U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:47 PM

118 posts, read 205,884 times

Advertisements

I am trying to see if it is worth cutting the cord from Verizon FiOS. It costs around 126.50 for a barebones package with phone/internet/cable. I was thinking of getting rid of the cable and moving the phone over to Ooma and maybe get Youtube TV. I do not know the new taxes and fees for both Youtube TV and just cable, but I am assuming it would bring my cost down to around $100 bucks a month or around a savings around $26 bucks.

Anyone think it's worth it? I have Roku TVs, and only watch a few channels. Ironically, I usually watch Youtube, Amazon Prime or Netflix. Just trying to cut costs. This of course assumes everything goes smoothly. Is it worth the change for $26 bucks a month savings? In addition, would I be able to downgrade my contract with Verizon FiOS to just Internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 03:31 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,934,218 times
We use Verizon FIOS 100 Mbps and use Amazon Prime, Netflix and TikiLive. This comes to around $95 a month for everything including the Internet, and we are really happy with it. TikiLive includes free DVR and all the major channels we like. We also use Fire TV sticks on our TVs which makes all of this incredibly convenient. It's more entertainment than we can watch.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:44 PM

2,975 posts, read 3,002,442 times
If you cut FIOS how will you get your internet service?

Old 10-02-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
We use Verizon FIOS 100 Mbps and use Amazon Prime, Netflix and TikiLive. This comes to around $95 a month for everything including the Internet, and we are really happy with it. TikiLive includes free DVR and all the major channels we like. We also use Fire TV sticks on our TVs which makes all of this incredibly convenient. It's more entertainment than we can watch.
I will look into this Tiki live. Thank you.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
If you cut FIOS how will you get your internet service?
I would keep the internet cancel the phone and cable as stated above.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:08 PM

1,329 posts, read 412,699 times
I haven't had a land line phone or cable TV for years. I don't miss either.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:00 PM

30,292 posts, read 48,487,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggy View Post
Cord cutting from Verizon FiOS?
I have never lived anywhere that has had 'FiOS' available.

Our local landline company provides dsl for about $20/month.

There is no cable company in our town.

We watch media using Youtube and netflix.

We do not have 'Roku' or a TV

We had a landline phone, but the line had a lot of noise. Our cellphone has a much better signal.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:17 PM

4,566 posts, read 1,766,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I haven't had a land line phone or cable TV for years. I don't miss either.
Me either. I haven't had cable TV in over 15 years, or a landline in over 10 years.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:43 PM

5,598 posts, read 1,911,853 times
The three rules of (cable) cord cutting:

1) Cancel all services except the best deal for internet you can get, which might be from a different provider. You don't need to consider their other services or cable channels; just net connection quality, reliability and cost.
1a)Take the slowest service offered, down to about 25mbps. Very few households need more than that and 25-40 is increasingly is a 'bargain' tier available at a very reasonable cost.
1b) Buy your own modem (for cable; it's not really worthwhile for most DSL/ADSL). This saves $10 a month.
1c) Buy your own WiFi router as well. This lets you control your own system access.
2) Switch your home/landline service to a third party provider like Vonage. There are cheaper; there are "free" ones if you buy the adapter; Vonage is a very good place to start if you don't have deep technical knowledge. It has an app for both iOS and Android, so you can have the same number ring both home and remote. Very convenient.

3) Buy a Roku (preferred) or Fire TV device (only if you already have Amazon Prime).

Everything else is a matter of choosing what video services you want, free and pay.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:15 AM

4,566 posts, read 1,766,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The three rules of (cable) cord cutting:

1) Cancel all services except the best deal for internet you can get, which might be from a different provider. You don't need to consider their other services or cable channels; just net connection quality, reliability and cost.
1a)Take the slowest service offered, down to about 25mbps. Very few households need more than that and 25-40 is increasingly is a 'bargain' tier available at a very reasonable cost.
1b) Buy your own modem (for cable; it's not really worthwhile for most DSL/ADSL). This saves $10 a month.
1c) Buy your own WiFi router as well. This lets you control your own system access.
2) Switch your home/landline service to a third party provider like Vonage. There are cheaper; there are "free" ones if you buy the adapter; Vonage is a very good place to start if you don't have deep technical knowledge. It has an app for both iOS and Android, so you can have the same number ring both home and remote. Very convenient.

3) Buy a Roku (preferred) or Fire TV device (only if you already have Amazon Prime).

Everything else is a matter of choosing what video services you want, free and pay.
I disagree that few households need more than 25-40. The US average is 63 mbps. So if you are 25-40, you are way below the average. HD video streams at upto about 70 mbps. So if you want to cut the cord and be able to watch good quality video on the internet, you need more than 40 mbps. My connection was recently upgraded from 65 mbps to 115 mbps. Before the upgrade, sometimes HD video would buffer. Now it's perfect, all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living