U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 05:57 PM

4,589 posts, read 1,785,801 times

Advertisements

Youtube offers these resolutions.
144p
240p
360p
480p
720p HD
1080p HD
1440p HD
2160p 4K
4320p 8K

If you want to see what quality you are getting, play this video. Then go to the settings and check what quality the video is playing in. For the record I can't even watch 8K on my 115 mbps connection, without getting the "Experiencing interruptions?" blue box. I'm not sure what speed you would need to watch that, but mine is not enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-RjGEWW3nk&t=140s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 06:08 PM

30,315 posts, read 48,557,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
144p
240p
360p
480p
720p HD
1080p HD
1440p HD
2160p 4K
4320p 8K

If you want to see what quality you are getting, play this video. Then go to the settings and check what quality the video is playing in. For the record I can't even watch 8K on my 115 mbps connection, without getting the "Experiencing interruptions?" blue box. I'm not sure what speed you would need to watch that, but mine is not enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-RjGEWW3nk&t=140s
Thank you. I thought those graphics were great.

My system 'auto' set itself to 360p.
I tried 480p and it worked just fine.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Thank you. I thought those graphics were great.

My system 'auto' set itself to 360p.
I tried 480p and it worked just fine.
Well there you go. You are watching standard definition, not high definition video. I guess if you are used to watching standard definition cable channels, it might be OK for cord cutting. But if you are used to watching HD channels, it's probably not a good option for cord cutting.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:52 PM

280 posts, read 114,400 times
youtubetv is great
so glad i canned cablevision
35 bucks a month including taxes and it has channels i actually want.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Well there you go. You are watching standard definition, not high definition video. I guess if you are used to watching standard definition cable channels,
It has been decades since I lived in a town that had cable.

Quote:
... it might be OK for cord cutting. But if you are used to watching HD channels, it's probably not a good option for cord cutting.
My solar panels only put so much power into our batteries each day. How I decide to expend that power is a daily decision. That does influence where I decide to spend any more money into improving my standard-of-living.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
It has been decades since I lived in a town that had cable.
My solar panels only put so much power into our batteries each day. How I decide to expend that power is a daily decision. That does influence where I decide to spend any more money into improving my standard-of-living.
Have you checked to see if your ISP offers any faster plan? DSL can be faster than what you are getting. Until about 5 years ago, I had AT&T DSL. I think I was paying for a 18 mbps plan, and I was actually getting about 13 - 14 mbps. It was slow, but still it's better than what you are getting.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Have you checked to see if your ISP offers any faster plan? DSL can be faster than what you are getting. Until about 5 years ago, I had AT&T DSL. I think I was paying for a 18 mbps plan, and I was actually getting about 13 - 14 mbps. It was slow, but still it's better than what you are getting.
My understanding is that the physical DSLAM junction box that puts the signal onto twisted-copper pairs is located in the next adjacent town. From that junction box, it is all twisted-copper pairs that reach into our township, there is a recommended length those twisted-copper pairs can run before the signal degrades. To reach my home the maximum optimum length of those wires has been exceeded by over 5 miles.

The phone company has a standing offer that we can use their landline for audio telephones, but the noise ratio is far too high for anyone to make out voices on the telephone using those landlines.

We are fortunate to have a cell phone tower in our town, so we can get a strong cell phone signal. We have that tower because of I-95 cutting through our town. Towns to our West and to our East do not have I-95, so they do not get cell phone towers either. Most towns in our region do not have cell phone coverage.

The speeds we are getting is the best this ISP has to offer.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
My understanding is that the physical DSLAM junction box that puts the signal onto twisted-copper pairs is located in the next adjacent town. From that junction box, it is all twisted-copper pairs that reach into our township, there is a recommended length those twisted-copper pairs can run before the signal degrades. To reach my home the maximum optimum length of those wires has been exceeded by over 5 miles.

The phone company has a standing offer that we can use their landline for audio telephones, but the noise ratio is far too high for anyone to make out voices on the telephone using those landlines.

We are fortunate to have a cell phone tower in our town, so we can get a strong cell phone signal. We have that tower because of I-95 cutting through our town. Towns to our West and to our East do not have I-95, so they do not get cell phone towers either. Most towns in our region do not have cell phone coverage.

The speeds we are getting is the best this ISP has to offer.
Have you looked at your wireless internet options? It's not the best option, but it might still beat the speed you are getting.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Have you looked at your wireless internet options? It's not the best option, but it might still beat the speed you are getting.
My Dw and I are okay using our flip phones.

A couple years ago my Dw upgraded to a smart phone because she wanted to swipe CCs for her business. We went to the cell phone company multiple times to verify that the plan we were using was the lowest price plan possible. But it was more per month then what we pay for a year with our flip phones.

She really was not swiping that many CCs, most of our customers prefer to deal in cash anyway. So at the earliest date that we could get out of her smart phone contract, we canceled it.

She never used it to surf the internet, she only wants a phone.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:51 AM

5,577 posts, read 1,944,102 times
Quote:
CD, when you finally grasp that YouTube on your computer is in almost no way equivalent to the "cable" streaming system on TVs used by many tens of millions, you might understand why you are posting almost complete nonsense in this thread.

For one thing, YouTube is continually experimenting with different technology and what one test region has might not represent what's available across the US. And supporting blinding speeds for a few savvy users in the interest of hype and experimentation is not the same thing as allowing all users - or any significant fraction of future users - to access those speeds.

The field is evolving. Some "cable" TV providers are ratcheting up speeds - sometimes quietly, with no promises or notice, sometimes as an extra-pay feature with caveats.

But nothing has changed the basic formula that the vast majority of streaming channels deliver HD at 6mbps and (if they offer it) 4K at about 12-14. That represents the maximum compression most viewers will stand, resulting in the smallest net bandwidth they have to accommodate for hundreds of thousands of users simultaneously. Meaning 24-25mpbs is more than adequate for a household of users whose goal is cutting their costs, not paying premium amounts for top-tier service options.

You want to pay extra for high internet speeds and gloat at your stream rate like an idiot gamer who boasts about 120fps all the time? Fine. But this isn't a thread about maxed-out possibilities; it's a thread about getting cable- to somewhat-better-than-cable video for a lot less than Comcast or Cox wants to charge.

It's not about getting studio-grade 4K on a computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living