic systems just pollute the aquifer. AFAIK septic systems are only in rural areas. Most if not all of L.A. outlawed them years ago. Or at least I've never heard of one in decades.

There's a lot more world outside L.A.! I have relatives living in suburban areas of WA and OR who have always been on septic systems. I haven't been on a municipal sewer system in decades and I've lived in at least 8 states. A properly-designed, permitted, installed, and maintained septic system (and that includes knowing what and what not to pour down a drain) doesn't pollute aquifers. In fact I'd suggest that large-scale municipal waste water treatment plants do a lot more harm to aquifers than individual septic systems do. By the time each soil-filtered septic runoff hits an aquifer it is fairly clean and didn't involve the use of pretty intensely toxic treatment chemicals.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-12-2018 at 12:29 PM..

Old 10-12-2018, 12:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Quote:
And gosh, LA actually is the entire United States!

There are tens of millions of septic systems, even in moderately dense semi-rural developments. And, no, they don't pollute the aquifer. Most houses that have a leach field on one side of the property have a (frequently tested) well on the other, no more than a few hundred feet away. You obviously have no idea how a septic system works.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:17 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Quote:
Ivory isn't soap. It's what we soapmakers call a "det bar," it's detergent from a chemical factory. It isn't soap!
Horse 'ockeys and nonsense. There is an Ivory-brand mild detergent for laundry purposes, but "Ivory Soap" is... soap. A high-pH, lye-based soap. The harshness some people experience with it is in part from traces of unconverted lye. Gentler soaps use a non-lye formula.

"The Ivory soap bar (classic) contained: sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate or sodium palm kernelate, water, sodium chloride, sodium silicate, magnesium sulfate, and fragrance." Not a detergent in there; detergents aren't made from fat (the first three ingredients listed).

Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Ivory isn't soap. It's what we soapmakers call a "det bar," it's detergent from a chemical factory. It isn't soap! Detergent wrecks most people's skins.

If you absolutely have to buy store soap, I recommend only Neutrogena (unscented, transparent) or Pears (also transparent). My own soap is my version of Indigo Wild's Zum Bars, available online.

If you use detergent bars you may have horrible skin, but you can fix that quickly by using either the transparent soaps above, or "cold process" soap like mine and Indigo Wild's. (I think you can buy a loaf to save on the bar cost, and get one of those rippled potato cutters to chop it.)

If your skin is wrecked I recommend CeraVe skin moisturizer, and of course in the economy size. It kicks arse on Neutrogena's skin moisturizer (in my experience).

If you really want cheap, go swim in the ocean and rub sand on your body before swimming back to rinse off the sand, then use the public shower to wash off the salt. BTW bathing in salt water is really great! I make salt bars to simulate the experience.

BTW salt bars last almost forever. I've never seen harder soap!
Finally, someone has validated my experience with Ivory Soap Like I said, my mother and grandmother couldn't use it, either. It was so bad I had to indicate I was allergic to Ivory while in hospitals, because that was all they used. I brought my own soap, so what was it to them? But they'd argue the point---who told you you're allergic to Ivory? What happens? You can't expect us to buy you special soap....and so on...like I said, I brought my own soap! Once on a trip with some friends I noticed it was Ivory soap in the bathroom, and I warned my friends not to use it. I even offered them some of my own -- Dial -- for traveling I usually cut a bar into quarters and put in baggies so it wouldn't be like they were using someone else's bar. They all scorned my advice, I think they thought I was peddling some expensive brand, but honest, all I use is Dial, or similar. Ok, next day, they felt it, in addition to nasty sunburns! Their choice!

Its amazing how many people take umbrage that I pack my own soap. You brought your own soap Yes, I did

Old 10-17-2018, 08:25 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
^^^A definite deal-breaker!

Sometimes I'd like to time-travel to the past, then I think "Noooo…..the smell!"
Quote:
I'd travel to the past and make some investments (while I hold my nose) and then GTFO. Back in the future I'd cash out and woo hoo!

I believe that is why perfume was invented, to cover body odor due to that era's custom of not bathing daily. Ew, and the powdered wigs?
Ya'll should read Diana Gabaldon's time traveling Outlander series. Wonderful historical detail, including the odors!

I've used Ivory soap on my face for about 70 years with no problems at all. I have really oily skin, and I do not like "moisturizing" soaps. DH likes Dove, though. I bathe with Safeguard. I use the stick-the-old-bar-to-the-new-bar method of soap conservation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living