U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:21 AM

5,577 posts, read 1,944,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I disagree that few households need more than 25-40. The US average is 63 mbps. So if you are 25-40, you are way below the average. HD video streams at upto about 70 mbps. So if you want to cut the cord and be able to watch good quality video on the internet, you need more than 40 mbps. My connection was recently upgraded from 65 mbps to 115 mbps. Before the upgrade, sometimes HD video would buffer. Now it's perfect, all the time.
Almost complete nonsense.

First, who cares what the "US average" is? It's the product of what people have been sold, or told they need, because it costs the provider next to nothing to provide higher speeds on the same system. So paying more for 100 than for, say, 40 is just free revenue to the cable company.

HD streams at 6mpbs. You could look it up. I don't know where you got 70 unless you're counting the uncompressed stream from a BR player or digital files. All cable content is compressed and often bandwidth limited. A 24mbps connection will allow three HD streams without buffering or delays, and a margin for other uses at the same time.

4K streams at a more variable rate up to about 14mbps, so 25 might be marginal for two simultaneous viewers, but it's more than adequate for one 4K and one or two HD viewers. Remember, all of that is at the same time - you can have twenty people who watch HD at different times of the day and no problems. It's not some absolute quantity, but how much data can flow at any one moment. And your local loop speeds are only part of overall delivery speeds - you can have 1GB fiber and still have Netflix buffer if other parts of the connection are overloaded.

Network speeds are the most oversold commodity in the country. Save your money, go with a tier that actually serves your needs, and upgrade to a higher speed only when it has no net cost to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 01:08 PM

4,589 posts, read 1,785,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Almost complete nonsense.

First, who cares what the "US average" is? It's the product of what people have been sold, or told they need, because it costs the provider next to nothing to provide higher speeds on the same system. So paying more for 100 than for, say, 40 is just free revenue to the cable company.

HD streams at 6mpbs. You could look it up. I don't know where you got 70 unless you're counting the uncompressed stream from a BR player or digital files. All cable content is compressed and often bandwidth limited. A 24mbps connection will allow three HD streams without buffering or delays, and a margin for other uses at the same time.

4K streams at a more variable rate up to about 14mbps, so 25 might be marginal for two simultaneous viewers, but it's more than adequate for one 4K and one or two HD viewers. Remember, all of that is at the same time - you can have twenty people who watch HD at different times of the day and no problems. It's not some absolute quantity, but how much data can flow at any one moment. And your local loop speeds are only part of overall delivery speeds - you can have 1GB fiber and still have Netflix buffer if other parts of the connection are overloaded.

Network speeds are the most oversold commodity in the country. Save your money, go with a tier that actually serves your needs, and upgrade to a higher speed only when it has no net cost to you.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Here are my stats for a 4K YouTube video. 71856 Kbps. Before my upgrade to 115 Mbps I couldn't even watch 4K video like this, and even HD videos often buffered and looked like crap.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. Here are my stats for a 4K YouTube video. 71856 Kbps. Before my upgrade to 115 Mbps I couldn't even watch 4K video like this, and even HD videos often buffered and looked like crap.
And now we're into total nonsense.
  1. Opens his mouth and proves what was already known;
  2. Doesn't seem to notice that his quoted "average speed in the US" is too slow, by his facts, to stream HD video (so I guess we're all just imagining it);
  3. Doesn't seem to remember when 24mbps or so was the premium tier and served a whole household of viewers just fine. (And still does, just fine, which several hundred million of us know.)
  4. Doesn't have a clue that YouTube is not cable-standard streaming video, any more than the signal from his Blu-Ray player is (because all digital video is the same, you know).

(Trust me, folks: he's so completely wrong here there isn't room to correct all his misapprehensions.)

Old 10-05-2018, 03:53 PM

30,315 posts, read 48,557,477 times

Sometimes I can get as high as 3.0Mbps down and 0.8 up.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Sometimes I can get as high as 3.0Mbps down and 0.8 up.
Hey, that was fast... in about 1998. :P

I have a long story about a telco pulling out all the stops to get me this full rated speed even though I was way out on the line. But I got it.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And now we're into total nonsense.
  1. Opens his mouth and proves what was already known;
  2. Doesn't seem to notice that his quoted "average speed in the US" is too slow, by his facts, to stream HD video (so I guess we're all just imagining it);
  3. Doesn't seem to remember when 24mbps or so was the premium tier and served a whole household of viewers just fine. (And still does, just fine, which several hundred million of us know.)
  4. Doesn't have a clue that YouTube is not cable-standard streaming video, any more than the signal from his Blu-Ray player is (because all digital video is the same, you know).
What the hell does that even mean "YouTube is not cable-standard streaming video"? YouTube is the biggest streaming video service on the internet and they provide a streaming subscription service of cable TV programs on their platform. It's as cable standard streaming video as you can get. And please don't tell me what I remember or not. I'll tell you what I remember.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:21 PM

With 3.0Mbps down we can watch anything on Youtube.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:30 PM

2,358 posts, read 1,139,324 times
Quote:
yea for one person..on one device.. any more connections i bet you buffer like a wax machine

Old 10-05-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
You can watch anything on YouTube, but not in high definition. Which means the video is not going to look very good. Since this thread is about cord cutting, I'm guessing the OP and others are looking for something comparable to broadcast quality HD video, which you are not going to get on below average internet speeds.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 10-05-2018 at 05:56 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
yea for one person..on one device.. any more connections i bet you buffer like a wax machine
I watch stuff on a laptop. My Dw watches stuff on her laptop. We can both watch stuff on our laptops from Netflix or youtube without any difficulty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living