U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2018, 03:19 PM
 
11,389 posts, read 6,441,030 times
Reputation: 6150

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I don't think there's a lick of sense in this, other than the gist that consumer demand changes over time.

I haven't seen broadband of even the 3-6mpbs DSL level for less than about $35 for a long, long time, and it was only in the $20 range in denser city areas. Even decent dialup was around $30 until the desperation days of $10/month unlimited before it croaked.

Broadband access is a commodity that tends towards price points over technical matters - the providers look for an optimum number of users at the highest collective price, and deliver whatever level of services supports that cost for those users. That is, there's always a $40 or so option - it's just gotten faster and faster over the years. Within a certain range, it costs the provider no more to provide a wide range of speeds; convincing users they need much higher speeds is just free revenue.

If the droves cutting overpriced and bloated cable services have kicked the props out of loss-leader internet... oh, well. You can still go for the triple bundles with free HBO, you know.
I have $15 internet (grandfathered in and now $20) which was available to anyone for $15 up until Time Warner was bought by Charter Communications about 2 years ago. Before that I had $10 DSL through AT&T. The cheapest service now is around $50 which after taxes and fees is closer to $55-60/month.

I couldn’t care less about 50 or 100+ Mb internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
3,036 posts, read 1,028,996 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We get 2mpbs 'dsl' for $30/month from our phone company.
Which pretty much confirms my point. Wow, you must be at the long tag end of the wire - I got 3+3 even at about 97% distance, way back when.

Quote:
Our other 'option' is to go with a satellite dish.
For which you need the copper connection for the (very slow) uplink. As long as you aren't sending much more than URL requests, it doesn't matter. But your kid will be grown up before you can get her 6th grade picture up to Grandma.
[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
3,036 posts, read 1,028,996 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I have $15 internet (grandfathered in and now $20)
There are many people on grandfathered, long-term contract and bundled prices that are still low. You have to talk in terms of what someone choosing service now can get.

Quote:
I couldnít care less about 50 or 100+ Mb internet.
As I've said before, there are very few households (or smaller businesses) that need more than about 25mpbs, which is either a bottom/discount tier these days, or moot because the lowest speed is around 40. But the marketing power of Comcast et al. is mighty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 PM
 
11,389 posts, read 6,441,030 times
Reputation: 6150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There are many people on grandfathered, long-term contract and bundled prices that are still low. You have to talk in terms of what someone choosing service now can get.
I believe that was my point. This is a “frugal” subforum and I’m discussing how frugal internet is no longer an option in many places.


Quote:
As I've said before, there are very few households (or smaller businesses) that need more than about 25mpbs, which is either a bottom/discount tier these days, or moot because the lowest speed is around 40. But the marketing power of Comcast et al. is mighty.
And when 100+ Mb becomes the standard norm, those that can get by on 3-10Mb (I’d say A LOT of people) will be paying what the going rate is...be it $60 or $80+ years from now.. Thus, cable providers will be increasing their revenues through internet services to somewhat make up for people dropping TV services...not that I blame them, it’s a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
3,036 posts, read 1,028,996 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I believe that was my point. This is a “frugal” subforum and I’m discussing how frugal internet is no longer an option in many places.
Sure it is. Just because the prices you got 10 years ago and hung onto through things like grandfathered buyouts aren't available doesn't mean there aren't frugal rates out there for the taking.

The basic rule is

(1) look at ALL internet providers in your area, not only the ones that provide cable and phone and other services and bundles, and compare them ONLY on the basis of speed, price and reliability of their internet. Nothing else matters. It doesn't matter that Provider B only has half the cable channels of Provider A any more, or doesn't carry the full sports package, or whatever. You no longer care.

(2) dig for the basic chart of rates, not the promos and the bundles and what they want to sell. These days, you may be looking for the "low income" or "lifeline" rate of 15-20mbps, or their "basic" tier of 24-25mbps. There aren't going to be billboard ads for this - you're ghetto scum for even asking.

Quote:
And when 100+ Mb becomes the standard norm, those that can get by on 3-10Mb (I’d say A LOT of people) will be paying what the going rate is...be it $60 or $80+ years from now.
There will always be that basic tier at a bargain rate, from most providers and available to most households. If it's 100mbps, who cares? It's all about not getting suckered into PAYING EXTRA for speeds you don't need, or choosing a provider based on services you no longer care about.

Sure, they do everything they can to oversell you on high-profit options (there being essentially no operating cost difference between most speed tiers). But they always have a seat in the back for cheapskates who don't want to pay for first class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 04:04 PM
 
11,389 posts, read 6,441,030 times
Reputation: 6150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Sure it is. Just because the prices you got 10 years ago and hung onto through things like grandfathered buyouts aren't available doesn't mean there aren't frugal rates out there for the taking.

The basic rule is

(1) look at ALL internet providers in your area, not only the ones that provide cable and phone and other services and bundles, and compare them ONLY on the basis of speed, price and reliability of their internet. Nothing else matters. It doesn't matter that Provider B only has half the cable channels of Provider A any more, or doesn't carry the full sports package, or whatever. You no longer care.

(2) dig for the basic chart of rates, not the promos and the bundles and what they want to sell. These days, you may be looking for the "low income" or "lifeline" rate of 15-20mbps, or their "basic" tier of 24-25mbps. There aren't going to be billboard ads for this - you're ghetto scum for even asking.


There will always be that basic tier at a bargain rate, from most providers and available to most households. If it's 100mbps, who cares? It's all about not getting suckered into PAYING EXTRA for speeds you don't need, or choosing a provider based on services you no longer care about.
10 years ago? Try 2 years ago. I basically stopped reading upon that correction. All I know is that there was once several options around $20 bucks out the door and now youíre looking at $60. Thatís a little more than typical inflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
3,036 posts, read 1,028,996 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
10 years ago? Try 2 years ago. I basically stopped reading upon that correction. All I know is that there was once several options around $20 bucks out the door and now youíre looking at $60. Thatís a little more than typical inflation.
Okay, great, you had nickel-and-dime internet two years ago. Not many people did. Sorry for your loss; thoughts and prayers; etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 04:11 PM
 
11,389 posts, read 6,441,030 times
Reputation: 6150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Okay, great, you had nickel-and-dime internet two years ago. Not many people did. Sorry for your loss; thoughts and prayers; etc.
I wasnít really asking for sympathy but thanks anyway.

Nickel and dime internet, lol. It either does what you need or it doesnít. Thatís kinda like slighting a $20 TV service despite it having all the channels you want to watch. I often see people I know paying $80 for ďfastĒ internet despite the fact that they arenít doing anything to see any real benefits...donít want to get the ďnickel and dimeĒ cheap stuff though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2018, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,730 posts, read 47,517,527 times
Reputation: 17582
So weird reading about these "low income" or "lifeline" rate of 15-20mbps, or their "basic" tier of 24-25mbps." When the fastest speed available in our town is still 2mbps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2018, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
15,196 posts, read 15,225,705 times
Reputation: 10912
Most of the time, tapping into open-networks is not a really reliable way to get internet-access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top